IGNORED

Passive golf swing?

SubPar
Note: This thread is 4515 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

We can do the clinic. All Ron needs is for a few people on this forum to indicate an interest.

It looks like this thread was kind of revived from the dead, but if there's still talk of a clinic, I'm down for any help I can get!

Consider this an indication of interest.

Consider this an indication of interest.

Anyone intersted in doing a clinic with Del Barrio, send him a private message (flogger). He can collect contact info and settle on a date. I would assume a weekend day would be best since some people would be coming from the OC and other far-flung parts of SoCal.

SubPar

• 3 weeks later...
Pretty interesting...especially his head in the slo-mo swings. He's looking down the target line well before impact

I noticed the same thing! It is really obvious in slow motion.

Driver: MP-600 9.5 w/ Fujikura E360 Stiff Shaft
4 Wood: F-60 16.5 w/ Exsar FS3 Stiff Shaft
Irons:MP-57 3-PW w/ Dynamic Gold S300 Shafts
Wedges: MP-R Black-Ni 52, 56, & 60
Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: ProV1/ProV1xGrips: Winn Xi7

I tried this briefly the other day at the range. Looking up before hitting the ball felt very strange but somehow I kept striking the ball very sweetly time after time.
My only reservation was a certain loss of feel for swing speed when using this technique with a PW when seeking the pin because I was purely turning my shoulders to swing the club through.

The head rotation thing, a la Annika, seems to be getting some attention. Trevor Immelman mentions it in this month's Golf Digest. Even Tiger mentioned a few issues back that he's been working on allowing his head to rotate forward through impact, although I haven't noticed if he's doing it.

Yeah, after a couple of swings Annika came to mind for me too. His head seems to rotate forward even quicker than hers.

I've seen this debate so many times. I have gone the passive route before and it certainly help reinforce the idea of keeping the body and arms in sync but it just didn't quite do it for me. I don't think you can be completely passive on the downswing. On the initial move yes, but at some part I need to really let my arms go. And about this head thing again. Has anyone discussed the tendency for one to lift the body or spine as one lifts the head. It seems one would have to adjust to that. However, I am intrigued and frankly think it would help me correct what I think is an abbreviated follow through on my shots.

My Clubs
Nicklaus Progressive XC Irons: 3H,4H, 5-GW
Ray Cook SW & Gyro 1 Putter
Taylor Made Burner Driver 10.5
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

I spent some time at the range last night working on the "no ball" concept and trying to incorporate Ron's points on head turn. I hit the ball straighter with a better trajectory when I get the timing right, but initially to get that motion in sync I am not taking a "full cut". The distance only comes when the core rotation and release are on 'full shot' tempo... AND I trap the ball perfectly. The thing about Ron is that he hits down on the back of the ball and his hands in perfect position the maximize the ball speed. Even if I get everything else right I still have issues with hitting the ball on a downward trajectory BEFORE I hit the ground.

Thanks. Great tips for a relaxed in the swing in that video.

My Clubs
Nicklaus Progressive XC Irons: 3H,4H, 5-GW
Ray Cook SW & Gyro 1 Putter
Taylor Made Burner Driver 10.5
Taylor Made V-Steel 3 & 5 MetalsMy Home Course: Indian RiverMy Blog: Rant-o-Rama-Ding-Dong

Thanks. Great tips for a relaxed in the swing in that video.

I have been getting better and better results letting my head turn as I strike the ball, but takes a long time to make a change like this become a natural part of your swing.

When I let go of the need to look at the ball I get higher trajectory, more spin, more carry and hit more on my intended target line. But still after years of hearing "keep your head still" or "keep your head down" it is hard to take that new idea to the course. Butch Harmon said one time that Tiger Woods is the best golfer in the world, hits a 1000 balls a day, and it takes him a year to incorporate a few small changes into his swing. But the average golfer takes one or two lessons and thinks they should see the results immediately. I think this advice applies here. The head rotation and taking the eye "off the ball" is not an easy adjustment and it takes hard work over time to have it become a natural part of your swing mechanics. The past couple of weeks I have been getting the core rotation, head position and tempo working together and I have been hitting some of the best shots of my life. Ron always tells me that when the "break through" comes it will not be going from shooting 79 to 75; it will be suddenly shooting a 69 or 70. That thought keeps me going. SubPar

I've always wanted to try Ron's swing, but I've never felt like I've needed it. Now faced with the fact my body isn't coming through the ball, I figured I'll try it. I'll try to get some videos up from the range so (hopefully) Ron and you all can track my progress.
WITB

Driver - Taylormade r7 Quad 10.5˚ Fujijura E360 Stiff
Woods - Sonartec SS 2.5 13˚ HST Penley Tour Stiff
Hybrid - Sonartec HB-001 19˚ HST Penley Tour StiffIrons - Mizuno MP-67 Forged 4-PW, DGS300Wedges - Callaway Forged 50˚ and 54˚, Walter Hagen 60˚Putter - Nike T130 O/S Mallet Ctr Shaft 33"B...

Just took this swing to the range today, I have been struggling being so inconsistant the last few weeks, getting really frustrated.. I striked the ball better than I have since high school (and then took 3 years off till this year).

The worst for me was the driver, after getting his technique down a little bit, I have nailing my driver way longer than before and always w/ about a 5 yard draw and consistant...

I haven't got the turning the head thing yet, I've just been working on other aspects of the swing.. very intresting indeed. Thank for sharing.

What I play

Driver: 907D2
Wood:960 15*

5 Wood: 960 18*

Irons: Titleist 735 Cm 3-PW

Wedges: CG16 60* and 52*

Putter: Nike Method

I went to the range today and tried this: I had the best ball striking day ever. It took about 5 minutes to make sure I got it and getting my head to stay down yet move with the swing and after that the swing became effortless. I was killing the ball and was deadly accurate. I can't wait to play with this swing more!

Ron, if you still come on here, your swing is amazing!
WITB

Hybrid - Sonartec HB-001 19˚ HST Penley Tour StiffIrons - Mizuno MP-67 Forged 4-PW, DGS300Wedges - Callaway Forged 50˚ and 54˚, Walter Hagen 60˚Putter - Nike T130 O/S Mallet Ctr Shaft 33"B...

Interesting. I struggle with my tempo too. Im working more on swinging easy, because when I try to swing hard I end up pushing my shots to the right.
I think what is happening in my case is that when I try to swing hard, I end up striking the ball before my hips rotate back to being square with the ball.
What works for me is when Im doing my backswing, in my head I count, "one-one thousand, two-one thousand" and then I go to hit the ball I count in my head again, "one-one thousand, two-one thousand". Thus far it seems to be working pretty well.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

It was kind of wierd though... I could throttle back my tempo and still hit it near my regular distance...
WITB

1st round after the swing change only 2 range sessions... shoot +1 for 9 a new PB for me... Could have easily been even or 1 under. I'm so stoked I found his method... I know it's working for me.

What I play

Driver: 907D2
Wood:960 15*

5 Wood: 960 18*

Irons: Titleist 735 Cm 3-PW

Wedges: CG16 60* and 52*

Putter: Nike Method

Ron was working with a Swedish pro this weekend using a launch monitor. Magnus was swinging an 8 iron about 88 mph. Ron asked him to slow it down to around 70 mph. He made the swing and looked at the monitor... 95 mph.

The act of relaxing and taking an "easier" cut resulted in more club head speed, rather than less.

True!

SubPar

• 2 weeks later...

I live in the Southern CA area and would love to sit in on the hour clinic that Ron was suggesting.

Is it still possible? I know it was mentioned in Oct 0f 2007 but it looks like it never happened. Let's get one going!

I only came across him and the 'passive golf swing' today so I haven't tried it yet, but plan on hitting the driving range today after work and see how it works. Judging from previous posts I know it's going to take awhile to catch it, but it certainly looks worthy of the attempt.

Anybody have any updates on their attempts? Anybody played a round with it?

Thanks.

I have read, watched, and listened to everything on Ron’s website. My thoughts are these:

That “no look” swing must take a lot of practice every day, even for the gifted players who can do it well. I have always thought that Annika would be better if she did not do that. I have seen her hit some very bad shots a few times.

Any argument that the head staying back stops or restricts the body movements is simply not valid. One example Ron gives is a baseball pitcher, but the golf swing is not a throwing motion, it is a swinging motion. If you were trying to hit a baseball (even in T-Ball), would you be looking at where you want the ball to go after impact.

There are some things I like in Ron’s method. Powering the swing with the big core muscles is good, and timing the swing to work with the centrifugal force is good. However, my key is the left shoulder, not the right. My arms and hands are swung by my left shoulder and the momentum of the clubhead.

The slow, deliberate swing is also good. Both accuracy and distance depend first and foremost on perfect timing and solid contact. I don't like the thought of swinging "through the ball". For me, it's about centrifugal force, momentum, gravity, and the forward kick of the shaft all coming together to create a whip like action through impact.

Ron has some ideas on how to do the clinic thing. We have yet to put it together. He's been really busy lately, but we'll get it going soon.

Send him a private message (user= flogger) SubPar

I'd be interested too.

R7 TP 8.5* Fuji Speeder x-stiff (heavy,low,fade set)
975F 3W 13.5*
FX Tour Grind Nickel 3-PW +1/2", Rifle 6.5
Vokey SW 52*
CG10 LW 60* 3 dot (14* bounce) Tracy putter 35" (hit R but putt L)+ 1 club TBD...Past home courses: Unicorn GC (Stoneham, MA), Forest Creek GC (Round Rock, TX)Ball: Use...

Note: This thread is 4515 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!