IGNORED

Getting on the course as a friendless beginner

LimeTree
Note: This thread is 3221 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've met almost all the guys I regularly play with on a 1st tee somewhere.  Be a good playing partner:    tend the flag, help look for another's ball, compliment good shots, laugh at yourself , keep up with the group (pick up when necessary), don't give advice, buy the first round from the cart girl, suggest post-round cocktail, ask about other's games, clubs, etc.  I took some group lessons and found my current pro in one....also met a couple guys to play with. Everyone is afraid to play with strangers....but once you get better you will still experience this fear when you're teeing off with the first group in a tourney with 20 guys watching!

Damn dude, you're someone I wanna play with, will u marry me?

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I started playing golf, I had been playing semi-pro baseball.  I was a complete hack at golf.  I could hit a 95mph fastball..I could hit a curve ball.  I couldn't hit this thing sitting dead still.  I was uncomfortable playing golf with strangers but I also started playing at the same time with a bunch of guys who had no interest in playing very often.

I practiced and practiced until I got the ball airborne off the ground with every swing.  I figured out how to play well enough that I wasn't going to shoot 140...100 maybe but not a lot worse.

Then I just started going to the golf course and going out with whomever they could pair me up with.  I made a lot of golf friends that way.

I always like playing with better players because I could watch them to see what they were doing.

Even today, after having played golf for over 40 years, I like to go to the course and just try to get paired up with someone different.

So, if you are a beginner...and you count every stroke, work on your game by practicing so that you do not feel uncomfortable just walking up to someone on the tee and saying "Hey, can I join you?"

Don't be shy.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

When I started playing golf, I had been playing semi-pro baseball.  I was a complete hack at golf.  I could hit a 95mph fastball..I could hit a curve ball.  I couldn't hit this thing sitting dead still.  I was uncomfortable playing golf with strangers but I also started playing at the same time with a bunch of guys who had no interest in playing very often.

I practiced and practiced until I got the ball airborne off the ground with every swing.  I figured out how to play well enough that I wasn't going to shoot 140...100 maybe but not a lot worse.

I had to smile when I saw your post. It brought back a number of memories...

I started playing golf when I was about 10 years old. My dad, however, like you played fast pitch softball, and he could hit the ball as far as anyone. In addition, he was a pretty fair pitcher.

When I was 16, my brothers and I took our dad to the local muni for his first attempt at anything beyond par 3 golf. Like you, our dad was clueless at hitting a ball that didn't move. He kept asking, "What is the trick to this game?" After several whiffs and a number of words that I never heard my god-fearing father say, he finally got it going a little, but not enough to play more than once or twice a year.

I'm glad to see that you persevered. :-P

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Good advice so far.  someone mentioned lessons; how about GROUP lessons to be around local folks on a path similar to yours?

Also the advice about playing par-3 courses and 'executive' courses is a good idea.  You'll find a lot of seniors playing with very competent games.  They hit the ball down the middle and have great short games usually.  Good role models for a beginner.

Also, joining a league or your local club probably isn't a great idea for you right now.  Play as much as you can and try to understand things like pace of play, golf course etiquette and the social aspect of the game before getting in over your head by joining a league or your local club.

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Heh, ok, I'm not actually friendless. But I am without local friends who play golf. My few friends who are into golf live in other states, and none of my friends here show any interest. So, until I manage to build up a group of golfing acquaintances, that leaves me to play by myself (or paired with strangers). But as a very early beginner, I don't have a lot of confidence, so playing with people I don't know isn't really exciting. I know I need to get over it, and get out there and play as often as I can, not just when I'm visiting friends out of town. But it's easier said than done. Were any of you in a similar situation when you started? What advice can you give me? Should I try to seek out courses that have more "casual" players? (Not even really sure how to identify those.) Go at times that I know won't be busy? (I don't think that exists around here, and I work so weekdays are out). I'm considering joining my local club, but it's expensive and I'd kind of like to wait until I'm at least slightly better before committing to that.

Check out Meetup.com and see if there are any golf groups in your area. I moved across the country several years ago, and probably met half the people I golf with through Meetup golf events. If there's not a golf group in your area, maybe start one? I imagine there are many other people in a similar scenario as yourself

Note: This thread is 3221 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!