IGNORED

Switching from Woods to Short Irons

Note: This thread is 6033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have trouble swinging a short iron after swinging a wood. For instance, I usually start a range session with a P, 9 or 8. I'll warm up by taking half swings until I can comfortably make full swings. I'll usually jump around within my irons, from there. I hit 5 or 8 balls with each and choose another iron at random. I don't have too much trouble adjusting between my irons. After I've hit a few irons, I'll hit a wood. I don't have much trouble adjusting to that either. The problem comes in when I try to switch back to a short iron, after the wood. I almost always top the ball and it takes me a couple of swings to adjust. This problem usually follows me to the course. Obviously I don't have a couple of tries to get it right, while playing. What is the best solution to this?

Towards the end of my sessions I usually hit balls like I'm playing a hole. I'll think "340 yard par four." I'll take a tee shot and then a short iron. Should more of my range session time be spent like this? Is it even helpful at all?

I think the reason I'm having trouble is that the swing plain is more vertical for short irons. I'm not sure if I'm right about that.

Thanks for the help!

It seems to me like you are researching your misses to the point of backing yourself to miss. I find that positive thought works well for me. On the course, I remember only the good ones.

In the bag:
905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder S
X 15* Fujikura R
X 19* Fujikura S
4-P MP-14 TT DGS300 53* 588 Gunmetal MP series 56-14 TT wedge MP-R 60-09 Rifle SpinnerDFX Two ball Pro V1

If your posture and distance from the ball is correct, the length and lie of the clubs will take care of the change in swing plane. So, unless you manipulate the plane with your swing, you shouldn't have to think about this. If topping is your mistake, focus on hitting down an through the ball. Topping is mostly caused by a reverse weight shift and/or your bottom hand "flipping" or passing underneath your top hand prior to impact.

Joe McNulty

5SK™ Director of Instruction, Cape Cod, MA

Driver - D3 9.5

3-Wood - SQ 15

Hybrid - 17 Adams

4-PW - 714 AP2

50, 56 & 60 - Vokeys

Putter - Scotty

Ball - Pro V1x

Maybe you are (incorrectly) hitting up on your woods, and then try to do the same with the irons?

My practice at the range is very different than yours. I only take the club (or clubs, max 3) that I want to work on, and warm up without a club, doing stretching exercises. You have to remember that when you are on a golf course, adrenelin (sp?) strengthens your muscles because results matter. On the range, nothing matters. The best advice I can give is to study e.g. the Pelz Short Game Bible and polish up your short game using his methods that reduce the effects of adrenelin.

I always leave one ball in the bucket, so I don't end the session on a bad note

Note: This thread is 6033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!