IGNORED

Wedges: Cleveland CG versus Titleist Vokey

Note: This thread is 5773 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 members have voted

1. 1. Cleveland CG or Titleist Vokey

• Cleveland CG
    • Titleist Vokey
    • Other...and indicate which

• Administrator
Buy a Vokey if you need something to match your stylish Scotty Cameron and impress the boys at the Country Club with 20 handicaps. Just another case of the Titleist marketing machine.

C'mon, get real. Pros wouldn't use the wedges if they were just marketing, and Titleist wedges tend to outnumber Cleveland wedges with professionals. And good amateurs.

And both cost about the same.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say Vokeys, rac TPs, and CG's are great wedges. It's a feel question. What feels best for you? The cost is about the same for them within $10-$20.

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

C'mon, get real. Pros wouldn't use the wedges if they were just marketing, and Titleist wedges tend to outnumber Cleveland wedges with professionals. And good amateurs.

They are always equally rated amongst Golf magazines, but I'm sure the Tour players receive incentives to play the Vokeys (which Titleist probably has a bigger bank account to pull from).

Golf Digest rated the CG12's better than the Vokey's this year. The name has a lot to do with why people play Titleist. I admit I used to play nothing but Titleist balls because I was socialized and led to believe that nothing is better than Titleist. It just isn't true. Golfers are supersticious. We don't like to change things. Golfers like to have the "cool" stuff. Why else would anyone play a Scotty Cameron putter? All in all, I will admit that pre-CG12, the Vokeys were a little better, but I think the ZipGroove has become the equalizer or the "one-upper".

---"Be the ball"---

IN THE Hoofer Vantage BAG:
Driver: F-Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV-F
Woods: F-Speed LD 3 & 5, Aldila NV-FIrons: S9 3-PW, NS-Pro 900XH SteelWedges: CG10 52° & Spin Milled 56.10Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: Pro V1x SG4

• Administrator
All in all, I will admit that pre-CG12, the Vokeys were a little better, but I think the ZipGroove has become the equalizer or the "one-upper".

And I disagree, and wrote about 1700 words on it, too.

Still, the tone of your post above is quite a bit different from the one I responded to earlier. I disagree with you that the CG-12 is better, the Vokey is good "only" for "impressing" people, that it's purely the "marketing machine," etc. Have an opinion and all, but don't be dumb about it and attribute a club as successful as the Vokey line to "marketing machine" hype. That's just silly.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Golfers are supersticious. We don't like to change things.

Maybe because I like them better than any other one I tried? If a cheaper putter suits you just fine than whats it to you to worry about why others choose something else

i have tried vokeys in the past and i dont think they are anything that special because i like a solid feeling wedge rather thatn a soft feeling one. a wedge that i really like is the tm tp wedges they are really great but if you like a soft feel i would stick with the cleveland or the voke. just my .02$

Burner 10.5* driver
Burner 3 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Burner 5 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Tour Burner irons
Rac black 52* Rac satin 60* Red x 3 pro v1

I have always played the callaway X series wedges 56 & 60 but this year I am going to try the Cleveland CG-12s

Taylormade Superquad 9.5
Taylormade hybrid 3, 4,5
MP-57 5-P
Cleveland 56 & 60
Scotty Cameron PutterPro V-1

I traded in my CG10s for a couple Vokeys. I loved the CG10s around the green, but I had a difficult time with my distance control on full shots. I love the Vokeys.
In my bag
Driver: Burner 460 9.5°
Fairway: V-Steel 15°
Utility: Rescue Dual 16°, 22°
Irons: 755 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey 50°, SM 56°, SM 64°Putter: Newport 2 Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1

I use a new Cleveland 56 degree with zip grooves. I just changed out a Cleveland that was getting a little old. I really like it because it's very flexible in sand, turf, and for a cool little dead-hand shot around greens that need a lot of spin.

I am considering getting some Cleveland cg14s and I was wondering significant loss of feel due to the elastomer piece. I have heard conflicting stories.
In the blue and tan grom Bag:

Driver r7 460 10.5*
Fairway Woods '07 Burner 15* and 18*
Irons 4-PW r7 XDWedges 47*, 52*, 58* CG14,Putter TiffanyBall One Tour D

I am considering getting some Cleveland cg14s and I was wondering significant loss of feel due to the elastomer piece. I have heard conflicting stories.

not at all they feel like a normal wege just a tad softer

Burner 10.5* driver
Burner 3 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Burner 5 wood GD Pershing Shaft
Tour Burner irons
Rac black 52* Rac satin 60* Red x 3 pro v1

I personally play the cg12 but i've tried the cg14's. They feel great actually. For me the Chrome cg12's have a slightly firm feel.

All in all they are easier to hit, make hard cover balls feel not so bad, have a nice large hitting area for flops and i understand come pro's are using it now....

Driver SS 93-95mph
6 iron SS 77-80mph

Driver: Burner 9.5 S
3 Wood: G10 SIrons 3-pw: MP-57 Dynalite Gold SL S300Wedges: 52 and 56 CG12 60 X- Forged CG/MDPutter: TiffanyBall: NXT TourI have no brand loyalty

• 1 month later...
Isnt this the 3rd or 4th Cg12 vs. Spin Milled thread? We have search button for a reason.

Whats in my Warbird Hot Bad:

Driver: 907D1 9.5 - 65-S Aldila VS Proto --- FT-IQ coming soon?
2 Hybrid: Rescue mid-TP 16 deg
3 Hybrid: Rescue TP - HC Tour Only Model 19 deg - DG X-1004-PW: 695CB Irons - Project X 6.0Wedges Vokey SM58, Vokey SM54, Vokey 250Putter Futura PhantomWhere I WorkMy...

I can't say much for the vokey's, but I have a 54* and 60* set of CG12. They are great from the sand, but for the price you pay I would expect them to spin the ball more. One piece of advice if you go with cleveland is not to get the chromo finish unless you want to see spots all day when it is sunny. The reflect the sun right into you eyes.

In My Bag:
Driver: 907D2 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 13*
5 Wood: 906F2 18*
Irons: : MP-32: 3-PWWedges: : Vokey 54.10 and 60.4Putter: Circa 62 Charcoal Mist Model #6

I use Cleveland CGs (11 & 12 series). I honestly think it is a matter of personal preference. I also recently used some Nickent wedges and was impressed. The CGs do seem to wear fairly quickly compared to others, but I like the feel and results.

You can't go wrong either way.
Whats in my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 460
Fairway/Hybrid: 15 & 19 degree Nickent 3dx Utility
Irons: MacGregor M565
Wedges: Cleveland 900 RTG 54 & 58 degreePutter: Odyssey DFX 2 ball

Im a fan of my CG14s. The insert is actualy really nice, eliminates a lot of the vibration without sacrificing feel. Plus I liked the top side visual profile of the CG14s more than the Vokey, its a little bigger with that spoonish shape.

In the Sasquatch Tour Stand Bag

L4V 9* Fujikura Rombax Z 6Z08
S9-1 Pro 15* Matrix OZIK X-Con
Baffler Pro 21* Golfsmith P2 irons - 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold X100 CG14 Chrome Wedges Dynamic Gold X100 52* 56* 60* Rossa Monza SpiderBall - TP Red

Note: This thread is 5773 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!