IGNORED

Putter Shaft Help

Note: This thread is 2805 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Clubfitters and putter experts please help!

A putter I recently got my hands on that I'm very excited about (can post more, and some pictures later!) has a particular shaft that is, apparently, somewhat uncommon.

I know nothing at all about putter shafts, but could someone tell me anything about this at all? -- Supposedly, the shaft in this putter is a "True Temper fluted and stepped stainless steel under black PVD finish" and I pride myself on knowing my golf lingo especially when it comes to the technical stuff that I like, but I am at a total loss here. 

What on earth is a fluted shaft? How does this apply to a putter? Supposedly True Temper no longer makes them, but that may be false. 

Did some digging online about this and that turned up nothing, so maybe I'm just not searching for the right thing. Anyway...

Any help very much appreciated. :-)

Edited by amoline

Andrew M.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

A fluted shaft is one with "flutes" in it, like this:

utf-8BSU1BRzAzMDMuanBn.jpg

That's all.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

55 minutes ago, iacas said:

A fluted shaft is one with "flutes" in it, like this:

utf-8BSU1BRzAzMDMuanBn.jpg

That's all.

if it were not on a putter(not sure they make fluted iron shafts) does it do anything special to the shaft? different weight, flex point?

Yeah, that would be interesting to know. When I get the putter in hand with it and try it out I can report back. Seems to be a feel-related thing, but they seem interesting. 

Andrew M.

• Administrator

Pretty sure it's just for feel. Steps change the way feel works, too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2805 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!