IGNORED

Rust covered wedges

Note: This thread is 6857 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm in the market for two new wedges and had my eye on the RAC wedges but since I'm a Callaway fan I decided to take a look at their products. I'm looking at the Forged PW and SW to replace my x-12 PW. I currently do not have a sandwedge. How should I determine how much bounce in the SW. I'm also going for the steel finish which they say will rust over time and create more spin. Has anyone ever used a wedge that rusted over time and do they in fact create more spin? I have seen some pics through google image search and I'm really a fan of the rust look. I thought at first that chrome would be my choice but have decided against that.

Driver: X460 10°
Hybrid: Heavenwood 2H
Irons: X-12 3-PW
Wedges: Vintage Forged 48° & 56°
Putter: DF 990Ball: HX Hot

High bounce (above 16°) is for soft turf conditions. Standard bounce (12°-16°) is for normal to soft conditions or those who leave shallow divots. Low bounce (0-16°) is for firm turf or sand conditions.

Personally, like the Mizuno MP T Series Raw Haze or the Titleist Vokey Oil Can. Alot of people swear by Cleveland wedges. Since you are a Callaway guy, the Callaway Forged + wedge in the Vintage finish is worth looking at. It's designed by Cleveland and forged by Callaway or something like that.

The Callaway Forged Wedges are a good option. As you can see, I have one in my bag (and two other lofts that have been used with various iron sets over the past couple years). They were designed by Roger Cleveland, who started Cleveland Golf and designed their products (like the still-popular 588 wedges) until he left the company in the mid-1990s. He's been with Callaway as lead club designer since 1997, I believe, and has a big hand in their irons (starting with your X-12 irons) and wedges.

As for bounce, only the newer Forged Plus wedges have bounce options. I think the 56, 58 and 60 wedges are available in a higher or lower bounce version. Choose the lower bounce if you tend to pick the ball clean or play courses with bunkers that have firm/wet sand. Choose the higher bounce if you take a large divot from the fairway or play courses with fluffy sand.

As for the rusting, I personally think it is a aesthetic issue. In theory, the rust should make the face a little rougher and create more friction. But if you're hitting these clubs out of the sand, you'll wear away the rust on the sole and the hitting area (the sand will scrub it off at impact). But the "raw" unchromed wedges that rust are nice because they won't inadvertently blind you with glare on a sunny day. And I think the rusty heads look cool. Some PGA Tour players have their iron sets unchromed so they can rust out.

My Callaway Forged Wedges rusted pretty quickly. The "vintage" finish comes off after a round or two, or after a good practice session in the sand. It will rust quickly after that. Or you can wrap the clubhead in a towel soaked in saltwater and leave it overnight. As Neil Young sang, rust never sleeps.

Good luck deciding on a new wedge, and let us know what you choose (or if you need any more advice).

in the bag today:
Driver: TaylorMade R9 10.5° (Fujikura Motore 65 stiff)
3-wood: Tour Edge Exotics XCG (Aldila DVS Fairway 75 stiff)
hybrid: Sonartec Md 21° (UST Proforce V2 Hybrid 85 stiff)
4-PW: Titleist 755 (Titleist TriSpec Regular)Wedges: Titleist Vokey Design 252.08 bent to 50.5° (Oil...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good luck deciding on a new wedge, and let us know what you choose (or if you need any more advice).

Thanks for the replies.

The courses I play are pretty firm so I have decided to go with the forged vintage PW 48° 8 bounce and for the SW 56° 12 bounce. Can't wait till payday so I can pull the trigger on these.

Driver: X460 10°
Hybrid: Heavenwood 2H
Irons: X-12 3-PW
Wedges: Vintage Forged 48° & 56°
Putter: DF 990Ball: HX Hot

Note: This thread is 6857 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!