IGNORED

Whippy/Momentus/Medicus

Carland
Note: This thread is 5970 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That has been my experience as well.

I stopped trying to create "muscle memory" a long long time ago with my students. I teach distinctions now. What is this, what is that, and what do they do. If you know the two extremes it's a lot easier to know where the middle is. Not only that but it makes them much more aware of what they're doing becuase now they're being able to apply some focus to that trouble area. Just trying to get someone to follow a path 100 times doesn't really make it stick.

Equipment, Setup, Finish, Balance, and Relax. All equal in importance and all dependent on each other. They are the cornerstones of a good golf swing.

wolverine318:

Knowing the improvement you experienced with the Momentus power hitter, do you think it's worth getting? As for the Whippy, I am going to Florida over the holidays and will get some sense whether it helps me although there probably won't be enough golf to give it a fair measure.

tm22721:

To hit a ball solidly with the Whippy, I definitely have to feel the clubhead or try not to make the shaft bend. It basically ends up being the same feel throughout the swing. It doesn't necessarily slow down your swing so much as make you more aware of the club as it's moving. So I am not thinking of swing positions. Is that consistent with your idea of not teaching muscle memory?

Poor man's Momentus Power Hitter: Duck tape a few golf balls to the back of an old driver.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

• 2 weeks later...
I played or practiced 5 days and used the Whippy. The results were mixed but I still like it.

The bad: If you focus only on feeling the weight of the clubhead - especially at the transition, you hit shots that feel solid but don't go very far. On the course playing regular clubs, my drives went shorter and sometimes if I lost the "feel" I was very crooked. Shot 84, 79 and then 89 using this feel thought.

The good: As I got used to the Whippy, I could hit it well by using my normal swing without focusing on the clubhead. For me that means getting to a full finish position as quickly as possible while staying in balance. When I went back to those thoughts I hit the Whippy and my regular clubs better. Shot 81 and 85 but hit the ball more solidly. I am going to keep working on trying to swing the Whippy aggressively while still trying to hit the ball squarely. Here's what the web site says about that: http://www.tempomaster.com/ .

The good (II): The Whippy pitching wedge forces you to stay in rhythm. I hit some good pitch shots on the course after working with the Whippy. When I practiced, I hit better pitches with the Whippy than my 58 degree wedge.

Note: This thread is 5970 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!