IGNORED

Wedge shaft types?

Note: This thread is 2675 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi ,

With wedges do you need a certain shaft type or are they all the same ?

Example im looking to move from a 58 degree wedge to a 60 and was fitted for my 58 along with the rest of my clubs last year. But On my shafts the true temper label just says 'wedge'. Now if I buy an off the shelf 60 with 'wedge' on it are they the same?

In my Irons I have KBS stiffs so I just want to make sure im not buying the wrong shaft type and then need to reshaft later.

Hope this makes sense :)

Many thanks

It all depends on what works, and what feels good enough to give you confidence.

At the 2016 PGA show, I got to interview Vokey marketing director Jeremy Stone. He recommended going through fittings to see what works best. Also, he said that Bob Vokey suggests going with the shafts you have in your irons, and softstepping the shafts in your SW and LW (the wedges you're less likely to hit full shots with).

What you get with Wedge flex varies from OEM to OEM. For most, this means a Dynamic Gold S200 or S300 shaft. Several editions of Nike wedges had the S400 as stock "Wedge flex."

Cleveland developed the TRAction (Tour Reflex Action) Wedge flex shaft for its CG series. The shaft had a flexible tip for more spin on partial shots, but a stiffer butt to keep the ball lower. The later emerging Spinner Flex - with flex point at midshaft - produced similar dynamics.

With your excellent HDCP, you probably want to go with a shaft that brings the ball in a bit lower so it doesn't balloon on you - especially with a 60* LW. Being you already like KBS, I would suggest you consider their five wedge-specific shafts.

Let us know what happens.

• Upvote 3

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 12/23/2016 at 1:27 PM, jamesdav12 said:

I just use the standard shafts and I hit them pretty well.

Quite a few people do this, especially if their wedges are a model match to their irons.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2675 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!