IGNORED

My Swing (geezer)

geezer
Note: This thread is 5932 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well, now I've had a few lessons (literally a few ...2 ) and taken some time to groove my swing a little. Here is the current work in progress.

Its a 6 iron at the local range and if you're wondering why I'm wearing a hat and a couple of layers, its because it's quite cold here and today was miserable!

DTL and Face on
Whaddya think? Good? bad? ugly? All criticisms welcome.

Sorry this video is low quality (I don't have a video recorder) and I know that photobucket/youtube videos arent worth a fiddlers, but swing academy says these arent the right format foir their site or something ( I can't hardly work a computer anyway ) and if I try to add them as attatchments on the sand trap, its not the right format either!!

Can anyone help with this, as a side thread??

Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

You may be standing a little too upright. Trying bending your knees a little more and maintaining your spine angle through the entire swing.

Vancouver, BC CANADA

Driver: 905T 9.5 deg
Fairway Woods: 904F 15 & 19 deg.
Hybrid: FLI-HI CLK 21 deg.Irons: MP-60Wedges: Vokey 52/8, SM 56/14 & SM 60/4Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Bag: S64 StaffBall: NXT Tour

Thanks for the pointers.

Question. If I bend my knees a little more does the ammount of bend from the hips need to decrease also? Or does it stay the same?
Whats in the bag:

Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

Not bad but you're going to be fighting that cut of yours for a long time if you dont fix your hip action and learn to release properly.

Equipment, Setup, Finish, Balance, and Relax. All equal in importance and all dependent on each other. They are the cornerstones of a good golf swing.

Not bad but you're going to be fighting that cut of yours for a long time if you dont fix your hip action and learn to release properly.

How did you know I cut!!

What are the clues? Any tips? I've heard about proper clubhead release before, but I've never heard of what the proper release actually is . BTW: HAPPY NEW YEAR , well here at least!
Whats in the bag:

I knew because your left hip jets away from the ball on your forward swing which pulls your left shoulder, which pulls your left arm, which pulls the club... So over time I would imagine you've probably strengthened your grip a little over time cause you got tired of the big slices to the right. Although the grip has helped to reduce the slice to a cut you can't make it any stronger without pulling or even pull hooking the bejeezus out of it. As a result of that stronger grip you've learned to pull a bit harder with the left side through impact and slightly hold off your arms from rotating. If you were to let it really go and stay relaxed through impact your grip would cause the pulls to come back.

You make adjustments because you're smart. You've managed to make the right adjustments to get your slice under control. Unfortunately you wandered down the path that nearly everyone with a slice wanders down. And you travel down this path because that's how everyone else tells you they did it.

Equipment, Setup, Finish, Balance, and Relax. All equal in importance and all dependent on each other. They are the cornerstones of a good golf swing.

You're good... thats pretty much spot on.

I'm going to have to ask my pro about proper release and get it sorted. I've voucher for another two lessons and I might be calling them in pretty soon.

Just out of interest, how do you start the downswing, if not with a pull from the left hip?
Whats in the bag:

Ringer's good because he's an instructor. Check out his swing tips on youtube.

BTW, in the face on swing, I can see your right leg straightening on the back swing and your left heel coming up. Both of those are clues to a cut or a push depending on where your hips are in relation to your hands.

I knew because your left hip jets away from the ball on your forward swing which pulls your left shoulder, which pulls your left arm, which pulls the club... So over time I would imagine you've probably strengthened your grip a little over time cause you got tired of the big slices to the right. Although the grip has helped to reduce the slice to a cut you can't make it any stronger without pulling or even pull hooking the bejeezus out of it. As a result of that stronger grip you've learned to pull a bit harder with the left side through impact and slightly hold off your arms from rotating. If you were to let it really go and stay relaxed through impact your grip would cause the pulls to come back.

damn i was going to say that! yeah ringer knows his shit! -matt

Driver: 09 Burner 10.5 Aldila NV 65 X Stiff
3wd: G10 14* Aldila NV 85 X Stiff
Hybrid: G10 18* Aldila NV 105 X Stiff
3-PW: I10 X100
Wedge: Tour 52* & 58* S400Putter: Circa 62 No.2 35" Ball: Tour IXLowest 9 (-E) 36Lowest 18 (+2) 73

First off, thank you. It's experience and observation talking. Like I said, it's the same trap I see nearly every slicer fall into and it's the advice so many people dish out. I can't tell you how many people I've seen get told to strengthen their grip to get rid of a slice and try to "drop it in the slot". Sure it gets rid of the wicked slice but even a bandaid will stop SOME blood from an open chest wound. Doesn't mean your fixed.

BTW, if he's the same guy that you've been working with I'm not sure he's going to stay on the ball with you. He'll probably mandate the strong grip stays and try to teach you about hip turn and "drop into the slot" like everyone else. As for what starts the downswing, it's a push off of the right leg onto the left leg. When you can do this drill smooth as a cuccumber then you won't need that guy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnQ6RHepJgk

Ringer's good because he's an instructor. Check out his swing tips on youtube.

Spot on Jonny. Good observation. I tend to watch the left hip placement on the finish to tell me, but he's got a classic slicers twist rather than a professional turn. What's amazing to me is how some instructors actually teach it that way.

The right leg thing is actually a fairly recent development and I tried to correct it myself. But every time I try to focus on keeping my right leg flexed, it just feels like I'm shifting too far away from the ball, but in an attempt to 'stay over the ball' my right leg just straightens. I don't mind shifting my head to behind the ball with a driver, but I thought that the head had to stay centered on iron shots. Is this wrong??

That walkthrough drill looks good. I'm gonna get a club and try it out!
Whats in the bag:

I had the exact same problem. I even hurt my left chest muscle cuz i pulled so hard to keep the ball straight. Once I slowed down my hip movement, I no long need to pull so hard.

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

Note: This thread is 5932 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!