IGNORED

Newbie question about the backswing

Note: This thread is 5966 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi,

Does your right leg have to be stretched at the end of your backswing?
I noticed mine is, but I'm not sure if I am doing it right.
I'm going to take some lessons next week, but I would also like to hear your opinion on this.

Thanks,

KN
Gear
Driver: G10 10,5° - regular flex
3-Wood: Burner Steel 15°
Hybrids: Benross V5 Escape 20°/3, 23°/4
Irons: Benross VX Combo OS 5i-SWGap Wedge: CG12 52° chrome finishLob Wedge: SM60.08 oil can finishPutter: White Hot XG #5AccessoriesStand Bag: GROMCart Bag: RC08-1Trolley: Big...

no your right knee should maintain bent
almost the same angle before you start your backswing

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

OK. Thanks. I'm going to the driving range today and try it. When I turn my hips it seems my right leg is stretching automatically as a result. Maybe I'm turning my hips too much?
Gear
Irons: Benross VX Combo OS 5i-SWGap Wedge: CG12 52° chrome finishLob Wedge: SM60.08 oil can finishPutter: White Hot XG #5AccessoriesStand Bag: GROMCart Bag: RC08-1Trolley: Big...

yeah... turn as much as you can while maintaining that leg flex.
the inside of your right feel should feel pressure, and right knee should feel some resistance
this will also give you more torque = more power

what you were doing might cause a reverse pivot (reverse weight shift) which wouldl make you hit the ground behind the ball before you hit the ball

MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>

no your right knee should maintain bent

Define "stretch".

Where is it stretching? You should be turning into your right hip (for a right-hander), and you want to torque into your right hip.. if that makes sense. I can never describe to someone how to perform that maneuver.

Driver: SUMO 5000 8.5* w/ Aldila Proto-65 X 45.5"
3-wood: SQ w/ Diamana 83 X +1"
Hybrid: SuMo 2h w/ Project X +1"
Irons: MP-33 1-PW w/ TT X100 Sensicore +1"
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 54 + 60 +1"Putter: Red X 34"Me: 6'3" 220lbs. - 0-4 Handicap, depending on how much I work ;); NJCAA All-American,...

You shouldn't actively turn your hips at all. Instead (for a right handed golfer,) perform the following:

Hips.
Slide your left shoulder back and let it pull your hips around to 45° or less. Imagine a vertical wall that is perpendicular to the target line and up against the outside of your right hip from address. As your right hip is pulled around by your shoulders, it should maintain contact with that imaginary wall.

Shoulder.
Your sliding left shoulder (doing all of the work) should end up over the instep of your right foot, but not beyond. Your right shoulder should rotate upwards and end up at the same lateral position as your left shoulder to an angle of 90° from address. Don't rotate your shoulders beyond 90°.

Feeling at the top.
You should feel tightness on your bodies left side from your left hip up through your left shoulder and straight left arm.

Your right knee and thigh should feel torqued.

Much of your bodies weight (70%) should feel like it is over the inside of your right leg.

You should feel coiled and un comfortable.

Thanks for the advice guys. I went to the driving range today in tried the things you said. It was really an improvement! The contact with the ball was much better (I could hear that specific sound that you hear when you launch a ball right ... you all know what I'm talking about ) and a lot of them went straight. I regained my faith that someday I'll develop some sense of consistency
Thanks!

PS: EatMyBologna - I only read your post now so I didn't have the opportunity to try the things you said. I'm going back this weekend to try it out.

Gear

glad we could help... :)

MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>

Here's a good idea that wasn't mentioned...go onto www.Youtube.com and put in Tiger Woods, Ernie Els, Phil Mickelson and search for thier swing. CBS has something called SwingVision that captures thier swings from tournaments, so if you wanna see proper technique from the pros, its a good start to how your legs , arms, and back should be. That's how i study swings and try to incorporate stuff into my swing...

Nike VR S Covert Tour Driver 2.0, 8.5* S
Nike VR S Covert Tour 3-Wood (15*) S
Nike VR Forged Split Cavity (2-5)

Nike VR Forged TW Blades (6-PW)

Titleist Vokey SM4 54* Wedge

Nike VR X3X Wedge 58*

Nike Method Core 1 Putter

Titleist ProV1

"Hakuna Matata - It means no worries..."

Note: This thread is 5966 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!