IGNORED

Wood or hybrid

Note: This thread is 5717 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all this is my 1st post so sorry if it bores you.

My question is do any of you use a 16 deg hybrid? and if so do you find it easier or harder to use than a 3 or 5 wood? and also how does it compare in height and distance to your fairways. At the moment I'm only using my 5 then a 22deg hybrid and I thought if distances were simular or better with a 16deg hybrid compared to my 5 wood then the shorter shaft should be more acurate and I would swap. But a few people have said that low loft hybrids are hard to use.

I am also if the hybrids dont work concidering a 4 wood then my 22 hybrid [I'm not much good off the deck with my 3 wood so don't carry it]

So I'm open to any suggestions that you guys have.

Thanks
Mark

hybrids are only hard to hit if you approach them as a woods instead of irons-go with the hybrid if you can't hit a 3 off the deck-the ball will go about the same distance, but higher-just think its an iron!!!

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

i carry both 17* hybrid and 13.5* 3W and find the hybrid much easier to play largely due to the shorter shaft. It plays like a long iron, but provides the forgiveness from the longer grass than any iron.

witb:
Ft-5 Tour 9.5 E-360 (s)
3W - 906F4 ZCom 95 (s)
585H NV85
i10 3-GW 2*up, AWT (s) SM Vokey 56.14 2 Ball XG B330-S or B330-RXSlow players should have their balls fed to them

I carry an 18 hybrid to replace old 5-wood... hit each about 215-220, but much more accurate and controlled with 2H (18*). It is also my go to club for a tight fairway.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

With windy conditions, I stick with a 5 wood for the lower trajectory. With everday conditions, I stick with the hybrid.

Driver: Sumo2 5900 10.5*
3+ Utility: 3DX Utility 13.5*
Hybrids: 4DX 18.5*
Irons: MP-30 3-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM54.10 & SM60.04Putter: T.P. Mills StudioBall: GamerBag: Warbird Stand

Hi all this is my 1st post so sorry if it bores you.

For years, I carried a 3 wood and, I usually hit it well. In late 2006, I started having problems hitting it. In early 2007, I replaced it with a 16 degree Cobra DWS hybrid. I had used Cobra hybrids for several years and enjoyed them very much. I found the 16 degree much easier to hit than the 3 wood. While I did lose a little distance because of the shorter shaft, I was happy with the hybrid because I was so much more consistent with it. However, I remained a bit greedy for distance and when Titleist released the 906F4 fairway woods, I tried the 15.5 degree 3 wood.

With the 906F4, I regained the distance but I have some days when i just don't swing the club well. I like the 3 wood and, for the moment, it remains in the bag. But, I would easily recommend trying a 16 degree hybrid as a 3 wood replacement, especially the new Cobra with the Aldila Proto shaft for only $149 US. The hybrids are just so easy to hit consistently. As you can see, I use several hybrids. Demo some hybrids if you can. Good luck.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

I have a titleist 904f 19* 5 wood that I used for about a year. However, I recently got a 585h 17* utility. I prefer it much better because I hit it lower than the 5 wood, which always ballooned on me into the wind. I would go with the hybrid, but make sure you hit it like an iron and not like a wood.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

Thanks for all the replies fella's, as a result of your comments I have just ordered my self a 16 & 22 deg hi bore's. Why hi bore's you may say well my Dad has a 22 deg halo [also cleveland] and I have borrowed it a few times and liked it, and due to the fact that demoing clubs here in the UK [other than in a net] is almost impossible I thought go with something you know.

Now the problem is going to be we have some bad weather coming in over the next few days [not sure how long for] so they will be out side in my garage collecting dust, I supose I could kick the wife into the garage and the clubs could sleep with me, would that be wrong?

Anyway Ill let you know how I get on with them when I eventually get out there.

Thanks
Mark

for those of you who use a 1 hybrid instead of a 3 wood, how much distance did you lose?

Driver: r7 460 10.5*
3 Wood: Launcher Steel 15*
Hybrid: HALO 3i 22*
Irons: X-20 Tour 3-PW
Wedge: RAC Chrome 56*/12*Putter: White Steel 2-Ball Blade

for those of you who use a 1 hybrid instead of a 3 wood, how much distance did you lose?

You may not lose any appreciable distance, eventhough the hybrid shaft may be shorter and the hybrid loft a tad higher, because you may hit the hybrid better more consistantly than you do your 3 wood.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

• 9 months later...
I have been experimenting with a 16* hybrid (ping g5). I hit it as far as a 15* g5 3 wood. I sold the 3 wood. Today I compared it to a 13* taylormade spoon. It went as far or a few yards short. I do not see any reason to carry a fairway wood and the extra club allows me another wedge. The shorter shaft is kind of weird but a 16* hybrid hits a big shot with much more control.

Driver: G2 Aldila 65s
3-wood: G5 fujikura vista pro 70 s
16* G5 hybrid TFC 100 shaft s
irons: 3-SW Ping G2 CS Lite s LW: ping eye 2Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5

While there is alot of hybrid praise going on around here, i feel i should throw in a few thoughts.

as i got better as a player, my 3 wood has become my most used clubs. When you figure out how to hit the driver a long way, a nice heavy sahfted 3 wood come in very handy on not only tight holes, but holes where you dont need to hit it 300 plus, or where that puts you in trouble, going for par 5's, anything.

a nice 16 degree 4 wood is a great addition, for me personally, i mis hit hybrids alot more than my woods, so a kinda hihger lofted three wood may work realy well, kinda shorter shaft than a 3 wood, a little more loft, so your mis hits may be better.

|Callaway FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 Diamana BlueBoard| TaylorMade TourLaunch 14.5 Matrix Ozik F7M2 X| Adams Idea Pro 20 Matrix Ozik Altus X| Mizuno MP-32 4-PW TTDG S300|Titleist Vokey 50| Tour Issue Titleist Black Ni Vokey SM 54|Callaway X Forged 62 || Kirk Currie Brazos| Callaway Tour IX/...

Note: This thread is 5717 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!