IGNORED

Wedges: Groove Wear & Spin Performance

Note: This thread is 2590 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When I bought my new 56 Vokey I noticed an immediate difference the first few pitches I hit with premium balls.

I can't say I noticed anything on a fuller shot but I never hit wedges full (or very very rarely).  Very rare for me to hit my 56 more than 70 yards or so in a real round.

The effect around the greens was very noticeable though.  When I practiced short game a lot and played premium balls a few years back I was always trying to hit the low skip stop shot.  I played that throw it at the hole type mentality when I had a clean lie.

Anymore without playing premium balls I just hit a higher softer shot without trying to use the spin.  I play for a baby roll out.

So in closing groove sharpness matters little to me anymore.

Also I cut my options down significantly by not playing premium balls anymore.  I just can't hit the same shots I used to from say 120 in.  Anymore with my relative lack of practice I stick to one basic shot I don't try to mess with trajectory and shape in close.

Theres only one course I play where I will use a premium ball and the greens are tiny and firm.

Edited by Jack Watson

Note: This thread is 2590 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!