IGNORED

Switching golf coaches?

Note: This thread is 5965 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I made the switch today and I like what he told me. My question is this is it sometimes good to make a switch. Has anyone made a switch what happened?

Listed below is what my instructors taught and I wanted to run this by the forum for review.

Teacher 1

1 Make a strong grip left hand turned over in other words.
2. Wanted to me to bow my wrist at the top of the swing closing the club face.
3. Wanted me to pull through with my left side arm and left. I would hit with a closed club face but my woods I had to readjust.

Teacher 2

1. Wanted me to have a weaker grip cupped at the bottom.
2. Wanted me to shorten my swing explained im a bigger guy and wanted me to focus on consistency and said I didnt need the big swing im a bigger guy. 5 ft 10 235 large chest. Benched a lot and did weights in college for 5 years. Anyway he wanted me to keep cupped and the top of the swing also.
3. On my move down he wanted my to use my right side to uncoil through impact. He said the timing would come with the rolling my wrist or release after I practice this. He noticed my left should raised sometimes and said it was from being told to pull with my left said and stated thats why I dont like that.

Anyway I hit balls next to a guy who played for a college in the Big 10 and I was talking to him who uses the same instructor (2). He watched me swing and mentioned a few things and said atleast you are hitting all your balls in the air and they are traveling in a good trajectory.

Anyway I feel like I made the right choice just wanted to bounce this off you all. I am almost pissed because I feel I paid thousands of dollars to instructor 1 and never learned the right way.

If you had no confidence in teacher #1, then the switch was good regardless because you'd be doubting what he told you. I switched back in November to a new assistant pro at my course and it has been good; used to travel to a different golf academy for lessons, and I found them to have a great facility, but too much of a cookie-cutter approach. I'd hear my instructor giving the same lesson over and over, not looking much at fundamentals etc... Change can be good! But, once you change, try not to bounce from teacher to teacher. Find one you like and stick with them (Bob Rotella's advice from his book "The Golf of Your Dreams")

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

If you had no confidence in teacher #1, then the switch was good regardless because you'd be doubting what he told you. I switched back in November to a new assistant pro at my course and it has been good; used to travel to a different golf academy for lessons, and I found them to have a great facility, but too much of a cookie-cutter approach. I'd hear my instructor giving the same lesson over and over, not looking much at fundamentals etc... Change can be good! But, once you change, try not to bounce from teacher to teacher. Find one you like and stick with them (Bob Rotella's advice from his book "The Golf of Your Dreams")

O no I'm not going back. I'm sticking with this guy he is tremendous atleast it seems that way. I am very excited to have a renewed look on things.

switching coaches sounds like trouble.
i can't imagine doing that myself.
every pro has their own way of teaching.
if someone doesn't work for you, find someone that does.
not everything one pro teaches will 100% work for you.
i think i'm more like finding my way of setup, ball position, and swing undering the guidance of my pro.
i certainly don't enjoy an overhaul if someone is trying to do that.

anyways, if you think pro #2 is great then have no doubt of your choice and let him do his job.

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

Sounds like both teach THEIR way. Both ways work to hit the ball but make sure you don't hold onto any of the advice from the first teacher. The two styles are completely different and you don't need the confusion.

This is pretty typical for most instruction. It's pretty much how THEY hit the ball so it's how they teach you to hit it.

Equipment, Setup, Finish, Balance, and Relax. All equal in importance and all dependent on each other. They are the cornerstones of a good golf swing.

Which one do you recommend. You always bring good information to the table. Do you side with either one of those? I am right arm dominant and a right handed golfer. It took me 1 year to get the left side thing do and I had to close my club head semi shut to really get a good strike.

Number 2 has tought big 10 and pac 10 golfers. His resume is a little more elaborate. I do notice in the magazines I see a lot of the pros with neutral and cupped wrist. The teacher insist I need to keep that club head squared at the top while instructor one never worried about it.

Like I said, they both work for them. You just have to try it and see what works best for you. Experiment. I have my own way that does neither of these two. All I try to do is get students to pay attention. I am not the one swinging the club so what I say or do doesn't really matter. If I can get a student to simply pay a bit more attention to their "problem" areas then I've done my job. That may not sound like much but trust me, figuring out where the real blind spots are and showing my students how to experiment with them is the path to real success.

Equipment, Setup, Finish, Balance, and Relax. All equal in importance and all dependent on each other. They are the cornerstones of a good golf swing.

Note: This thread is 5965 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!