IGNORED

Taking a break from golf for a while…

Ladysmanfelpz
Note: This thread is 2484 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey all.  Fairly new to this forum and to consistently playing the game in general.  I've played since high school occasionally with friends, but have dedicated time to improvement over the past 3 years.  I've enjoyed this time playing a game we all love, but luckily I just received a call for medical school acceptance starting this fall and will have much less time for golf.  

I knew this time was coming as a pre-med kid and that's why I wanted to make the most of my of my time before starting.  Well now its here and the real work begins.  I'm actually kind of glad I'll have less time with this game.  As a former disc golfer I was able to get to scratch within what I would say about 3 dedicated season of play.  Well that's about what I spent with this game, although maybe less frequent play due to the time and cost required of golf.   I was hoping to decrease my handicap by a large margin with background in athletics and some dedicated practice, but not so.  It would be a great skill to have for the rest of your life to play this game at a high level (I've played with some scratch players, and to say the least it is impressive what they can do with a ball).  Well couldn't tell you if it's due to my ability, or just not enough time/instruction, but it is a tough game and scratch is definitely faaaar off, and a single digit handicap I strived for may not come until later in life.

I started out as a mid 90's player and would say I decreased to high 80's.  Never truly figured out my handicap though.  My current low scores consist of a 84 on par 70 course and 85 on my par 72.  Could continue that from whites, but most times on the blues I would be low 90's.  Had a few rounds over 100.  It was fun to try and improve, but the last video of my swing I thought to myself, "yikes!"  I'll have to finish Tathata and take some lessons next go around when I get more time to play.

Although I'll be busy, its not impossible to golf through school.  I'll most likely play a weekend here or there and definitely on breaks.  And even tho, I didn't reach the skill I thought I'd be at with the time put in, I still love the game as much as ever.  Sometimes golf is like sex.  Your best doesn't come til later in life ;-)  And at my level it shouldn't be too hard to get better.  Now just waiting until that opportunity returns!  

• iacas changed the title to Taking a break from golf for a while…
Note: This thread is 2484 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!