IGNORED

Black Mountain Golf

Note: This thread is 2482 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was doing some research on possible locations to be a snowbird.  I've always read great things about Asheville, NC so I decided to check out golf courses in the area.   The first one I looked at online was Black Mountain Golf.  It is owned by the town of Black Mountain which is a short drive from Asheville.  As I was reading about the golf course, hole by hole, I saw the following:

Hole 16 Handicap 3

Blue 348 Yards Par 4
White 333 Yards Par 4
Red 295 Yards Par 4

Another great par 4. Up hill all the way with hazard running up the left. The large tree on the left may force a fairway wood or hybrid to the right side of the fairway. Challenging approach to a two tiered green. Favor the right side as anything left will almost certainly mean bogey!

*A tee shot or approach shot may find the cart path on the right side. If the ball rolls backwards, back down to the tee box. Local rules allow you to replace the ball on the fairway just off the cart path where the ball reached its furthest point.

That got my attention, I have not seen a local rule like this but I'm sure it speeds up play significantly.   Then...I saw #17!

Hole 17 Handicap 13

Blue 747 Yards Par 6
White 692 Yards Par 6
Red 634 Yards Par 6

The famous 747yd par 6! The aggressive play is to take driver off the tee. This forces the player to aim right over the tree line to allow the ball to roll left off the bank to the fairway. A push to the right into the trees may mean 3 off the tee! A safer tee shot is hybrid into the fairway taking care not to go too far left. 2nd is played through the gap in the trees. The perfect shot shape is a slight draw as the fairway banks severely right to left leaving a difficult third if you find yourself high on the right side. The big hitters now have a chance to go for the green in 3, aiming left to cut off the dog leg to the green. The more strategic thinker will hit their 3rd and favor the left side of the fairway as the hole starts to dog leg right. This will leave a short iron approach to an elevated green. It may sound strange but 6 is a great score!  A birdie 5 is something to really celebrate!

This got me thinking.   I've not played a par 6 hole let alone seen one.   Have you played a par 6?

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2482 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!