IGNORED

My Swing (ch716)

ch716
Note: This thread is 2622 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello!  I'll start by giving some background on my golf journey.  I started playing golf in 2010 just for a random hobby to have every once in a while.  Around Spring 2013 I got serious about the game, joined a local country club, and started playing 3-4 times per week.  I managed to develop, what I thought was, a decent swing and worked my way down to a 9 handicap.  November 2014 I suffered a back injury and had to step away for a while.  During that time my wife and I welcomed our first of two kids in a 14 month window and Uncle Sam moved us across the country; so golf became the least of my worries.  After 2.5 years away from the game, I finally stepped back on the course last week and gave it a shot.  To my surprise I somehow pulled a 90 out of my hat, but my swing feels like crap and I'm hoping for some help.

The videos aren't that great (IPhone), but I'll be using a different camera for the next set. 

I've been Playing Golf for: 7 years
My current handicap index or average score is: still calculating
My typical ball flight is: light fade
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: push and thin shots

DRIVER DTL

DRIVER Face On

WEDGE DTL

7-IRON DTL

7-IRON Face On

@ch716,

thanks for posting. Try to get the camera about hand height for both the DTL and FO views. Also have the DTL view line up with your toe line. 

One thing I did notice is you are swaying back a bit during the backswing. Check out the thread below. It can really help with club head path, getting weight forward at impact, etc. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome back to TST! 

And welcome to swing threads. Probably one of the best things we can all do to start making real progress. 

As Scott noted above, the angles are important so take a read through some of the links near the top of this page (some on camera tips, some on swing thread in general):

I also see the swaying he mentioned right as you start your swing. In the driver face on, you get everything falling backwards to start your swing in the first few frames of motion. Look at the tower in the distance between your legs as a reference point and go frame by frame.

For the driver DTL, I cannot see your whole body at address, but at impact I do. Makes me think you might be standing up as you get to impact (perhaps the "hump the goat" phenomenon, which I think is common). Hard to tell with the angles though.

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

21 minutes ago, RandallT said:

For the driver DTL, I cannot see your whole body at address, but at impact I do. Makes me think you might be standing up as you get to impact (perhaps the "hump the goat" phenomenon, which I think is common). Hard to tell with the angles though.

Wouldn't this mean he is falling toward the ball on his downswing? I see, the same thing on my swing and it was pointed out as something I should fix but I assumed it to mean I was moving forward (towards the ball), not standing up. 

3 minutes ago, Antneye said:

Wouldn't this mean he is falling toward the ball on his downswing? I see, the same thing on my swing and it was pointed out as something I should fix but I assumed it to mean I was moving forward (towards the ball), not standing up. 

I'll let an instructor diagnose for certain as I'm really not sure myself. From reading multiple swing threads over the years, I see lots of times this butt moving toward the ball accompanied by the head rising - but it's hard to tell with these angles. 

I suppose he could be falling forward and not raising his head. I don't recall seeing that as much over the years. 

My main point was that the angles could be better for a real instructor (not me) to better assist with figuring out his priority :-D

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I'll redo the videos with better angles and check out some of the links regarding hip turn.  Just got a net for the backyard so that I can practice daily!  I'll try and get the videos up in the next few days.

Great. We recommend putting some sort of alignment stick down the line of the toes, then put camera in line with that stick behind you (DTL).

For both views, try to get level height with hands. 

Good luck!

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Note: This thread is 2622 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!