IGNORED

Self-delusion, spelled G-O-L-F?

Blackjack Don
Note: This thread is 2137 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 5/30/2018 at 8:17 PM, lastings said:

Disagree.  Mistakes are not random at all.  As a matter of fact, mistakes compound themselves.   Everyone has bad swings.  Bad golfers lack both the mental toughness to reset themselves and not carry that bad swing into the next swing, and also lack the knowledge and understanding of what caused that bad swing. 

What you wrote agrees with me except where you stated that you disagree 😁

On 5/31/2018 at 1:23 AM, Blackjack Don said:

I'd suggest it's a big mistake we often make thinking we practice enough, or we can at all? It's a mistake to say I'll skip a day, or worse, this week. It's a very hard skill to learn. Most of us aren't much in the way of athletic. Another delusion? lol

Yes, all golfers at all the lower levels of play  are delusional. It’s the lure of golf, feels so close but when you look objectively you realize that this game is really difficult.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:52 AM, Blackjack Don said:

Oftentimes when I'm talking about golf, I realize I'm the hippie at an NRA convention. As long as I mind my manners, they won't stop talking to me, and that's really all I want. I have been a golf fan for nearly 50 years, and I've never heard this subject addressed: Why do we think we are better than we are?

This week, I started out with four straight pars. For someone who can't consistently break 90, that's not bad. I thought I was on my way to 85, which is my goal by the end of summer. I finished the round 30 strokes over par. It all went to hell. I thought I was better than I am.

Par is a stupid goal for me. Par for me should be one shot over what the expert golfer would shoot on a given hole. Why, oh, why did I try to hit close to that flag over the the water? Why do I think I am better than I am??

Why am I sailing blissfully down the river Denial? 

Golf--It's a humbling game.

My buddy says golf is only called that because the other more appropriate four letter words were already taken. 

• Like 1

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

On 6/6/2018 at 7:57 AM, fishgolf said:

My buddy says golf is only called that because the other more appropriate four letter words were already taken. 

Your buddy is right!

Here's another of my favorites. When I'm looking for a ball, it's always 30 yards back there.

If it weren't for delusion, who'd play this stupid game?! Maybe we should let our delusion flags fly free! Your buddy has the right sense of humor for recreational golf. As I often think at work, if this is a game, how come nobody is having fun? Or, as my buddy says, it's a drinking game on a goat pasture.

Wayne

• 2 weeks later...

So, I was on the driving range last night. A fellow was hitting balls next to me while a beautiful girl and her brother waited for him to hit a large bucket of balls.

i mentioned this to him, and threatened to take his place, but his retort was he was spraying the ball all over the place and getting that right was more important than playing the course 🤪🤪🤪

So, I asked him if he was going for the green pole on the little hill 150 yards away, and he said yes. His balls were landing within 10 to 15 yards of the target or 20 to 30 yards dispersion for the most part with one or two flyers. I hit an iron to the same target and landed within 15-20 yards and stated that was pretty good for me. 😁

Then I asked what were his expectations? He then realized that maybe he expected more than he could deliver? Because he immediately went over to his prospective (and did I mention gorgeous?) girlfriend and started playing golf.

Other than not seriously mis-hitting the balls, it seems like most of should be happy with “normal” and average strikes.

Golf isn’t delusional, we all seem to be.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2137 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!