IGNORED

Best Golf Course in Myrtle Beach?

Note: This thread is 5916 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I lived in Myrtle for 5 years about 10 years ago. Here's just some of my thoughts:

The Wizard is a great course to start your vacation with because it's usually in great condition, there's not much traffic, it's pretty cheap, and it's a confidence builder since you can just belt it out there.

Tidewater is great if it's up to snuff. Problem is that the greens can be awful.

I used to work at Caledonia. Great course, although they have hardcore Bermuda greens.

True Blue is Caledonia's sister course, right across the street. Polarizing course as if you ask 10 golfers who played it, 5 of them will say it's the greatest course ever and 5 of them will say it's awful.

I've never played Barefoot Landing courses or World Tour 18. Everybody I've talked to raves about them, plus they are ideally located if you're staying in Myrtle Beach. If you're staying in the southern part, like towards Pawley's Island...you're better off looking at the Heritage Club, Caldeonia and True Blue.

You can't really go wrong with the Legends which is usually in great shape with great greens at a reasonable price.

Stay away from King's North and TPC at Myrtle....they're not bad courses they are just way overpriced.

Dunes is probably the best, although if you can get on Barefoot Landing courses they may be better.

3JACK

Oh, we won't stay in Myrtle Beach because we live in Sumter, that is a. 100 miles away, so we will drive there.
And like it seems now, we get to play on sunday the 24th of February. I am not sure if I will be able to on saturday the first of March, because my time in the US ends on the 2nd of March and I have to catch my flight at 12a.m.

So Dunes is priority #1 right now!
What do you can tell me about the condition? I mean, here in Sumter everything is brown, there is no green grass around. Since it is freezing in the nights again I am not very confident, that this will change until we leave!

In my Bag:

Driver: Taylormade R7 425 10,5°, Graphite Design Purple Ice 85 Regular
#3 Wood: Taylormade R7 Steel 15°, RE*AX 70 Stiff

#4 Rescue: Taylormade Rescue Hybrid 09 22°, RE*AX 65 Stiff
3-PW Irons: MP-32 ProjectX 6.0
Wedges: MP-T Black Nickel 51.6 and 56.14 Spinner Rifle Shafts
Putter: Studio Style Newport 2.5 35''

Golfclub Schloss Myllendonk (Par 72, CR 72,9, Slope 134)

I'm in Myrtle right now. I'm going to play Long Bay, Aberdeen, River Club, Litchfield, Barefoot Norman and Barefoot Dye over the next 4 days. I'll let you know if any of them are excellent.
In the bag 8/12/09:
R9 w/ 63g S Fubuki | 909F2 13.5º | 909H 19º | MP-67 w/ Project X 5.5, 3-PW | Spin Milled 52â¢04, 56â¢08, 60â¢04 | BC1, 35" | Tour One | uPro

Hcp: 5.9
Trend: 5.2

Great service, thank you!

Enjoy your trip!

In my Bag:

Driver: Taylormade R7 425 10,5°, Graphite Design Purple Ice 85 Regular
#3 Wood: Taylormade R7 Steel 15°, RE*AX 70 Stiff

#4 Rescue: Taylormade Rescue Hybrid 09 22°, RE*AX 65 Stiff
3-PW Irons: MP-32 ProjectX 6.0
Wedges: MP-T Black Nickel 51.6 and 56.14 Spinner Rifle Shafts
Putter: Studio Style Newport 2.5 35''

Golfclub Schloss Myllendonk (Par 72, CR 72,9, Slope 134)

So having played Long Bay, Aberdeen, River Club and Litchfield:

Litchfield is a really well designed course and the greens are rolling true. Good place. Long Bay is also a blast to play. The good news is there are packages you can get to play both for not too much coin. Just hunt around online and you'll find some good deals.

Don't play Aberdeen, which is kind of a joke. River Club was alright, but there's no reason to play there either.

Have a great trip!
In the bag 8/12/09:
R9 w/ 63g S Fubuki | 909F2 13.5º | 909H 19º | MP-67 w/ Project X 5.5, 3-PW | Spin Milled 52â¢04, 56â¢08, 60â¢04 | BC1, 35" | Tour One | uPro

Hello,

Tidewater is a good course and (IMHO unlike a lot of Myrtle) not tricked up.

If you want quality and mildly weird, try the courses at the Legends.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Annnnnnnnd now that I've played at Barefoot's Norman course, I'll give that the best out of the five I named. Well cared for - Barefoot might be the way to go.
In the bag 8/12/09:

Annnnnnnnd now that I've played at Barefoot's Norman course, I'll give that the best out of the five I named. Well cared for - Barefoot might be the way to go.

Is the traffic from the highway really that bad at Barefoot? I was reading the Myrtle Beach Golf Association's review of Barefoot and they gave it a good review, but acted like the freeway was of Monster Truck Rally annoyance.

Good to hear Long Bay is doing well, one of my favorites on the Beach. Oh yeah, can we just sticky this thread for people who play or want to play Myrtle Beach courses? 3JACK

Is the traffic from the highway really that bad at Barefoot? I was reading the Myrtle Beach Golf Association's review of Barefoot and they gave it a good review, but acted like the freeway was of Monster Truck Rally annoyance.

Myrtle Beach traffic is the only reason I haven't gone back there in 5 years.

I like the Pinehurst area much better for a golf trip. No beach combers there. Hilton Head is great and the prices reflect it. That might be the best planned "golf city".

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

I hardly noticed the highway. It's a 2-lane highway, first of all, so think of it as a road. It's also not that loud, and the highway does not border every hole. If there's a section of the highway that's wider than 2 total lanes, I didn't notice, and that says something.

I played Barefoot's Dye course too. This might be because of my predilections, but I thought it was a poorly designed course though it too was well cared for.

Long Bay really was a lot of fun; I'm waffling between Long Bay and Norman for best play last weekend.
In the bag 8/12/09:

Myrtle Beach traffic is the only reason I haven't gone back there in 5 years.

It was so much worse when I lived there 10 years ago. They didn't have those access roads on 501 and in order to go the opposite direction you had to use medians which are extremely dangerous. My dad almost got killed in a car accident doing that once. They also didn't have that hwy going from 501 to N. Myrtle (can't remember the name). So if you were by the Waccamaw Bridge and need to go to N. Myrtle, it was an easy 35 minute drive.

It's one of the things I look forward to going to Myrtle as the traffic is so much better than it once was. That and I live in Atlanta, so I really know lousy traffic. Strangely, my car insurance went down once I moved to Atlanta. 3JACK

I hardly noticed the highway. It's a 2-lane highway, first of all, so think of it as a road. It's also not that loud, and the highway does not border every hole. If there's a section of the highway that's wider than 2 total lanes, I didn't notice, and that says something.

That doesn't surprise me. Reading the MBGA's review they seemed to look for anything to gripe about. They griped up and down about Thoroughbred's one of my favorite places to eat in Myrtle.

3JACK

It was so much worse when I lived there 10 years ago. They didn't have those access roads on 501 and in order to go the opposite direction you had to use medians which are extremely dangerous. My dad almost got killed in a car accident doing that once. They also didn't have that hwy going from 501 to N. Myrtle (can't remember the name). So if you were by the Waccamaw Bridge and need to go to N. Myrtle, it was an easy 35 minute drive.

I don't remember any of the names of the roads. I do remember that (with travel) a round of golf was an eight hour deal. Seemed like there was only one "highway" going north-south and nothing qualifying as a highway going east-west.

Heck yes your insurance went down.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:

I'll be down there next week, playing:

Myrtlewood: Palmetto
Witch
Man O' War
River Hills
King's North
Blackmoor
True Blue

In My Bag:
Driver: TaylorMade Burner 9.5* Stock Stiff
5 Wood: TaylorMade V-Steel Aldila NV Stiff
7 Wood: TaylorMade V-Steel Stock Steel
4-PW: TaylorMade R7XD Stock Stiff Steel48* Wedge: Callaway Forged52* Wedge: Founders Club60* Wedge: Founders ClubPutter: Odyssey DFX 6600Balls: Titleist ProV1 & DT SoLo

Decent course for the price.

Witch Man O' War

I also used to work at Man O'War before I got to Caledonia. Man O'War is pretty underrated. No real spectacular holes, but not a bad hole on the course and almost always in great condition. The Witch is excellent if the greens are in good shape. They have some issues with the greens due to being located in the woods.

River Hills King's North Blackmoor True Blue

Can't say I'm a fan of any of these. True Blue you'll either hate or love.

3JACK

I've played two of the four Ocean Ridge Plantation courses -- Lion's Paw and Leopard's Chase. To me, both are very interesting and challenging courses. I'd recommend both of them. It seems to me (I've been wrong before) that Panther's Run is generally thought to be the best of the four courses at Ocean Ridge Plantation.

I have property on lion's paw. Tiger's Eye is the one I believe you are thinking is the nicest. Although they are trying to get (if they haven't already) acquire a USopen qualifier with Leopard's Chase.

If you go to look at property while there ask for Mike Smith. Great guy and down to earth. Tell him Dave from Canada says hi
What's in the bag

Driver: Speed LD F Driver 9.5°
5 wood: 909F2 18.5°
Hybrid: EDGE CFT 21°Irons: i5 - 4-pwWedges: CG10 52°, 56°, & 60° degreePutter: Udrainium Doc 15Ball: DT SoLoHome Courses: Spring Lakes Golf Club, Stouffville, ON & Ocean Ridge Plantation Golf, Sunset...

I will be playing this when I go down this year. Looking forward to it.

No one has mentioned another Tim Cate design(who did the Ocean Ridge courses)....The Thistle....Loved this course http://www.thistlegolf.com/index_golf.cfm
What's in the bag

Driver: Speed LD F Driver 9.5°
5 wood: 909F2 18.5°
Hybrid: EDGE CFT 21°Irons: i5 - 4-pwWedges: CG10 52°, 56°, & 60° degreePutter: Udrainium Doc 15Ball: DT SoLoHome Courses: Spring Lakes Golf Club, Stouffville, ON & Ocean Ridge Plantation Golf, Sunset...

Note: This thread is 5916 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!