IGNORED

Playing in the Rain

Andrew
Note: This thread is 5913 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So, heres a background story first,

i know my courses head pro through camps and lessons at the course.
ive known him for a while and he picks the 4 best kids going into high school and goes out on the course with us. i am one of those for
So every thursday we go out to the course.
Needless to say it was raining.
Now this was only the second real time i have played in the rain.

The lies sucked and my putts didnt roll true and i had no grip on my clubs.Of course i forget my all weather gloves THAT day.

but i found it really helpfull, in that it will help me for high school
So what do you think?

Comments on playing in the rain?

In my Warbird Bag,
I have
Burner Driver 460cc 9.5* Stiff
Three and Five Woods
Precise- 21* and 24* hybridsCCi Cast Irons-4-AW 52* and 56*/14 Vokey 60*/8and i play TP Black or ProV1

Since I live in the Seattle area and most of my golf (except in July, August, September) is played in the rain I feel your pain.

All weather gloves are definitely a must. Even if the grips are wet still make sure that you get comfortable over the ball, it is hard to hit a good shot when all you can think about is hanging onto club.

One thing that I still struggle with in the rain at times is distance control. I take decent divots on my iron shots and in wet conditions this can cause me some pain, due to the fact that depending on how wet the grass in that area is I may get too much wet ground and come up short.

Congrats on getting selected to play in this group.

What's in the bag?
Titleist D2 9.5 Stiff
Mizuno F60 3W
TaylorMade 3 Hybrid
Nike Pro Combo 3-PWTaylorMade TP 52 degreeTaylorMade TP 60degree

don't mind the rain if its not cold

its make for a fun day cuz its like a whole new course with it playing differently

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

i play in the rain more often than in the sun, living in the uk, but you just have to try and play your normal game, even though it can be frustrating. here are a few tips that might help you:

1 play your 3w rather than driver as you will get little roll when the fairways are wet and the ball will stay in the air longer and so you will carry it further.

2 have all weather golf gloves to help with the grip

3 if you have rubber grips on your clubs, consider changing them to ones with a different material eg the golf pride multi compound grips as these will not get slippy and will help you maintain your grip. regripping may cost you about $100, but you will see an improvement, in any weather (btw, you are supposed to regrip your clubs every 6 months)

Main thing about the rain for me is to keep my mind focused b/c that rain is not going to make it easy for anyone. I have winn grips which in the rain make my grips tackier and almost easier to handle in the the rain rather than dry weather.
What's In The Bag?

Driver - Rapture 10.5 Epic 68g X-Pure - Balance Certified
Fairway Metal - Titleist PT 18°
Irons - Mizuno MP-67 3-PW Project X 6.0 Wedges - Mizunos R Series Chrome 52°, 56°, 58° Project X 6.0 Putter - Yes! C-Groove Callie-f - Balance Certified Bag - Ping Freestyle...

Two rain stories for you... and yes playing in the rain is good practice for when it may occur in a match.

My first year of law school during finals week it was amazing... perfect weather. First day off the weather is junk and for the next 8 days straight. I'm not joking either... it rained for 8 straight days. There was heavy flooding in the area and most courses weren't even open. So on the ninth day I wake up early, watch the weather, checjk the radar, and it appears there will be a gap for about 3-4 hours. I found an open course and I was the ONLY person out there. They let me play for free... said we have no carts today, but you can try to walk a few if you want. I went to pay, and the pro said ahh... just go ahead, but it looks like some weather is heading in soon. I played quick... finished the front in an hour and it started lightly raining. By the time I had finished it was ridiculous... my wife laughed her arse off when I told her I golfed that day... but it was great.

Same year I finished the season like I started. I was on a golf trip with the church and we play a Sinners and Saints ryder cup type thing for our second rounds each day (we play 36 a day). Big match-up... playing a two man scramble that day and it's myself and one fellas son, v. that fella and another guy. The guy had just got beat by his son for the first time a few weeks ago, so it was game on between them. We were also the last match of the day. Rain started on about 6 or 7, and by 16 there was literally a river running through the green. I had never played in anything like it, it was torrential. The rain also slowed us down and on 18 it was getting dark... we could see the group in front of us back at 16, but apparently most of the groups had quit. The boy and his father wouldn't budge... we were one down having lost our lead from the front, and he desperately wanted to square the match. We lost one down, on 18 we both lost our approach shots in the darkness and could not find them near the green. It was by far the most ridiculous weather I have ever played in, but it is something I'll always remember. My FJ rain gloves worked great... I bought them and a rain suit just for the trip, and thank God I did, because without rain gear I would have been screwed... it was only about 60* when we finished.

Rain can make memorable rounds... rain gear makes those round tolerable... just be prepared and have fun with it.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

So, heres a background story first,

The most important stuff in my bag is rain gear. Once I figured out what I really needed, the rain didn't affect my score as much. I love to see it start raining when I'm playing for money (i.e., playing golf). I decided that I am not going to be bothered by rain other than the water. I figure I'll let my opponents get their knickers in a knot, over-sympathize with them and let their mental game beat them. Good luck from the rain belt.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

yeah, i love playing by myself in the rain.Great experience.

Oh and i went off today and it was raining a little and i shot a 41.
Which is okay i guess.

In my Warbird Bag,
I have
Burner Driver 460cc 9.5* Stiff
Three and Five Woods
Precise- 21* and 24* hybridsCCi Cast Irons-4-AW 52* and 56*/14 Vokey 60*/8and i play TP Black or ProV1

all i can see is be prepared!

i've gotten used to the rain, and i even play with glasses. Get the right gear - bring it all the time (unless you're certain it's not going to rain).

The more you play/practice in the rain the easier it becomes - believe me - it always rains here! we had 50+ consecutive days in the rain last summer - June to August - the main golfing season.

The gear i'd bring/wear every time I play: waterproof jacket & trousers & hat, visor, good shoes (waterproof if possible), umbrella, spare towels, spare gloves in a plastic waterproof bag, rain cover for my golf bag.

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

A couple of tips for you:
-Make sure you have a rain hood or something to cover your clubs
-Keep a towel in a closed pocket that you use to wipe off grips
-Consider buying a pair of rain gloves. THey are made so that when you wet them down they get tackier.
-Keep it in the short stuff. The rough gets stickier when it gets wet. Don't be afraid to hit 3 wood or iron on a hole where you would usually hit driver.
-Let the conditions play to your advantage. Weather can only affect your game if you acknowledge the weather.

I cant tell you, rain and cruddy conditions are a common aspect of high school golf. Learn to play in it and it will make you a much better player.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

most important thing is to have plenty of towels. Wipe your clubs before and afterwards. The grips will stay dry, apart from that just play your normal game. Hit more punchy, half shots and fire at the pins as it will probably stop.
By far the worse weather I have played in is playing on a links course with consistant rain and 40mph winds. You just couldn't have an umbrella afterwards I removed all the 5 layers and was wet all the way through

most important thing is to have plenty of towels. Wipe your clubs before and afterwards. The grips will stay dry, apart from that just play your normal game. Hit more punchy, half shots and fire at the pins as it will probably stop.

Was that the one where you shot 111

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

As another Seattle golfer, this is one part of the game I know fairly well. :) Preparation is everything for bad weather golf. Some of my most enjoyable rounds have been played in the rain.

I hate using a power cart in general, but I detest it in the rain. Easier to stay dry walking with an umbrella for me.

If I've got my push cart, I can usually get by without the rain gloves as the cart has an umbrella holder that helps keep my towel and grips dry. I have a pair though, and sometimes I'll wear them just for the added warmth if nothing else.

An extra towel in a zip-top freezer bag can be just the thing for a mental boost in the middle of a wet round.

Full rain gear and water proof shoes go without saying. A waterproof hat can be nice, but I've found it's a liability in the wind and usually I just opt for a ball cap.

Those little chemical hand warmer packets can be a real boon. Keeping hands warm can make all the difference, especially around the green.

As far as playing goes, my only advice would be to club up and swing under control. With the extra layers your movement will be a little impinged anyway, so think about hitting alot of knockdowns and 3/4 shots.

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

• 4 weeks later...

I've played in what felt like a hurricane at the time and picked up a tip from it - don't stand down wind from your partners swing. When he takes a divit it may splat all over you.

DR: Insight XTD Pro DF2400X 9.5 w/YSQ AD 65g S-flex
4W: Insight 16.5 Stiff
3,4 Hybrid: Idea Pro
5I - GW: Idea Pro -1 degree
SW: RST-DSG 56LW: RST-DSG 60Putter: Newport 2 DetourBall: TP Red

I like playing in a slight drizzle or mist. I kinda like the atmosphere it brings. As long as you can keep your clubs dry, and it's not lightening, it's pretty fun.
In my Vantage bag:
Driver::905R 8.5*(V2)
3 Wood:Launcher 13*(V2)
Irons:AP2 (Project X 5.5) (3-W)
HybridTWS 19*Gap wedge:CG15 50* Sand wedge:CG15 56*Putter:: XG9 (35")Ball:ProV1X

Note: This thread is 5913 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!