IGNORED

My Swing (Nick-UK)

Nick-UK

I've been Playing Golf for: 20 years (on and off)
My current handicap index or average score is: 21
My typical ball flight is: Fairly heavy draw
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Shank!

Hi guys,

I'm really struggling to find any sort of consistency, and any insight would be greatly appreciated!  I feel like my swing is entirely based on luck and timing and doesn't at all feel repeatable.  To make things worse, I've started to shank about 1 in 5 balls :(

I'm prepared to try anything right now, so don't hold back!  Thanks in advance.

Videos: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pei6NJ6Ouhw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPaZ2dfRIW8

I’m not sure why your post didn’t imbed the videos, so I reposted for you.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 hours ago, Nick-uk said:

Sorry. Thanks for sorting it! 

You don't appear to turn your hips very much in the backswing. Check out the thread below, it will help.

There is also a lot of good reading here.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Ah you're right! What are the implications of not rotating the hips enough? Is likely that this alone is responsible for the lack of consistency that I'm seeing? 

Also, watching my front - on video again, I feel like everything looks very...cramped after impact. Do you agree, and if so, how can this be addressed? 

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Bob Mac said:

Does the ball start left then draw?

Or slice. More likely the latter…

Screen Shot 2018-08-15 at 7.40.52 AM.png

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 hours ago, Bob Mac said:

Does the ball start left then draw?

No, it typically starts off relatively straight, before drawing fairly heavily. 

37 minutes ago, iacas said:

Or slice. More likely the latter…

Screen Shot 2018-08-15 at 7.40.52 AM.png

That frame looks all sorts of wrong! Where should I even start?! 

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Nick-uk said:

That frame looks all sorts of wrong! Where should I even start?! 

Fix your alignment first. If you think the ball starts straight you’re aimed WAY right.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)
7 hours ago, iacas said:

Fix your alignment first. If you think the ball starts straight you’re aimed WAY right.

I can see how you'd think that, given the club head in that frame and the placement of the club on the floor, but I wasn't actually using that for alignment. I'm generally fairly comfortable with my alignment at address (and occasionally double check it by laying a club down against the tips of my feet), and on a clean strike it does start out in the desired direction. 

Edited by Nick-uk

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Nick-uk said:

I can see how you'd think that, given the club head in that frame and the placement of the club on the floor, but I wasn't actually using that for alignment. I'm generally fairly comfortable with my alignment at address (and occasionally double check it by laying a club down against the tips of my feet), and on a clean strike it does start out in the desired direction. 

I didn't even look at the club lying by your feet.

Analyzr Image Export.jpg

That's a pull. Not even a little one, really. The ball is going way, way left.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, iacas said:

I didn't even look at the club lying by your feet.

Analyzr Image Export.jpg

That's a pull. Not even a little one, really. The ball is going way, way left.

I see what you mean now! 

How should I go about addressing it? It looks like I'm way off plane and coming down outside-in...? 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Nick-uk said:

I see what you mean now! 

Aim further left. That alone will help stop you from swinging so far to the left.

Then work on getting the turn and the "depth" that other people have mentioned.

• 3 years later...

Hi guys, I'm back and needing some more swing advice.

A couple of months ago I received my new irons (Jpx 921 pro) and I'm wanting to take my golf more seriously this season. I've played about 10 rounds and typically scoring 90-98, which I'm thoroughly disappointed with. I've just started seeing a new pro and he is trying to get me to have a much stronger left hand grip, but looking at my swing, that feels like the least of my problems. My swing has always been really steep, so I'm currently working on getting my hands more round my back on the backswing. As you can see in my previous videos, my shoulders also tend to be fairly far forward, causing my upper back to arch, so I'm trying to really focus on correcting this in these new swing videos.

Yesterday I hit 5 shanks in a single round, but also crushed some 200+ long irons, so basically really inconsistent. Any input would be highly appreciated!

It’s hard to tell with those videos. They need to be filmed in slow motion and with proper angles. You also didn’t mention your typical ball flight, push, pull, fade, draw, etc.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

Scott

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, boogielicious said:

It’s hard to tell with those videos. They need to be filmed in slow motion and with proper angles. You also didn’t mention your typical ball flight, push, pull, fade, draw, etc.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

Hi Boogie.

I think you should be able to set the playback speed in YouTube.

Just now, Nick-uk said:

Hi Boogie.

I think you should be able to set the playback speed in YouTube.

Give it a try and repost the link.

Scott

My Swing Thread

18 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Give it a try and repost the link.

I mean in the viewer's settings - just set the playback speed to 0.25 (I tried to do this in the recording settings but couldn't see it).