IGNORED

Need Help Selecting a Golf Mat

Note: This thread is 2059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Good morning everyone, 

I have recently moved into a neighborhood that has a great free driving range. When I went to check out the range yesterday everything was great except for the mats and grass. You can hit from wherever you want but the grass is not well maintained so it’s not ideal hitting from the grass. The mats are pretty old and torn up and warped and not worth hitting from either. I think the best idea is for me to buy a mat and take it to the range with me. When I was looking online today at mats there was so many different types and sizes and prices. I was looking to see if anyone has any recommendations for a mat for the situation I am in. I am hoping to be able to use all my clubs and be able to drive chip pitch and use all my irons with this mat. I am not looking to spend an arm and a leg but I also don’t want crap. Thanks for the everyone help. 

• iacas changed the title to Need Help Selecting a Golf Mat
  • Administrator

TrueStrike mats are best, and I think the RealFeel mats are second on my list.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

while I would agree with the suggestions above for a quality mat, if the use is intended as a portable mat you could take to the range, I would recommend a small mat available from Home Depot online. The cost is (or was) around $22. The size as I recall is something like 12 x 30 and they hold up very well and also will accommodate the holding of a real tee. I don't remember the exact name, but something like "true green, or true line"". You can look up "Golf Hitting Mats". If something larger is needed, I have also used The "Monster Mat" which has held up for 5 years or so. There is a photo of one or two set ups I have used in recent thread "Commercial range mats vs home set up:".

Real Feel also makes a small, similar sized mat, but won't hold a real tee. For best results use 2 (or 3) mats, one to hit off, the other(s) to stand on to keep feet on same level, or you could choke down a little.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

53 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

The size as I recall is something like 12 x 30 and they hold up very well and also will accommodate the holding of a real tee. I don't remember the exact name, but something like "true green, or true line"". You can look up "Golf Hitting Mats". If something larger is needed, I have also used The "Monster Mat" which has held up for 5 years or so. There is a photo of one or two set ups I have used in recent thread "Commercial range mats vs home set up:".

Correction. The Home Depot Mat I was referring to does not seem to be available. The closest I saw was called "Duraplay" but do not know if they are any good. I did find some on All Turf Website.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Note: This thread is 2059 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!