IGNORED

Iron Shaft Help

Note: This thread is 2030 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey all!  Before getting into the possible solutions for my problem here's what I'm currently dealing with:

Driver Swing Speed:  95-97 mph

7-iron Swing Speed:  81-83 mph

Moderate Swing Tempo

Primary Shot Miss (right)  

I'm left handed.

All of my irons are equipped with True Temper DG S300's.  Now, these shafts were fitted for me when I had a 105+ mph swing.  Even then I don't think they were the right shafts for me.  I can't get the ball up in the air with the 4-5 irons.  The kickpoint on these clubs are really high, and I don't have the swing speed to get the optimal performance out of this shaft.

The 4 carries about 175, and the 5 carries about 170, while my 6 carries about 165 (the loft on my 6 is 32*).

To add more to it, these shafts are heavy to me.  I'm thinking of making a purchase to some new technology and getting rid of my blades.  Currently looking at gaming 5-PW on the 919 Hotmetal or the 919 Forged.  Both will be miles more forgiving than the 20 year old KZG's that I'm playing now.  But with my swing speed being where it is, and knowing that I am looking for a lighter weight shaft, can y'all recommend some shafts?

I'm looking for more height on all my irons, but definitely need them on my 4 and 5.  Currently my 6-SW are seem to be high enough, however, I don't know if I'm missing out on distance with those as well.  The 4 and 5 need to be significantly higher than they currently are.  It seems they don't get more than maybe 60-70 feet off the ground, and I'm thinking they need to be to at least 90' in height.  

Bad news: mostly everyone (including myself) will tell you to go get fitted.

Good news:  Since you're considering new model irons, a shop should do the fitting for free when you buy the irons from them.

But from someone who would describe as pretty similar to yours, I would not play DG S300s either.  Looking at something in the 105ish gram range, maybe higher launching.  But again, I won't know until I get fitted for shafts.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, Foot Wedge said:

Bad news: mostly everyone (including myself) will tell you to go get fitted.

Good news:  Since you're considering new model irons, a shop should do the fitting for free when you buy the irons from them.

But from someone who would describe as pretty similar to yours, I would not play DG S300s either.  Looking at something in the 105ish gram range, maybe higher launching.  But again, I won't know until I get fitted for shafts.

Definitely gonna get fitted.  It's just that I'm obsessive compulsive with wanting to learn how things work and why they work.  Was reading up on the XP line and also the Nippon Pro 950's.  Once I get my eyes on a few shafts I try building them online, and wouldn't you know it?  They don't offer the irons with those shafts.  Would it then be an upcharge?

8 minutes ago, Reef Donkey said:

Definitely gonna get fitted.  It's just that I'm obsessive compulsive with wanting to learn how things work and why they work.  Was reading up on the XP line and also the Nippon Pro 950's.  Once I get my eyes on a few shafts I try building them online, and wouldn't you know it?  They don't offer the irons with those shafts.  Would it then be an upcharge?

I understand what you mean.  You can start learning about bend profiles and whatnot, there are a few members here that are very knowledgeable about golf shafts.  I tend to be very analytical as well, but when it comes to shafts, you have to let go a little.  Some shafts just jive with you, others don't.

About the upcharges, I'd say there would be one if it's not offered since the shop orders the clubs from the manufacturer, but FYI I've actually never been fitted.  Got my Mizunos as hand-me downs and have focused on improving my swing, though I do believe in finding the right shaft.  Trying a Callaway Apex head with XP95 vs PX-LZ105 was eye opening.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Foot Wedge said:

I understand what you mean.  You can start learning about bend profiles and whatnot, there are a few members here that are very knowledgeable about golf shafts.  I tend to be very analytical as well, but when it comes to shafts, you have to let go a little.  Some shafts just jive with you, others don't.

About the upcharges, I'd say there would be one if it's not offered since the shop orders the clubs from the manufacturer, but FYI I've actually never been fitted.  Got my Mizunos as hand-me downs and have focused on improving my swing, though I do believe in finding the right shaft.  Trying a Callaway Apex head with XP95 vs PX-LZ105 was eye opening.

When screwing around at the PGASS I hit the AP1's with the Red AMT shafts.  Holy crap those felt light and powerful.  Nice high shots and extra speed off the clubface.  

Note: This thread is 2030 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!