IGNORED

Ping Eye 2 Experts Please...

Note: This thread is 5925 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok, I have a buddy of mine that is getting ready to buy his first set of Ping Eye 2's. He wants the Beryllimu, which is the better choice IMHO. It just looks cooler. But, he is really torn between the regular, and sometimes infamous, Eye 2's and the "conforming" + versions.

I know the history of the conforming grooves, the plus / no plus issues as far as USGA regulations, etc. But he posed a question to me that I really couldn't answer.

Forget being collectable. Forget being what is in at the moment. Which one of the two is the better club to play with for a guy who consistently shoots in the low 80's?

I play with the originals and love them. The argument for these irons is that the "square" grooves that WERE non-conforming puts a little more bite on the ball, especially on 7 irons on in. And they are, in my opinion, very workable, but still very forgiving.

However, the argument for the +'s, from what I understand, is that they not only conformed the grooves, but they redesigned slightly the sole, changing the weighting, and increasing the club head size just a tad, making them much, much easier to hit.

I have let him hit mine, but the lie is a little off from what he will want to get for himself.

I don't know what to tell him. Anyone out there have any experience playing with both types? Thanks in advance.
In My Bags(s)... Main Set & Back Up Set

Driver: Rapture V2 9.o / G15 9.o (Stiff)
3 Wood: G15 15.5 / G10 15.o (Stiff)
5 Wood: G15 18.5 / G10 18.o (Stiff)Hybrid: G15 20.o / G10 21.o (Stiff)Irons & Wedges (4-L): Eye 2 +no+ / Eye 2 BeCu (Blue Dot / Stiff)Extra Wedge: 60.4 Satin Nickel Spin...

Yea- Email Tim Herron---he still plays with the eye 2 plus red dots. As far as my opinion goes---buy whatever looks good when u set the ball up and whats gonna make you confident

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

Note: This thread is 5925 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!