IGNORED

Odd

Note: This thread is 5798 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I went golfing today (just got back) and for the first 3 or 4 holes I was doing tremendously bad with my driver. So I decided to use my 5 wood, and I was hitting the ball perfect. I was slicing my drives really bad, so when I used my 5 wood, I tightened my grip. Now I decided to use my driver, and had a nice firm, tight grip, but I was still slicing the ball a mile to the right. Does anybody have any tips?

It could be a number of things obviously, but here are a few things I do when I am slicing my driver during a round.

- pay attention to the angle of your lead shoulder during take-away. do not let it dip down. try and pull it straight back to under your chin.
- make sure you are bringing the club back to the inside, low and slow. swing out on the ball
-your lead hand must be square to the ball at impact. make sure you are not leaving the club head open
- check ball position and alignment, posture is also important

As I am writing this, I am starting to think that too many suggestions like this might be counter productive. THere are sooooooo many things that could be causing this problem.

Go to the range, and try to hit nothing but hooks with your driver. A hook is a lot easier to fix then a slice

Best of luck!
In my bag

Driver 905R 9.5 with Aldila
3-wood G10 15 degree
Hybrid G10 18 degreeIrons MP 32Wedges 52 & 56 & 60 degreePutter SC SS Newport 1.5Ball

Yeah that is pretty weird that you have no problem with your other clubs. But I agree with the above poster I'd go to the range and hit 10 balls or so with your driver and see if you can get it straightened out and try to get that muscle memory.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

It could be your clubs. If your 5-wood shaft has (a lot) more torque than your driver shaft, that would cause it to twist and close your 5-wood clubface where the shaft on your driver wouldn't twist as much and leave the face open. I don't know very much about shaft physics, so I'm not really sure on this.

I have this same problem. I hit my 5 wood straight as an arrow. 3 wood is a little bit of a slice. Driver is a fairly significant slice. I attribute it, personally, to bringing the club through square. The 5 wood is smaller and lighter and an easier swing. The driver, being the longest club with the largest head and heaviest head offers less room for error and requires more precision.

I fixed it by taking my driver out of the bag.

Blog Internetz | Twitter | Rolling Knolls
----
Super LoCo 457cc 10*
Tight Lies 16* & 13*
Recovery 21* Pure Distance 4-PW Diadic 52* and raw 588 60* Anser 4 blade U-Tri Tour

Check to make sure that when you tee up to the ball with the driver, you don't open your shoulders by facing that ball (teed up farther forward in your stance). If it helps, and I have seen this help a lot of people, tee the ball up, but start with the driver in the center of your stance and swing it from there. Don't worry, you'll catch the ball on the upswing just fine. The point is that you won't be presetting your shoulders open (instead they start square) and so you are less likely to come over the top and slice the ball.

Works for me!
Favorite Practice Course:
Z Boaz Municipal, Fort Worth <<< Ben Hogan grew up playing here!
--------------------------------------------------

In the bag: 983E 9.5*, Fuji Speeder S RPM LP, 4W, Neutral Bias STAFF Ci6 irons, S (going up for sale soon) Tom Watson PVD 08 Wedges (G.S,L)... and a 4...

Note: This thread is 5798 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!