IGNORED

Looking at the hole while putting - try it!

Note: This thread is 2159 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I do this all the time now.  My playing partners (including my dad) think its wacky.....until I go 18 holes without a 3 putt!!  Try it! And give it a REAL try, not just one round.  Practice it and you will be shocked at the innate instinct of your body to get the ball rolling on the proper line as you are looking at it. Long putts are ALWAYS closer to the hole and short breakers just go right in! It's amazing!

Originally Posted by turtleback

I don't look at the hole when I putt, but I DO look at the hole when I am making my practice swings.  I generally take 3 practice swings.  On long putts the first 2 are from behind the ball at right angle to the line.  Then the third is up by the ball parallel to the line.  Then I move the putter behind the ball - one last look at the hole, then back to the ball and stroke.  On shorter putts - makeable ones - I reverse where I take the practice strokes, one behind the ball and two at the ball.

I find it helps both with speed and with visualization.

I do the same thing.

In fact, I do this with pitches, chips and pretty much anything under a full swing from 100 and in. Look at the target and take practice swing to get a feel for distance.

• 3 months later...

An earlier post mentioned that no tour player looks at the hole during contact, and I was asking myself, what about hockey players,

do they look at the goal? I know most sports that involve throwing a ball look at target--baseball, football, basketball. But maybe its

different with an implement in your hands. I think pool is usually done looking at the ball and so is tennis.

Originally Posted by Bayou Boogie

An earlier post mentioned that no tour player looks at the hole during contact, and I was asking myself, what about hockey players,

do they look at the goal? I know most sports that involve throwing a ball look at target--baseball, football, basketball. But maybe its

different with an implement in your hands. I think pool is usually done looking at the ball and so is tennis.

I played hockey.  That is a common problem with hockey players, you're right.  We do not look at the puck hardly ever, unless for just a split second before a shot.  However taking a "divot" on ice will not result in a duffed shot (or putt, God forbid).  It will just result in more flex on the shaft and therefore a more powerful shot.

Originally Posted by TJBam

I played hockey.  That is a common problem with hockey players, you're right.  We do not look at the puck hardly ever, unless for just a split second before a shot.  However taking a "divot" on ice will not result in a duffed shot (or putt, God forbid).  It will just result in more flex on the shaft and therefore a more powerful shot.

When you say divot on the ice you're referring to a slap shot, and good players look at the puck for most slap shots.  For the more accurate shots players always look at their target.

We have a few greens that are two tiered, so I use this method on them when I'm on the bottom tier.

Originally Posted by hero12

When you say divot on the ice you're referring to a slap shot, and good players look at the puck for most slap shots.  For the more accurate shots players always look at their target.

We have a few greens that are two tiered, so I use this method on them when I'm on the bottom tier.

Thanks for the opinion brother but from my experience high school and college you get a feel for where the puck is and then keep your eyes straight ahead looking for defensemen and reading holes.  Not to say you're wrong but you're splitting hairs in quite a simple analogy.

Granted maybe you're an NHL player but most people I played with and coaches (that played NHL) taught us differently.  But that's a different sport and a different forum.

People don't look at the puck on wrist shots because you can feel were the puck is on the stick. There is no need for look for it. I am guessing no one would be able to make solid contact on a one timer if they were looking at the next.  For two other sports with fixed balls being hit, I think both NFL kickers and soccer players talking penalty kicks tend to look at the ball.

My experience doing this a couple months back was that most of my shots were closer to the hole. However I would occassionally really mishit the ball much worse than the worst stroke with the normal routine. I am not sure if that was just a lack of practice issue or a flaw with the method.

Originally Posted by hero12

I'm a huge fan of the "looking at the hole" style. I use a face forwards technique and a putter and process designed by John at L2 putters. a really great putting process!

Taking the above advice may lead to destruction of your golf game. Laughing at it may reduce stress.

Condescending or not ,putting with the hole behind you does happen, watch vision of the last Australian Open I think it was when Tiger and K.J were putting hook shots with their backs to the hole on the ridiculous greens at the Lakes G.C.

Originally Posted by Snakey

Condescending or not ,putting with the hole behind you does happen, watch vision of the last Australian Open I think it was when Tiger and K.J were putting hook shots with their backs to the hole on the ridiculous greens at the Lakes G.C.

Looks like you're responding to a post of mine from 4 years ago.  As part of that conversation I agreed that the hole could be behind you but if it is, you're going to be much more concerned with direction than speed. Looking at the hole is more of a technique for getting the speed.

Bill

• 5 years later...

I began looking at the hole when I started having what probably is a form of the yips.  It has solved the problem, particularly on long putts   Moreover, I’m making far more putts. I use Aimpoint to identify my target and I focus on it.  My only problem is that occasionally I mishit my putt but I think that’s a matter of practice.   Jordan Spieth is/was using it. 

I use to do this years ago, way longer than before this thread started. It worked for a while, but eventually I went back to my old style.. 

My problem was on breaking putts. I'd catch myself looking at the hole, and not the break point........ smh

Now, I just might try it again after seeing this thread. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2159 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!