IGNORED

Will anyone pick up Richie Sexson?

Harry Longshanks
Note: This thread is 5758 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Seattle Mariners announced today that they have released 6'7" first baseman Richie Sexon.

Will he clear waivers, or will another team pick him up before Monday? If so, who?

If he clears waivers, who, if anyone, will be looking to picking him up for the bargain basement price of $200,000?

Can he do any good for any team at this point, considering his subpar performance for the past 2 seasons?

Is his nickname "The Big Sexy" the worst in major league baseball?

Sexson must really be terrible. I'm sure the scouts and coaches made the recommendation to the GM.

At $200,000, one would think that he would be picked up. That team would need 1B or LF, help, two positions that he can play. Hmmm, sounds like a player the NY Mets need.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

I picture him going to the Reds because Dusty Baker loves past-their-prime retreads.

Blog Internetz | Twitter | Rolling Knolls
----
Super LoCo 457cc 10*
Tight Lies 16* & 13*
Recovery 21* Pure Distance 4-PW Diadic 52* and raw 588 60* Anser 4 blade U-Tri Tour

SF Giants would be crazy not to pick him up, they need a RH power bat at 1st base. Their leading HR hitter has 9HR, and LH power dies at ATT park.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

I imagine someone will pick him up with blind hopes he'd find that 40 HR level again. Especially since the money is so low. At this stage of his career I think he's pretty much useless though. He strikes out a ridiculous amount, doesn't make regular solid contact in general, no speed, not much of a fielder I don't think, so if he's not mashing it out of the ball park he's useless. And I'm not talking 20 HRs... he needs to hit around 35-40 to have any value.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

I imagine someone will pick him up with blind hopes he'd find that 40 HR level again. Especially since the money is so low. At this stage of his career I think he's pretty much useless though. He strikes out a ridiculous amount, doesn't make regular solid contact in general, no speed, not much of a fielder I don't think, so if he's not mashing it out of the ball park he's useless. And I'm not talking 20 HRs... he needs to hit around 35-40 to have any value.

Not to mention the bad attitude lately.

But I think you are right, at half of the league minimum, someone will pick him up after he clears waivers. And I think the Mariners will be better off without him. (Although, in all fairness, they couldn't be any worse.)

He'd be a good fit in NY with Matsui hurt, and now Damon, we could use another bat in our lineup. Wouldn't mind seeing him at some 1B and DH on occassion. If we could sign him for a decent sized contract, it'd worth it.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

Not to mention the bad attitude lately.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the attitude. Good call. I was watching ESPN and they were talking about this and said how last year on two separate occasions he approached the manager to ask him, A) why the fans were booing him and B) why he was taken out of the lineup. LOL... both answers were something along the lines of 'Richie, you're hitting .200....'

And I agree with you, the Mariners will be better off. They have got to rebuild. Richie is dead weight right now.

He'd be a good fit in NY

A good fit in NY? He can't even handle the booing in Seattle. I can only imagine how he'd act when the Yankee fans tear him apart after his first 0 for the series (with a lot of strike outs).

A good fit in NY? He can't even handle the booing in Seattle. I can only imagine how he'd act when the Yankee fans tear him apart after his first 0 for the series (with a lot of strike outs).

i meant they need people who have power and people off the bench for 1st base and DH.

i wasn't talking how he'd handle it mentally.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

He'd be a good fit in NY with Matsui hurt, and now Damon, we could use another bat in our lineup.

Nice call CG. The ticker on ESPN2 today during the Jamie Farr Classic was reporting that Cashman stated that the Yankees were interested when Sexson clears waivers next week.

I think he will end up on the Giants. They were talking about trading for him earlier this year and now he is available for nothing. Or he could end up on my Dodgers and give Andruw a run for the worst batting average on the team. It seems like a Colletti move.

Exodus bag
R7 Dual Driver, R7 3w
CGB Rescue 3
CGB max 4-PW
CG11 Black Pearl 52* Vokey Spin Milled 56/14 CG11 Black Pearl 60* Black Series 1

What happened to the Mariners this year anyways? They were one of the hottest teams in the second half last year. With the addition of Bedard and Silva, I think everyone thought they would win the west. Its too bad because the Mariners have some of the best fans. Its such a huge fan base, from Oregon to Idaho to Alaska, they are all very passionate about their Ms.

Exodus bag
R7 Dual Driver, R7 3w
CGB Rescue 3
CGB max 4-PW
CG11 Black Pearl 52* Vokey Spin Milled 56/14 CG11 Black Pearl 60* Black Series 1

What happened to the Mariners this year anyways? They were one of the hottest teams in the second half last year. With the addition of Bedard and Silva, I think everyone thought they would win the west. Its too bad because the Mariners have some of the best fans. Its such a huge fan base, from Oregon to Idaho to Alaska, they are all very passionate about their Ms.

Very, very bad management. Which led to very, very bad team dynamics. And Erik Bedard is looking (so far) like a wuss/complainer.

Huge payroll (for a mid-market), and predicted to win (or at least contend) for the West. There was no reason, on paper, for them not to contend. I think they will test their minor leaguers for the rest of the season, test to see if Jim Riggleman is the right man for the future (I don't know why, but I have a feeling that he is a good fit for the M's - maybe b/c he's not a "nice guy" like Melvin and Maclaren, but also not a yeller like Pinella. I thought it was a very good sign when he benched Sexson for poor play, and then fired him for bad attitude), and will come back strong next year.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention the attitude. Good call. I was watching ESPN and they were talking about this and said how last year on two separate occasions he approached the manager to ask him, A) why the fans were booing him and B) why he was taken out of the lineup. LOL... both answers were something along the lines of 'Richie, you're hitting .200....'

Wow, is that a bad attitude or just plain stupid? The White Sox could use a first baseman and they love paying nothing for players, even if that player will give them nothing in return.
Drive for show, putt for dough

PutterKarsten Anser2
WedgesX-Forged 52* 58*IronsX-20 tours P-3HybridX 21 stiff4-wood R9 17 mitsubishi rayon fubuki StiffDriver R9 11.5 mitsubishi rayon fubuki Stiff

It didnt make sense to me when Hargrove resigned, but im assuming it was for personal reasons. Although it could of been Bavasi pushing him out.

It had to hurt losing Jones and Sherrill when Bedard has been a complete weiny. But im sure you guys will restock with prospects if they trade Ibanez and Beltre. Plus Clement should be up soon to take over the first base job.

Exodus bag
R7 Dual Driver, R7 3w
CGB Rescue 3
CGB max 4-PW

One team no one has mentioned is the D-Backs. They could use some power. Though Sexon already left them in free agency prior to 05. Not that it matters much. Platoon him at first against lefties and any team would be set. I think his OPS is above 1.000 against southpaws.

I heard the D Backs were one of the teams now that Byrnes is out.

Exodus bag
R7 Dual Driver, R7 3w
CGB Rescue 3
CGB max 4-PW

Note: This thread is 5758 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!