IGNORED

1 Iron Golf Clubs

Note: This thread is 2795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Have spoken with David Lake and he has sent me the playability tips, plus details on how much I need to extend the clubs to match my wtf measurement.

Exceptionally good service for someone who did not even sell me the clubs in the first place, and who gains nothing for it.

David has answered every email I have sent within one day and has been more than helpful. Can't speak highly enough about the "very long after initial sales service". :dance:

Clubs will be off to get an additional 3/4" added to each and then will start in earnest.

Assuming I was doing pretty well with the undersized version, I am very optimistic about the next few weeks...but will only take them to the range for the first couple of weeks (probably 8 times or more) before stepping out on the course for real.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's pretty cool for David to do that. Doesn't surprise me. I could kind of tell by his other writings. Plus, if you really find his clubs improve your game (and I hope they do), he has another spokesman for SL irons. Kind of a grass roots thing. I really feel he thinks he's rediscovered a better way and is sharing. For those that don't want to try it, that's perfectly reasonable. It is a "somewhat" radical idea. But if you really think about it, it makes perfect sense. And really works. BTW, his website has all kinds of well written informative articles. I've found they've helped. Not just tips, but an overall approach to the game. I'd love to find a demo day somewhere that had 1irons. I will never buy anything without swinging it first (unless it's pretty inexpensive). I'd like to hit the new Tour version irons. My Pinhawk iron heads cost me $95. I already had the shafts, grips and other club building stuff. Pretty cheap experiment.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Third time at the range. Driver, even through it is an inch short is very very accurate. Had many drives carry over the 200m mark although in the section of the range I could not see exactly how far past they ran out. Got into a rhythm of just smacking them and they flew lovely. The 3 iron is still a peach...many hitting 175m carry and running out about 190m...again very straight. The 6 and 5 irons did not fly as far as I would have expected, but I have not used them before...so early days yet. The 8 and 9 irons were essentially the same as the ping g25s I already use, very consistent around 110m through 130m. Didn't have enough time to try the wedges so will have to wait on them....so far so good...or rather so far very good....:-)

Do you setup basically the same for each iron? Or do you think you play them like your Pings? I mentioned before that I had a foreign exchange teacher in 6th grade from Australia. I think the US teacher went to Alice Springs in the Northern Territory, or somewhere thereabouts in the middle of the Outback. Man, on the map, that looks isolated.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Pretty much the same swing and ball position. Against my better judgement I used them for pennants today. Hit the driver very well, but was giving away 6 shots. By 9 holes I was 6 down. Striking the ball well but distances were just a little different to I ended up hitting the bunkers instead of flying them. Lost 4&3 in the end but I did par 4 of the back nine and was regularly out driving the other guy. Also it was his course, so putting was a lottery as well. Probably took me 3-4 holes to get warmed up and used to the swing, and after that was very happy. Still no 3 wood so wil have to order one, but I would assume that it will probably be my worst round with them and that the swing will only get better with a little more time, and getting them to the correct length. And yes....Alice is on the middle of no where....in fact it's probably easier centre :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Finally all came together yesterday and I won my first pennants game with the new clubs.
Only missed 2 fairways all day, and nailed a 68m chip to 4 inches.

Very happy, and looking forward to receiving the 3 wood even more when it gets here in a week or so.

The only thing I am slightly struggling with is the GW and LW..which I actually did not need yesterday.
Touch is just not there yet, and I keep taking huge long divots when I practice (not so with the PW/SW which are fine).

Fairly soft winter ground though, so maybe this will iron out (pun intended) when the ground gets firmer in a few months time.
I took my Ping G25 3 wood in the bag and the couple of times when I needed it I actually left it there and took out the new 1-iron 3I instead.

Nailed it every time maybe 20m shorter than the 3W but bang on line and in the middle of the fairway, missing the green side bunkers and leaving an easy chip in.

The driver is really coming along as well...getting back up the distances I was getting previously with my G25 driver, but arrow straight.
Becoming a very. very happy golfer at the moment. Pennant finals this weekend, so we will see how I go there.

It was very satisfying to hit consistent good drives, one after another...and actually liked when I was a hole or two up not being longest (by a couple of meters) so I could drop a 3 iron just on the front edge...meaning he had to go for his second...he lost 4 balls on his own course pushing them into water this way.

On the final hole (as we were walking in), I drilled a tee shot about 220m and literally split the fairway, dead center. The other lad (already pretty demoralized), sliced his drive into the right trees about 190m...if you know the feeling of just being able to stand up and knock one out there, this is something I can really get used to :-)
Having a caddie for this comp has also made a huge difference (although not a player, she knows a good shot when she sees one), as I am getting good feedback on how I am hitting them. "That was awesome!" always seems to come out somewhere or other, and I'm in no position to argue :-)
Give me another month or so (we have 4 weeks of the club championship coming up) and I will be able to give a pretty detailed transitional post on the site.
The initial scoffs at the clubhouse are now starting to become "so, you are using what irons again"?
I have definitely found that the further I get through a round, the stronger my game becomes (as the consistency just ingrains a little more with each shot), and I finish really well.
The only very slight negative I can mention, is that I have not had many "buttery" feeling shots yet...but that is being really nit-picky. It might be the balls I am using...maybe just too much to ask after only 3 rounds...but the ball striking is superb.

So looking forward to this weeks game and really beginning to love this experience.

So…the Pennant final is over…we lost 5-2. A beautiful day in Perth for golf, and a good day had by all.

Unfortunately, you can’t win them all, and we did come up against a very strong team on the day.

I was one of two who fortunately managed to get a win (5&4). Played very solid golf tee to green. Managed 4 or 5 pars and generally it was just a solid round.

A few more observations over this week and last.

1/ If I really go after the driver, I tend to pull them left quite noticeably, which is telling me I am “spinning out” of the swing too early and am too quick with my hands (ie flipping them over).

When I smooth it out and aim for a target at maybe 12.30, 1 o’clock (ie slightly to the right side of the fairway) I get a very nice right sided shot that curves with a slight draw to the centre. After finding fairways a couple of times, I always seem to go for the big one. A couple did come off and rolled well over the 220/230m mark, but the other couple hit trees and I had to play out. Moral being if I play within my limits and smoothly it tends to go very well, but when I try to get all macho, I can and do custard-pie myself pretty quickly. On the up side I did not slice a ball all day…not one!

2/ Consistency of ball striking is up considerably, which means any bad shots (hitting heavy, the odd pull to the left) are pretty easy to critique. The same set up means it is always some kind of swing fault (too quick tempo, bad aim etc), and I have found the feedback easy to pick up on. It was a very steep up and down course, and I did pull a couple of the uphill one’s left, purely because I did not set up properly to account for the natural pull that you get. As the round progressed I struck the ball better and better. The last 6 holes were the best of the round, for two weeks running.

Not having a 3 wood at the moment (due to arrive tomorrow) has meant that I am always hitting a 3 iron for my second shot on long holes. I love this club, and have never had a 3 iron that I have enjoyed gaming, but this one is just so consistent. I did chunk the odd one, but they still ran out fairly long and gave me a PW or less in, so no biggie.

The GW that I could not hit at all last week is actually a peach (or it was yesterday). Really starting to work well after a couple of practice sessions at the range during the week (and some very good advice from David Lake at 1-iron golf). Struck the ball very nicely, but consciously tried not to over-hit it. A half swing and a nice rhythm has me hitting around the 60m (70yd-ish) mark pretty spot on. Anything around 40-60m was like target practice. I hit most pins within 10-15ft. I will admit I was thinking about dumping the GW/LW after last week’s round if my ball striking did not improve, but this no longer seems an issue.

Only had one bunker shot all day and got out to six feet. Missed the putt and bogeyed, but still halved the hole. The longer SW I am actually finding quite easy to use, as it does force me to swing through and not get too cute. I thought I would struggle a great deal with the length of the club, but seems to be just a psychological thing, and I have actually found it much easier to use than I expected.

Had around half a dozen “pure” shots during the round which felt just lovely. Buttery, straight and lovely to watch (felt a bit like a real golfer! )

I have been very conscious of how my ball flies/ends up in relation to the opposition, and I am not noticing anything distance related at all. I just seem to be in fairway more often and playing off the short stuff with a better lie. That is by far the biggest difference across the board. I only had to play a handful of shots from awkward lies, and all came out really nicely. Confidence levels are well up and I am not fearful of playing any club in the set.

Oddly, I am pretty confident about any of the clubs…it’s just become “how far is it?…that’s an XYZ iron”…pull it out of the bag, hit it…walk on…

I always used to have a favourite 7 iron…I don’t any more…they are all good, and the more games I play with them, the better I like them.

I have made believers out of some of my playing partners as well. I only have SL irons, not woods or driver. I find that id=f I keep my grip a little lighter and keep my arms less tense, I don't have a problem pulling the ball when I swing a little harder. Try it on the range. Keep the tension out of the swing with a slight pause at the top so you don't transition too quick. Generate your speed at the bottom of your swing, not at the top. it has been raining everyday for a couple of weeks here in Florida. Worst flooding I can remember in over 30 years. Haven't played in 3 weeks.

Thanks mate...will try it next time I'm down at the range.

It feels like there is not much more to work on, other than ingraining the swing some more.

I know the driver pulls are just me and my bad swing mechanics, and it should not take too many range sessions to sort it out.

I do transition too fast quite often, and will have to get used to the pause (still haven't quite got that either).

Really like the 1-iron driver, and will comment on the #3W when it arrives. These are not the same length as the irons. The driver is 43 inch. Not sure what the #3W will be , but am expecting a little shorter than that. The driver does feel "funny" when you first pick it up, a bit like a big fly swatter, but when you strike it it feels just lovely. Very solid (it doesn't go "ting!"...it goes "whack!")...nice :-)

A lot of high pressure games coming up including our club championships and club C grade match-play semi final, so both will test me and the clubs.

Looking forward to it. I have a few guys waiting to play in the same group to see the clubs, and another guy who plays Wishon's just said "of course, makes sense, why wouldn't you use them?".

• 2 weeks later...

Got to use the new 3 wood twice on my last round. First shot in anger was a 188m par 3, over a very large tree which sits in the middle of the fairway (you have to draw/fade/fly the tree to get anywhere close). Struck it sweetly, flew the tree and it dropped 175cm (5' 6") from the cup, pin-high left. Can't remember the last time I had even hit the green...missed the birdie putt, but tapped in and walked off a happy man needless to say...

All I have is the 5 - PW single length. I would like a 4 iron too, but I have a 4 hybrid that works well. I have Ping K-15 woods which I hit well. I'm looking at possibly a G-25 of G-30 next year. I hook the K-15 driver too much every now and then. I should sneak out this weekend, but I will probably be working. One last weekend, then it's golf season for real. Hope you play well in your tournaments. You call them pennants? never heard them referred to as that, but we speak funny English over here.

Pennants are just the name for when you have inter-club matchplay events once a year. The winning team gets a triangular flag presented (the Pennant).

It only happens once a year...all of the other tournaments are just tournaments....

:-)

On the golf course, I'm usually seeking penance.

Hopefully you will have the weather to get out this week...was 26 deg c here yesterday....just beautiful...apart from losing my match play semi final on the first play off hole it was a fine day. Pretty average first 9, but was never up or down by more than a hole all day. A good tussle. It feels like spring may be starting so keeping the fingers crossed. Had the same 3 wood shot to the 190m par 3 over the tree. Nailed it again but ran off the back of the green by a couple of feet. Still parred it, so pretty happy with that club. Driver is coming along nicely. Still had 2 duck- hooks but the rest were good, long and straight. Ball striking is definitely the best I've ever had. It was the very short game and putting let me down sometimes. We live and learn don't we.......? :-)

26 deg C = 79 deg F. Perfect golf weather. I will be out next weekend for sure even if there is a hurricane. Knock on wood.

Hi Vangator, Very pleased to say that I shot my equal best round ever yesterday. Tee to green was very consistent. Putting let me down big time...had six putts from under four feet and left them all within 6" but none of them dropped. Ball striking again is just a revelation...all of my playing partners agreed this is the best I have ever hit a ball, and I have been a club member for almost 5 years. I finish a round and just can't wait to get out again. I shot a nett 72, nothing to really write home about for anyone normally, but was the second round of the club champs, so was under a bit of pressure. Can't speak highly enough about these clubs...Only could wish that more people would step out of the stereotype and give them clubs a try...they are truly awesome and as the saying goes...."a game changer"! Hopefully the weather was good enough for you to get out and have a hit

Note: This thread is 2795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!