IGNORED

MP 30 verus 2004 Big Bertha

Note: This thread is 6525 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have the opportunity to buy either of these irons sets for the same price. I have my own opinion on which ones I should buy but I'll give you all a bit of background first.

I've been hitting a set of Powerbilt ladies cavity backs since last year. They are good clubs, easy to hit and I almost always hit the ball where I want to with good explosion off of the club face. Working with my boyfriend and a few pros, we've determined that I should be hitting at least a men's senior flex if not a regular flex. My swing speed is 85-90 mph. After taking a break from my driver, I have started hitting it again and probably need a new shaft because the men's lite that is in it is too whippy. I have also found that as my swing improves, my irons feel noodley. So, I have been looking for new clubs.

My handicap remains high because of my play in and around the green. If I hit the green in reg, I am almost guaranteed a birdie or par (except for a few three putts). If I miss the green, it's definitely bogey (if I'm lucky) or worse. I have been working on this and it is seeming to get better. My typically round consists of quite a few solid holes and a few blow up holes. For example, last night I played nine, I had par on 5 holes, a triple bogey, two double bogeys and one bogey (3 putt!). That is a typically round for me...no ability to recover...yet. Anyway, I am very happy with my ball striking and feel that I may have outgrown the clubs I have.

Now to the issue at hand. I haven't yet tried these two sets (darn rain!) but I will be taking them to the range in the next week or so. I have hit the MP 60 irons inside and they felt great. They definitely gave me more feeback than my current clubs but I was happy with the ball striking. When I tried the 2006 Berthas, everything felt good. But I wonder if I may be limiting my game by going with the Callaways. I have just started learning about working the ball. The huge bounce on the Berthas seems to hinder your ability to work the ball because they are not designed to let the leading edge dig in. I know that the forged irons will be more difficult to hit pure each time initially but I will be able to work the ball better.

So in the long run, which clubs would you recommend? Should I compromise a bit of difficulty in hitting the forged irons for a better long-term club?

I think what you're looking at may be at the opposite ends of the spectrum. Instead of making it harder on yourself by going with forged clubs and losing the feel and workability by going with the Bertha's, I suggest you perhaps keep looking and find a happier medium. Say, perhaps, something that'll give you a bit of workability, etc but won't require you to hit a sweet spot the size of a toothpick.
In My Bag:
Driver: Titleist 983K 9.5°, Harmon HTD CB-65R
3-Wood: Mizuno MP-001, 13°, Harrison Striper Titanium
Hybrid 1: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 16°
Hybrid 2: TaylorMade Rescue Mid TP, 19°Irons: Ping S59 Tour 4-PWWedges: Mizuno Black Nickel 51.06 / Cleveland Black Pearl 58.08Putter:...

There are two similar topics on that.

Topic 1
Are "game improvement" irons counterproductive?

Topic 2
Are your irons better than you?

Some people think it's best to play with clubs better than your current game to help you focus, get feedback, etc. Others feel it's best to have some forgiveness at the sacrafice of feedback and workability.

Ultimately you have to be realistic with your ability, goals, time to practice, etc. Then from there you can make a sound decision. Best of luck and have fun in your search!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think what you're looking at may be at the opposite ends of the spectrum. Instead of making it harder on yourself by going with forged clubs and losing the feel and workability by going with the Bertha's, I suggest you perhaps keep looking and find a happier medium. Say, perhaps, something that'll give you a bit of workability, etc but won't require you to hit a sweet spot the size of a toothpick.

Yup, take the happy medium and get some X-18's. They're good enough for Annika (and I like 'em too). But I've said it before on here, I went from a 12hcp to a 2 hcp my first two years of college playing Original Big Bertha irons, so there's nothing about the world's friendliest irons that will prevent you from improving. The flip side, of course, is if you like the way the forged irons feel, then by all means use them - the Bertha's will give you zero feedback and are more challenging to work, but they will hit the ball consistently farther and straighter. The bottom line is do what you think will make you happy when you're playing.

In my bag:
Driver - 905T, 9.5* UST V2 75 s
Fairway - X Tour 15*, Fuji TP 26.3 x
Hybrid - Rescue Dual TP, 16* Diamana Rayon x
Irons - 4-pw X-18 PS Rifle 6.5Wedges - MpT BNi, 51.08, 56.13, 60.10Putter(s) - Puku BellyBall - Bridgestone Tour B330-S

I'm playing some of the best golf of my life right now..after switiching from Mizuno MP-32's to Callaway X-14's PS. Of course I have given up the mizuno feel and have gotten used to the thuddier feel of the cally's..but it's nice to have a sweetspot the size of a marshmellow than a dime.

I can't cut the ball as easily as I could with the MP 32's..I guess it's like going from a sports car to a sports utility..it'll get there in the long run..just not as crisp around the corners.

Note: This thread is 6525 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!