IGNORED

Help for buying irons

scarsaint
Note: This thread is 5321 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

im looking for some input. I'm going to be buying my first set of new irons this winter, and have had my eye on the victory reds. I'm currently playing tommy armour 845m I bought them second hand and they are pretty beat up. Ball striking is the best part of my game (we won't talk about putting ) and im looking for something that will be better for working the ball. Wondering if im on the right track or if I should be considering another set. Thanks for any advice

Victory Reds are awesome! Probably the best looking irons I've seen (the full and split cavity...I'm not a fan of the TW logo on the blades)

I like the full cavity backs...I'm not so great with the split cavity or blades...which ones did you have in mind?

Also the Ping G15s are excellent...haven't tried the i15s...might be worth giving them a try...

Heard a lot about the Titleist AP1s and AP2s...they look amazing too!

Not a big fan of mizuno irons...but pretty much their entire range got the Gold Medal on the Hot List 2009...try 'em out too?!

im looking for some input. I'm going to be buying my first set of new irons this winter, and have had my eye on the victory reds. I'm currently playing tommy armour 845m I bought them second hand and they are pretty beat up. Ball striking is the best part of my game (we won't talk about putting ) and im looking for something that will be better for working the ball. Wondering if im on the right track or if I should be considering another set. Thanks for any advice

I put my order in for a VR combo set last Friday, and I cannot wait until they're delivered. Which of the VRs are you planning on getting, the blades, the forged split cavities, or the full cavities?

I'll put it to you like this - you're on the right track, the VRs have been regarded among the best irons of 2009, but it all comes down to what works the best for you. If you're set on these, don't let anyone talk you out of them, as they are a quality set. If you're still trying to decide what you really want, you should try and hit as many different irons as you can before you make your purchase, as something else may jump out at you.

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

I put my order in for a VR combo set last Friday, and I cannot wait until they're delivered. Which of the VRs are you planning on getting, the blades, the forged split cavities, or the full cavities?

I agree...don't let anyone put you off Nike irons...they're awesome! Even the slingshots and sumos. Although as a 13 handicapper the VRs may be better.

Which leads me to asking: Control Junkie, did you try the Sumos (or even the Slingshots)? What did you think of them? I'm a high-handicapper and found the Sumos more forgiving and a more suitable iron. The VR cavity backs seemed closer to an X-22 kinda iron (GI), whereas the Sumo were more Big Bertha league (SGI).

I agree...don't let anyone put you off Nike irons...they're awesome! Even the slingshots and sumos. Although as a 13 handicapper the VRs may be better.

Depends on what Slingshots you're talking about

I have the Slingshot OSS, and they're ok. I never hit the Slingshot HLs or 4Ds, except for the HL 3 hybrid. My dad has the Sumos, and I've hit those a few times. The Slingshot OSS is extremely forgiving, and at first I liked them, but now I'm just kinda over them. For a beginner, they're great. The Sumos were kinda middle of the road for me. I didnt like them or dislike them, they were just... I dunno.. meh ... All 3 VRs really wowed me though. After I hit them, I pretty much had to have them. Don't get me wrong, I hit a few different Mizzys, a few different Pings, and some Callaway X-22s, and all of them were great. I was just sold on the Victory Reds. How much do you play/practice? The reason I ask is because if you play a lot, I'd say get something that you can grow into. If you play a lot, and want something that you'll be happy with for a while, I'd say go with the VR Full Cavs.

-  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

How much do you play/practice? The reason I ask is because if you play a lot, I'd say get something that you can grow into. If you play a lot, and want something that you'll be happy with for a while, I'd say go with the VR Full Cavs.

I hit the range for 2-3 hours a week.

Play the course once a month - play more frequently during the summer, maybe every week/2weeks. Prof. Instruction once a month. I hit the range frequently to get accustomed to the swing change. I'm still a high-handicapper...have trouble with the long irons, so I think I will stick with the Sumos until I can at least confidently hit the 4 hybrid, 5 and 6 irons with good distance & accuracy. I will only change the hybrids/irons when I can achieve consistent ball striking with them. Not sure how long it will take to achieve that... p.s. How come you opted for the regular Dymo driver and 3-wood, as opposed to the Dymo2, and why the low lofted driver? Especially with 36 handicap. Which part of your game is suffering to cause that? My long game is what's majorly suffering...

I hit the range for 2-3 hours a week.

Sorry, never updated my handicap

I need to do that... Anyway, I wanted the extra bit of workability in the round head, though I have always wondered exactly how much less workable the Dymo² would be for me, and if it's something I'd truly notice or not. Either way, I love my Dymo Str8-Fit and the AXIVCore Blue shaft in it, it just launches a little high for me. Believe it or not, to try and compensate for that, I actually have it set right now to 2° open, at 7.5° loft. Generally, my driving is one of my stronger points, and I've been able to keep from going right for a little while, so having it open it hasnt really been a problem for me, except that I cant really draw the ball very well with it like that. Now that I've dropped the money on my new irons, a lower launching shaft (most likely AXIVCore Tour Red 69) for the Dymo Str8 is next in line, and at that point, I'll probably end up putting it back to square at 9.5° loft. Much more of an answer than you were probably looking for, wasnt it??

-  -  - 

the blades are the ones im after havent had the chance to hit them yet ive just played basketball my whole life and the brand loyalty has now crossed over ive liked every piece of nike equipment ive used just seemed to makes sense to me

If you're looking at the full set of blades, make sure you try all of the irons first. I only went 8-PW in the blade, long irons in the full cavity, and mid-irons in the split cavity. I'm not that much of a masochist

Not doubting your abilities or anything here, just throwing it out there, ya know what I mean??

-  -  - 

Sorry, never updated my handicap

All good! I like the mixed set of irons...v.good idea!! Something I'll keep in mind if/when I grow out of my current set!

I say "if" because I've got friends who shoot in the 70s and 80s and still use GI and SGI clubs! I've read a lot of people here with low handicaps still game their G-range Ping irons! Let's get to that handicap first...and then see huh?!

All good! I like the mixed set of irons...v.good idea!! Something I'll keep in mind if/when I grow out of my current set!

Yeah, there are a ton of people that do great with GI and SGI irons, it's all a matter of what works, and what you have confidence in! There's a lot of great options that fall into that category!

-  -  - 

More than anything I would reccomend some forged irons. What irons is up to your preference, pretty much any manufacturer's irons can be "your best" I'm currently a fan of Mizuno Irons and probably will soon replace my beloved G10s with a set of Mizunos.

G15 10.5 Driver
G15 17 Wood
G10 24 Hybrid
G10 6-PW Irons
52, 56, 60, and 64 degree wedges Detour Newport 2 DT SoLo BallSwing Speed: 111 MPH, wish I could putt.

I'm like that with brand loyalty as well. From baseball and football though there isn't a lot of crossover into golf brands other than clothing and shoes, and the expression "taylormade double plays." Ha, actually taylormade may be my favorite brand now that I think about it, I am swinging r7's afterall.. interesting how that works.

Note: This thread is 5321 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!