IGNORED

Golf ball question

Note: This thread is 5119 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I started playing the Callaway I series ball last season with decent results. The thing I hate about the ball is the feel. I cant get over how sweet a Pro-V1 feels.

So. For all you ball junkies. Is there another brand comparable to the Pro-V1 that offers similar performance and a soft feel?

Thanks.

G10 Driver Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 65 Stiff
G5 3-Wood Aldila NV65-Stiff
G15 20 Hybrid TFC stiff
I15 Irons 4-P
S/M Black Nickel 52 56 60 Marxman Mini 33" Tour B330 RXCarroll Valley Resort, Fairfield PA Rating: 72.3 Slope: 128www.carrollvalley.com

I play the Calloway tour ix and it feels like the ProV1 to me. Not really cheaper though. Bottom line, there are several ball companies making progress to compete with the Pro V1, but the price point is within $3-4/dozen of the ProV1, so why change?
Driver: Cobra ZL 3 Wood: Cleveland Launcher War Club: Burner Titanium Raylor 21degree Hybrid: Bobby Jones 24 4-PW: Ping i3's Wedges:Mizuno MP T-10 White Satin 52, 56, 60 Putter: 15 year old Odyssey Rossi Blade. Ball: Bridgestone e5 Swing Oil: Grey Goose, always in the bag.

Here are three options to consider. I've found all three to be a bit softer than the ProV1, but also have a urethane cover and comparable greenside control:

Wilson FG Tour
Maxfli Tour
Maxfli Tour LC

The LC is said to be for a slightly slower swing speed than the Tour, but I found a negligible difference in distance, chipping, and putting.

Good luck.

TW

What you perceive as feel, I'm wondering - is it a mental "feel" - like an emotional attachment – or a physical "feel".
I'm pretty sure the Pro V1 is still the "number one ball in golf", but the Callaway Tour i (s) is pretty sweet. As is the Penta TP - in my opinion. They all feel very similar.

2010 winners and their ball (sponsors)
Ogilvy - Titleist Pro V1
Palmer - Titleist Pro V1
B. Haas - Titleist Pro V1
B. Crane - Titleist Pro V1x
S. Stricker - (formerly Pro V1) now: Srixon
D. Johnson - TaylorMade Penta TP
I. Poulter - Titleist Pro V1x
C. Beckman - Callaway Tour i (s)
H. Mayhan - Titleist Pro V1x
C. Villegas - Titleist Pro V1
E. Els - Callaway Tour i (s) - two wins in 2010
D. Lamely - Callaway Tour i (s)
J. Furyk - Srixon - two wins in 2010
A. Kim - Nike One Tour
P. Mickelson - Callaway Tour i (s)

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

I am surprised not to see a Bridgestone ball up there.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

The Nike tour is the softest ball I have ever played, I switch between these and Pro v1's

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

I love the pro-v1, but the only ball I love better is the srixon Z-star. It feels and prefroms the same (in my opinion) however I find the cover on the Z-star is much more durable, and is rather hard to scuff.
Driver: Titleist 909 D2 (VooDoo shaft)
Woods: Titleist 909 D3 (15 deg, VooDoo shaft)
Hybrids: Mizuno MX700 (20 deg)
Irons: Titleist ZB (4-pw)
Wedge:
Titleist Vokey 52°, 56°, 60°Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select NewportPutter Cover: Scotty Cameron 2009 Cupid Dog -WhiteBalls: Srixon Z-Star

Bridgestone B330-RX S......hands down
and i am a huge fan of the pro v1

penta is also very impressive
"My swing is homemade - but I have perfect flaws!" - Me

Unless Steve Stricker switched balls today, he's still playing the ProV1

MY BAD!

Good catch. My copy paste skills were clouded by the drink... Stricker's a Pro V1 guy for sure.

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

Try the MG Tour C4. Most like a Pro V than any other ball but half the price. http://www.mastergrip.com/misc.asp?r...hopping=&f;=#C4

Driver: Titleist 907D2 9.5 Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Pro Black 18*
Irons: Mizuno MP60 (4-PW)
Wedges: Vokey SM 50/54/58/62
Putter: Yes! CallieBall: TM PentaHome course: DeBell Golf Club http://www.debellgolf.com/

Thanks for thr responses guys. Don't get me wrong about the Callaway, it is a terrific ball. If you have an opportunity to chip with a Callaway I-series and then the Pro-V1, there is a noticeable difference in feel to me. The Pro-V1 is much softer.

I belive I'll give the B330 a try next time out. I've heard some good reviews of the ball.

G10 Driver Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 65 Stiff
G5 3-Wood Aldila NV65-Stiff
G15 20 Hybrid TFC stiff
I15 Irons 4-P
S/M Black Nickel 52 56 60 Marxman Mini 33" Tour B330 RXCarroll Valley Resort, Fairfield PA Rating: 72.3 Slope: 128www.carrollvalley.com

Note: This thread is 5119 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!