IGNORED

When did you start Golf?

Steven McFarlane
Note: This thread is 4919 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. When Did you Start

• Kid 0-12
    • Teenager 13-16
    • Young Adult- 17-19
    • Adult 20+

I started working at as a greenscrew member ata private course in 2004. I didnt start golfing till 2006 when I got an old pair of clubs from my boss. An ex French Open winner JP Jones (you can look it up if you want). They were ona his old friends clubs. I started hacking it up around the course with my friends until one day(2 years later) my dad+his freinds asked me to join them in a scramble in a month. Because of this I bought a driver and literally spent every day of the next month at the range. I Showed up to the scrambe and won longest drive and our team came in second using basically all of my drives. After taht first scramble I got addicted. Now im a 20 hcp and I love the game.
 Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been playing 5 years (started at age 40) and am an 11 handicap. I enjoy this game so much I turned down a promotional opportunity because it would have interfered with my Saturday 4 some.

Cleveland Classic XL 10.5 Rombax 6X07
Titleist 904F Aldila NV
Nickent 3DX hybrid

MX-25 irons & MP-R wedges

Odyssey #5

Leopold GX1/Skycaddie SG5

Sun Mountain Hybrid Bag

Been playing on and off since I was about 15 (20 now), got into the sport as a caddy since Mondays were free....got a starter set of Wilson Rx Tour clubs that I'm just now finally getting around to replacing...around a 15 handicap (not exact).

I'm taking the game alot more seriously now, definitely going to be playing well into November then planning on picking it back up once March rolls around.

Waiting out the 2 feet of snow that just dropped on the course....

I took up golf when I was 25 (48 now), started playing when a bunch of other golfers at work talked me into it. Started off playing an old set of Tommy Armour blades I bought from a garage sale - probably the worst possible choice for a brand new golfer, but I didn't know any better! I've played on and off ever since, but never really taken it seriously as far as improving my game, so I've stayed at an (unofficial) handicap of 20-25 the entire time. I love the game and have always felt that a bad day on the course is better than the best day at work. I've recently decided that it's time to step up and stop sucking at golf, so my plan is to take some lessons and work my butt off this winter, and emerge in the spring with a whole new game. No illusions of becoming an overnight scratch golfer, but I'd at least like to get to the point where I can somewhat consistently shoot in the high 80's/low 90's by next spring.

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I started in late July 2010. Just bought some clubs without taking a swing in the store because I didn't have a swing. Took a 1/2 hour lesson then signed up for 5 1 hour lessons. Played and practiced at a 9 hole course 5 times. I did not make the 5th lesson because of motorcycle head on crash with truck. I lost that battle. Three weeks later some asswipe rear ends me and totals the car out. Chalk up another in the loss column. It was fun in those 3 weeks of learning the game. My handicap right now is I can't swing a club at all.

Driver:  :nike:  Vapor Pro 9.5°  Wood & Hybrids : :nike:Covert Tour 13°, 18° & 21°
Irons & Wedges:
  :nike:  Covert 2.0  5i - AW,  :titleist:   56-14F,  60-07S
Putter:     :titleist:Newport Select
Balls:  :bridgestone: B330-RX

My Dad used to take me out to Harding Park in San Francisco when I was about 7 years old to hit the ball around with him, that was in 1964. At 13, I started caddying at a local private course and we were able to play the course after hours and on Mondays so that's when I really got hooked on the game. I bought my very first set from the money I made caddying and they were a used set of PGA's with aluminum shafts.....You want to try a hard club to hit, try something with aluminum shafts LOL
I got very serious about the game in 1994 and was playing at least 3 times a week and practicing just about every day. I even set up a chipping "course" in the back yard with coffee cans so I could practice chipping every day. In 1996 I started an online golf business and then in 1998 I started playing on a very mini mini tour that lasted until I won a couple of tournaments and bought an old hot rod jet boat in 2000. I played intermittently until May of 2001 when I hung the clubs up and haven't played a full round of golf since. My index when I stopped playing was 2.6 with a low of 1.4 the year before. In essence, I was living and breathing golf and just flat got burned out on it.
I really have no idea what my handicap would be right now so the handicap in my profile is just a guess.
In actuality, if the owner of the building I'm remodeling hadn't entered himself and I in a tournament, I wouldn't be here. He has sparked the flame in me to get out and play again so here I am.
I'm 53 now so I've been playing off and on for 40 years....now that just made me feel old!

Steve

I never picked up a golf club until March 2009 and I'm 25 years old, since then I've been hooked. I don't have a proper index, but I keep a running average of scores that is about a 23 right now. I spend at least 4 days a week at the golf course, even though I'm in school full time and work roughly 30 hours a week. So I basically spend all my free time there. I played 3 18 hole rounds last week at three different courses.

I started when I was about 7 or 8. Played off and on through my teens and shot mid 80's to mid 90's, but really spent my time surfing and skateboarding. I thought golf was for old guys.
My first lessons as a kid were from John Anselmo (tiger's first teacher) in Bakersfield, Ca in about '68. He was married to a friend of my mom's. I guess he said I was a natural, according to my folks.
My thoughts on the sport? It's a game, not a sport. I love the competition, but more the mental aspect and the fact you are really playing against the course more than another person.
I wish that I had been a little more interested in it when I was younger, since I've noticed a pattern in my life of enjoying individual athletic activities more than team sports.
Surfing, skateboarding, snowboarding, and hiking have always been at the top of the list of things I most enjoy.
I started getting serious about the game in my early 30s as the surf was getting too crowded, and I finally had good income. I also found the game allowed me to become closer to my Dad and spend some quality time with him after all our contentious years due to my wild and misspent youth.
BTW my current index is 7.8 and I usually shoot between 77-82 pretty consistently. I'm a certified addict now.

WITB
Titleist 910 D3 Motore F3
Ping G15 4wd TFC
Adams A12 20* RIP'd VS Proto, Adams CB2 Forged 4-GW DGSL S300 Scratch 8620 54* and 58*

Mizuno Bettinardi BC4 TaylormadeTP Red/ Wilson Staff FG tour

I started 2009 in june, My dad and I decided to start playing. I was off 24 then and now 16 months later im off +.8 :)

Driver: 909D3 8.5* Diamana White Board X
3 Wood: MP 630 15* GRAFALLOY PROLAUNCH RED X
Hybrid: 909H 19* "Real" VooDoo X
3 - P: MP-68 KBS Tour Black Nickel X
56* 10 Wedge Vr60* 06 Wedge: VrPutter: Custom Made.Golf Ball: TOUR B330SI am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was....

Note: This thread is 4919 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!