IGNORED

Skycaddie SGX vs SGXW

Note: This thread is 4102 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I want to buy one of these.  I will spend the extra $100 on the SGXW if the added features are worth it.

From what I can tell you get wifi connectivity and a little added information on each hole.  Arched lines pointing out important distances?  Am I missing something??

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

Well since no one seemed to know I thought I would add to the common good and explain what I found.

1.) The SGX w is wifi capable, that is what the W is for.  I uploaded 2 courses this morning via wifi and it took less then a minute each.

2.) The cursor button on the W version is not mechanical.  It takes a light touch and does not push to select.  You have to hit another button to select.  I have used a friends with the mechanical button and my first impression is I would like the mechanical button.  Simpler to use and more positive in its movements.  SC says the new button works with a glove?  So does the old one, I don't get it.

3.) The new software has what they call range view.  Lines in arcs across the fairway or green at the appropriate distances.  That is helpful but it is odd that it can't be on both units.

I am blessed with some financial freedom so I went for the W unit.  Value wise it is questionable.  The wifi feature can be nice.  You can also sync your scores and stats to their websites via wifi and run reports on the information to be viewed on their website..  That can be helpful, but I will reserve judgment on that.

I have only played 2 rounds with it so I don't have a review right now.  As I get more time with it I will report back.  I tend to get the most out of these things so I will run it through its paces.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 months later...
Any new thoughts as to whether or not the wireless feature is worth the higher price? Also, do you still wish that you had the mechanical button that doesn't require the use of a separate button to select? How is the battery life and screen resolution in sunlight? I appreciate your help!

• 3 weeks later...

I think the wifi function is a no brainer- Worth the money-

Example- I was in Phoenix playing this winter and had all the course on my SG3 loaded that I knew we were going to play. After one 18 we decided we did not like the course so we called our golf vacation company(booked all our golf) and he quickly got us on another nicer course. Now I would not be able to use my sky caddie as I would need my laptop to update it. With the SGXw I could have popped into any or Starbucks or similar and quickly downloaded the course we were going to play.

For me it is worth it to not have to travel with the laptop and stick with Ipad.

I still use a laser for most pin shootings but the skycaddie is nice for layup and carry yardages on new courses. I use both!

DR

In the bag-

Driver- Ping Anser 9.5  Diamana Ahina
3 Wood-RBZ tour 15
Hybrid-RBZ tour 4 Irons-  Ping I20s 4-GW with soft stepped X100sWedges 58 and 54 SM4s with soft stepped X100s Putter- Ping TR Senita

• 2 months later...
Originally Posted by granitegolf

I think the wifi function is a no brainer- Worth the money-

Example- I was in Phoenix playing this winter and had all the course on my SG3 loaded that I knew we were going to play. After one 18 we decided we did not like the course so we called our golf vacation company(booked all our golf) and he quickly got us on another nicer course. Now I would not be able to use my sky caddie as I would need my laptop to update it. With the SGXw I could have popped into any or Starbucks or similar and quickly downloaded the course we were going to play.

For me it is worth it to not have to travel with the laptop and stick with Ipad.

I still use a laser for most pin shootings but the skycaddie is nice for layup and carry yardages on new courses. I use both!

DR

how does the sgxw handle open wifi's that require you to accept a terms of service within a browser?   most places require that.  i know my phone can't sync its mail via a wifi unless i goto its web browser first and confirm the terms of service.

i do like the range view feature, it makes it seem helpful, but perhaps for par 5s only?  doesn't the sgx give you a layup location on drives?

i'm torn as i want the most recent sgxw, but i see refurbished sgx's on ebay for about $120.

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

Originally Posted by ejimsmith

how does the sgxw handle open wifi's that require you to accept a terms of service within a browser?   most places require that.  i know my phone can't sync its mail via a wifi unless i goto its web browser first and confirm the terms of service.

i do like the range view feature, it makes it seem helpful, but perhaps for par 5s only?  doesn't the sgx give you a layup location on drives?

i'm torn as i want the most recent sgxw, but i see refurbished sgx's on ebay for about $120.

This a good point- it will not connect to wifi what required you to go to your browser to confirm the terms of service. You have to find wifi that is open or just requires a password. Not that hard to find but with a little planning ahead the W may not be worth the $$$$ if you can find used Sgx's for 120.

In the bag-

Driver- Ping Anser 9.5  Diamana Ahina
3 Wood-RBZ tour 15
Hybrid-RBZ tour 4 Irons-  Ping I20s 4-GW with soft stepped X100sWedges 58 and 54 SM4s with soft stepped X100s Putter- Ping TR Senita

Originally Posted by granitegolf

This a good point- it will not connect to wifi what required you to go to your browser to confirm the terms of service. You have to find wifi that is open or just requires a password. Not that hard to find but with a little planning ahead the W may not be worth the $$$$ if you can find used Sgx's for 120.

thanks very much for the good info, i got a refusbished sgx on ebay for $112 (plus $9 shipping, $9 tax, thank you very much you a-hole gov. brown!).

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

• 1 month later...

I had one of the new SGXw delivered to me yesterday.. I figured it would solve a few problems for me.. pre loaded with courses.. wireless updating.. I would not have to worry about dragging a laptop with me to MB that I can use for updating.. I have an SG5 now that works fine.. but then there is the loading in and out of courses & so on.. My new road computer is a nice thin Windows Surface that runs Windows RT.. It works well.. but you can't load and it won't accept any 3rd party software on it so that rules out the Skycaddie..

Bottom line, the new SGXw doesn't work at all.. It found my in home wireless network fine.. but you have to plug it in with a USB connection to register it.. software and drivers were installed (that's pretty normal) when I plugged it in.. to both my XP net book and my Vista desktop.. but that's as far as I got.. The syncing software could not find it on either computer.. it was not listed as a drive or being connected on either machine.. so that's it.. If a company sends something out the door that won't work.. it's returned.. I won't wrestle with it.. so I am simply placing a warning on all the forums I know.,. as a warning.. save your $350.. I'll stick with my SG5 that works just fine.. I have no interest in other GPS units as I like the skycaddie on course measuring system and have seen frequent errors on others that get their measurements form Google maps and so on.. My skycaddie measurements always agree with my laser readings (I carry one of those as well & they each have their good use) and others don't..

Note: This thread is 4102 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!