• Announcements

• iacas

Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
spkgolfer

cleveland 588 chrome wedge or cg 16 black pearl

5 posts in this topic

guys i want to buy myself a 52 degree wedge and i am confused between cleveland 558 chrome wedge and cg 16 black pearl..and also recommend me what should be the ideal bounce for a 52 degree wedge

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

The CG16 is a cavity-back wedge, more game improvement, while the 588 is more muscleback, toward a player's club. With  a 6 HDCP you could go with whichever one felt best.

We'll talk about both the 50* and 52* GWs. The CG16 comes with 10* bounce for both lofts, while the Cle 588 comes with 8* bounce for both lofts. Which one is best for you? This depends on your swing, and normal course conditions.

Club designer Ralph Maltby discusses wedges and bounce in this link: http://ralphmaltby.com/50

Among other things, he addresses the difference between rated bounce and effective bounce .

I have the CG15 (similar to the CG 16) GW and a 588 SW.  The feel of the 588 is much better for my short game, and I use my SW frequently around the green.  I preferred the CG15 for my GW which is primarily only used for approach shots.  Really I could have went either way with my GW, but the CG15 was significantly cheaper so I went that way instead.

My only advice is the black pearl finish wears easily if you play in sandy or coarse soils. The very first time I hit my CG15 62* BP I had scratches through the finish down to the silver underneath. I thought it may be a distraction it but hasn't bothered me looking down at the face. I've had my wedges about 2 months and the bottom of the BP's are pretty scuffed up. Though I saw it coming, I bought the chrome for my 56 (SW).

Awards and Achievements

Cleveland's satin finish will wear the best.