Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Osgoode3

Advice needed moving for 4 months for winter

5 posts in this topic

Could use help we are planning to semi retire in the Arizona area next year can anyone steer us in the right direction as to where to play and live.

Need a 2 bedroom villa nice safe area preferably in golf course community.

Want to play from Dec to April 4 months

Need golf courses that have very active leagues  or groups i would rather  play an average golf course daily if membership and events were very strong looking to be able to join in as many groups as possible. We are looking for a very social membership

Completely open to anywhere in Arizona just do not want to be cold anymore ?? from Canada

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

If you currently play at a course where the leagues and events are very strong please let me know the name so i can research rental rates.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Chandler/Mesa area of Phoenix is nice.  Scottsdale is too expensive. Don't know about the west side of town (Peoria), but it is/was growing like crazy before the bubble.

North Tucson is nice.  Also, several smaller towns between Tucson and the border (Green Valley?) had lots of courses.  Kind of remote, though.

Sonora is beautiful, but maybe too expensive as well. Also, it does get some cold weather in the winter.

Originally Posted by Osgoode3

Could use help we are planning to semi retire in the Arizona area next year can anyone steer us in the right direction as to where to play and live.

Need a 2 bedroom villa nice safe area preferably in golf course community.

Want to play from Dec to April 4 months

Need golf courses that have very active leagues  or groups i would rather  play an average golf course daily if membership and events were very strong looking to be able to join in as many groups as possible. We are looking for a very social membership

Completely open to anywhere in Arizona just do not want to be cold anymore ?? from Canada

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

If you currently play at a course where the leagues and events are very strong please let me know the name so i can research rental rates.

Osgood,

I live in Phoenix and before that was in Tucson for 12 years. I don't know if you've moved yet, but to me Phoenix has much more golfing options (more options for everything, in my opinion). I'm not sure what your financial situation is, but Scottsdale is a golf Mecca, only very expensive. There's a nice community in South Phoenix called Ahwatukee that has three nice, more inexpensive country clubs - Foothills West, Ahwatukee Country Club, and one other - the name escapes me. Chandler/Gilbert has some excellent courses, though I'm not as familiar with what's out there. I used to practice at a place called Desert Sky Golf in Gilbert. They have leagues there and you can get an all-you-can-practice driving range pass for $65/month. The practice putting area alone kept me busy for countless hours after work last summer.

BTW, if you do move to Phoenix (or Tucson) and need a partner or find out some interesting tidbits, let me know. I've only been playing golf for two years, and have one buddy in Phoenix who plays, but he's rarely around. I've played maybe 20 rounds in my life, and about ten were by myself. I've committed myself this year to continue improving (I shoot mid-80s generally now) and finding some golf buddies. Right now my life is marriage/work/practice golf by myself, and it's getting old. I'm not able to con my wife into letting us join a country club yet, but I've toyed with the idea of joining an amateur tour this year just to get out there.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mmoan2

Osgood,

I live in Phoenix and before that was in Tucson for 12 years. I don't know if you've moved yet, but to me Phoenix has much more golfing options (more options for everything, in my opinion). I'm not sure what your financial situation is, but Scottsdale is a golf Mecca, only very expensive. There's a nice community in South Phoenix called Ahwatukee that has three nice, more inexpensive country clubs - Foothills West, Ahwatukee Country Club, and one other - the name escapes me. Chandler/Gilbert has some excellent courses, though I'm not as familiar with what's out there. I used to practice at a place called Desert Sky Golf in Gilbert. They have leagues there and you can get an all-you-can-practice driving range pass for $65/month. The practice putting area alone kept me busy for countless hours after work last summer.

BTW, if you do move to Phoenix (or Tucson) and need a partner or find out some interesting tidbits, let me know. I've only been playing golf for two years, and have one buddy in Phoenix who plays, but he's rarely around. I've played maybe 20 rounds in my life, and about ten were by myself. I've committed myself this year to continue improving (I shoot mid-80s generally now) and finding some golf buddies. Right now my life is marriage/work/practice golf by myself, and it's getting old. I'm not able to con my wife into letting us join a country club yet, but I've toyed with the idea of joining an amateur tour this year just to get out there.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Just thought of something - rereading your post, saw you were interested in a golf community. http://www.golfat55.com/category/communities/ Stumbled on to this website before. Maybe it will help you find something.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades