• Announcements

• Welcome to the New Site!   09/30/2015

Welcome to the brand new TST! Click the title of this announcement to read more about what's new and different here at The Sand Trap!       We're using some new software to power this forum, and while this means some change, it's for the better. However, there will be a few bumps, and one of those may be that you may have a little trouble logging in to your account. So try this: Log in with your existing username and password.If that fails, reset your password here: http://thesandtrap.com/lostpassword/ .If that fails, PM either @mvmac or @iacas and we'll help you out.After that, check out this thread to share any bugs you find along with your likes/dislikes, and check out this thread to see what awesome new features you can use on this site. Finally, once you're on the site, do a few things if you don't mind: Check your account settings. This is where you can clean up your signature.Edit your profile (to possibly include your GAME Golf account). Do this by clicking "Edit Profile" on your name in the top right corner of the site.Add or replace the cover photo on your profile. They're now Facebook-like dimensions. Change your avatar if it looks distorted, too.
    • Failed Logins   10/06/2015

If you attempt to log in and can not, please email erik@thesandtrap.com or mike@thesandtrap.com (or both) to have your account password re-set. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The basic grip

2 posts in this topic

I have been struggling with consistency lately and I want to start back at the grip. I realized I had a super strong right hand grip and also a somewhat strong left grip. I AM A LEFTY. I started to make my left hand a little weaker and more on top of the club with my trigger finger down the shaft a little. However it just feels so uncomfortable and I think it is due to my right hand grip being do strong and my thumb is all the way on the side of the grip instead of more on top. I would like to mark my golf glove and hand when I play to make sure I am holding the club properly. I was wondering if anyone else does this and what is the perfect markings on the club and the pressure points. I read somewhere that I should hold the club in right hand with bottom three fingers. Should the right hand be more in fingers or in the heel pad area. Please let me know. I want to start becoming more consistent again. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Tough to say for a lefty, because i am a right handed person, thinking backwards like that is not a strong suite :p

For me, i focus on the hand near the butt of the club first, for me the left hand, for you right hand.

I like a stronger grip, if the V's are pointing towards my right cheek to ear, i am close, my right shoulder at most.

So what i do is i take my left hand first, put that on the club, so my thumb runs down just on the right side of the center of the shaft. I make sure the club is supported in the pad of my thumb, the meaty part of the palm just bellow the thumb. This forces the club into the fingers more, than into the palm of the left hand. From there i just place the right hand on the club, so that life lines fit over top of my left hand. Really the two hands fit really good together, its feels natural to me, like the left thumb should fit under the right thumb. (reverse the hands for lefty)

As for pressure points, i believe its the last three fingers of top hand hold most of the pressure in the grip, the bottom hand i have no clue. I never really paid attention to this as much.

I tend to use an overlap grip, though i have intermixed interlocking every once in a while.

As for a more neutral grip, just place the left hand more towards the center, then place the right hand on top. I really focus on what the leading hand is doing (right hand for lefty), then just match it with the right. Its easier to remember this way.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• Why is Polygamy Illegal?
      By Abu3baid · Posted
      I have never been able to understand why there are laws criminalizing polygamy.  It just makes no sense to me what so ever.  Now, maybe it make sense to others and I would love to hear the arguments against why grown adults are not only not allowed under law to marry multiple partners, but are also treated as criminals for doing so? Because of my own religious restrictions I would only be able to marry 4 wives simultaneously and there are very strict rules to do so.  The main one is a man must be able to provide for all of his wives and treat them justly.  So, for example if he bought a gift for one of the wives then he must buy a gift for all.  He must be able to provide each with their own accommodations if they so wish, and must be fair in distributing his time equally.  I really can't come up with a good reason to prevent men from taking multiple wives..  Above, I gave my own justification of why I should be allowed to marry more than one women (not that I would because my wife would kill me, but that isn't the point), and this thread is not to discuss the religious merits of being able to take multiple wives, but rather the justification the law has to limit a man in the number of wives he is allowed to take (religious or otherwise). Obviously with the recent supreme court decision on gay marriage the government will start having a very hard time defending its position.  Once they stopped looking at the marriage definition as 1 man married to 1 woman it will be very hard for them to sit on top of that house of cards.  I have other things to say, but want to see what other things are out there.
    • Gun Laws
      By Silent · Posted
      And, FWI, the only western country in the world with the death penalty.   For me it keeps being mind blowing that people actually believe that a waepons run is the answer to a saver society. Another school shooting and I hear 'yea, let's give teachers guns. Or if some students had them maybe less people were killed'. I can not begin to explain how silly that sounds for us Europeans. I don't mean that disrespectful, but I really don't understand that kind of reasoning at all. Not even a little bit. 'pff yes, we have like a million school shootings while other western countries pretty much don't have them at all. What is the difference, what is the solution. More guns!' It's just mind blowing for me.   Also I read a lot about the need (right) to protect yourself. Looking at it from the victim's point of view. But you can also look at it from the criminal's point of view. If I am a criminal, and I know there's a big chance my potential victim has a gun, I would make sure I bring a gun to the party. In my opinion with more guns in society, the chances of escalation increase big time. Fact is that the murder rate by guns in USA are enormously big and not even close compared to EU. I hear the problem is economical, but in EU there's poverty also. I hear a lot of the deaths are gang related (and therefor don't count?), but here we have criminals shooting each other also making a big percentage of the gun deaths. We are not that different. Yet gun laws are, school shootings pretty much don't happen here, stats death by guns are not even close.... but it's not a gun problem? Maybe not completely, I guess it's also about mentality.
    • My Swing (b101)
      By b101 · Posted
      A quick comparison (annoyingly just lost the draft of this) between the old and the current swing: Old: (annoyingly with the useless camera angle) https://youtu.be/NuK55G0JtzY https://youtu.be/wmUQ63Xh-g4 Current: https://youtu.be/98YtEtrfXGU It's interesting that so many of the same traits are there, but how much of a difference the subtle changes make. Based on the changes I've seen, I'd have assumed they'd look way more different than they do. Definitely much less head movement than before (although could be better still...)SO much more controlledMuch less cutting across the ballThere are a few things to keep working on, as ever: Pressure being more in my right heel/arch rather than going towards the toe during the backswing.Stopping my right elbow from racing out toward the ball to keep my path more right.Still aim to limit head movementAt some point, my wrist angles, and therefore the angle of the club at the top of the backswing probably needs to change. Brian has mentioned this a couple of times, but as ever, I'm waiting on his say-so.Generally though, loads of improvements 
    • 2015 Presidents Cup Discussion Thread
      By mvmac · Posted
      Foursomes matchups. http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/2015-presidents-cup-thursday-foursomes-pairings/?cid=golfchannel_majorshomepage_presidents_cup_leadcontent_position_1_article_headeline
    • Anyone else find it hard to not buy certain golf clubs?
      By mvmac · Posted
      I voted for irons because I certainly have more than I need. I know a lot of golfers are probably the opposite, they can stick with the same irons for years but I like switching it up and love getting a new set more than any other piece of equipment.  For me it used to be putters, I'd switch several times a year, mallet, blades, different grips, etc. 
  • Images

• Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today
  • Blog Entries