• Announcements

• iacas

Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dak4n6

Leading with Heel to Stop Hooks?

4 posts in this topic

Just curious, what is your take on this swing thought: From the top, lead the heel of the club into the ball.

I'm interested especially from the perspective of a persistent unrelenting hooker...

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

If it works for you, great.

It could also lead to shifting the path MORE to the right, worsening a hook.

Awards and Achievements

Why might this move lead to a more in-out path?

OK, I'll add more detail. In the past I would use these to mitigate my hook:

- more vertical swing plane

- slow down a bit

- hold off the face

- weaker left hand grip

These all work for me with varying degrees of consistency however when I'm in a bad hook phase I have to focus pretty hard to execute them. So, a couple rounds ago, I can see I'm entering into another hookey round, but these fixes weren't really working - it wasn't that bad most shots started slightly left with a draw, and only a couple into the trees left. However, I was getting tired of this shot shape.

So, after 18 I played another 9 to see if I could work through it, and I recalled this swing thought from the past (I think it might have been Johnny Miller doing a slow-mo analysis of someone). I had never really paid it much mind, but now I decided to try it, and I REALLY like it. The thing I like the most is it seems to be a one thought fix as opposed to a multi-thought fix as above. So I've played it 1.5 rounds now, and I'm making some really nice contact and hitting a lot of dead straight shots. It's not perfect (I shot a meh 84) as I'm working on the feel and coordination, but I think I'm gonna put this one in my bag.

Originally Posted by dak4n6

Why might this move lead to a more in-out path?

Because in trying to "lead with the heel" you could uncock the club and delay the rate at which your forearms roll and thus the elbow trajectories, thus sending the path right.

I'm not saying it is going to happen, just that it could.

Originally Posted by dak4n6

OK, I'll add more detail. In the past I would use these to mitigate my hook:

- more vertical swing plane

- slow down a bit

- hold off the face

- weaker left hand grip

The thing I like the most is it seems to be a one thought fix as opposed to a multi-thought fix as above. So I've played it 1.5 rounds now, and I'm making some really nice contact and hitting a lot of dead straight shots. It's not perfect (I shot a meh 84) as I'm working on the feel and coordination, but I think I'm gonna put this one in my bag.

The problem as I see it is that they're all "fixes." You are prone to hooking, and a "quick fix swing thought" is not the long-term solution. You can "put that one in your bag" and then you'll be searching again in a week or so when it stops working, or maybe you start block-cutting the ball…

I can't recommend enough putting swings on video and actually diagnosing things, then working on fixing them. Feels change - I've gone through many working on the same mechanics over the years. They come and go, and if you constantly have a reliable source of information (like video) then you can keep improving instead of jumping from one "quick fix" to another.

And if your ball is hooking because the path is too far right, the "quick fixes" may be very, very different than hooking because the face is not right-pointing enough.

Awards and Achievements

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• 2016 TST Partners

GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Golf Evolution
    • GAME GOLF - Digital Tracking System
      Well, I went ahead and bit. Amazon Warehouse Deals has a few for $86 each. I had a $25 Amazon GC from Christmas, so after tax, it's going to be $66. It says the packaging is damaged, but no mention of problems with the device. Here's hoping it comes in good shape, and that it warms up pretty quickly so I can use it!
    • "5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge (February 2016)
      The tournament I was supposed to play in was cancelled , so I played in a shotgun start today. The group I was in played at a quicker pace than the group in front and the group behind us, so I had plenty of opportunities for practicing greenside chipping and bunker shots as well as putting.
    • Jack or Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?
      While I expect it's largely accurate, I was more interested in a link to the actual quote than your paraphrase. The context of the question and interview plus the exact wording gives a clearer understanding of the statement. I accept deeper field of talent, I don't accept that it's automatically 'a ton' or an order of magnitude greater. What's the average score relative to the field (or % making the cut) in the PGA for the Pros vs. the PGA qualifiers from then to now? That could provide some insight to relative gap between majors field depth then and now. I am certain it's gotten harder for the PGA qualifiers to make it tot he weekend. I am less certain by how much the margin has shifted. The reason I stress the Majors and Opens is that size of field and openness to qualifiers is very important in making the top competitors face many elite players with potential to have a hot run of form. You're comparing apples to oranges there. That was ~ 1.5 million players in the U.S., not the world population of golfers. About 26 million golfers today in the U.S. Worldwide in 1920 who knows? But including Europe, Australia, and other 'commonwealth' countries it was likely double that - maybe triple. Also I can find no credible estimate that supports 100 million current golfers worldwide. Most generous is about 61 million. While there are a lot of clubs world-wide, participation of 'casual' unaffiliated golfers per club is not going to be the same as in the U.S. and that's the only way I get a number close to 100 million based on actual data. U.S. golf population talent base roughly tripled between Jack and Tiger and I expect worldwide it was a similar rate of increase. I think since the 1920's the U.S. has had about half the wold golf population, though that's started to decline of late as Asian participation increases. Jack was head and shoulders above highly competitive fields for nearly a generation similar to Tiger. I don't think human abilities change by orders of magnitude in short spans of time so I expect that Jack was an outlier of similar human ability as Tiger. How close and who has the edge is IMO debatable. Were Tiger's achievements (esp. the 'beat the field' streak) tougher than Jack's because of field depth, yes. How much more I'm not as sure as you. Did a relative 'competitive break' from full field events offered by the WGC's help Tiger there? Don't know but it's possible. Combine Tiger's regular wins and Majors and I have no problem giving him the greatest player of all time nod. I just don't think it's as cut and dried or by as large a margin as you seem to. They didn't play against each other so your confidence isn't any more a fact than my uncertainty. We're both estimating. Size of the field actually competing matters too, not just who wasn't invited to the party. I like the idea of a top player field and enjoy watching the events, but if only the top 50 players are playing they all have a better shot statistically than if the field was open to 156 or more players who are still very 'elite' in skill. As you've said in many posts, golf skill performance is highly variable. I agree and that's why I think size of field is relevant to the comparison, because I think the scoring variability of the top 90 golfers in the world overlaps considerably with the next 90 down and even a bit beyond that. That's why I wondered whether WGC wins are a bit less valuable than a major or a full field PGA tour event that's also open to Monday qualifying. Granted the world ranking system is better than it used to be, but it still weights international events more strongly than they deserve. Some of the reasons I think you may be undervaluing Nicklaus' achievement in comparing across eras.
    • "5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge (January 2016)
      I managed to complete the January challenge (without missing a day, I believe). It was a great months' work for my game - having to blog every day sure helps to focus each session.
    • Steel vs Graphite generic question
      S300 is one of the lowest launching steel shafts.
  • TST Blog Entries

• Images

• Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today
  • Blog Entries