IGNORED

Testing out some irons

Note: This thread is 3984 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey guys!

So i'm looking to try out some new irons in the next few days, and I had a couple questions for you guys :D

First of all, obviously knowing which irons are "the best" for me would be pretty much trial and error to see which ones fit me best and to see which ones feel the best to me.

I just wanted to ask you guys if you had any suggestions for irons that I should try out and try hitting?

Here's some info about what i'm looking for: I like irons that are not as chunky or big looking at address, something with a thin top-line. My current irons are Taylormade Rac's from like 2005 or something (they're my dad's old irons). Im looking to get irons that are somewhere in between a cavity back and a blade..is there a name for this? Muscle back? For the price point, thats not too much of an issue as I have been saving up for a long time and I will be using them a lot for tournaments and such, so a little bit on the $$ is not too big of a deal. Right now, I am thinking of maybe the MP-59s, or AP2's? Potentially the S56's as well and maybe some callaways. Anyways, I'd really appreciate your guys' help in this one! Thanks so much for reading :D

Cheers

In my bag...

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.5*

Fairway: R9 3 Wood *15, Tour Edge Exotics 5 Wood

Hybrid: Taylormade 4 Rescue Dual *22

Irons: 4-PW Taylormade Rac's

Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 56.11, Vokey Spin Milled 60.07

Putter: Rife Aussie IBF Tour Edition 34"

Personally I have Cobra Amp Irons and I absolutely love them. They're very very long and straight as well. I can spin the ball and change the flight pretty easily with them as well. I don't like the bright colors on the grips, but the lamkin grips that they came with werent my favorite either. You can easily change those.

I just went through the purchasing process for a new set of irons and I will try to outline my thoughts on the different Irons I hit. From the clubs you mentioned, I think the MP59s are probably more closely related to the AP1s. The AP2s are not very forgiving whereas the AP1s will help in that area a little more while still giving control.

The different clubs I hit included AP2, AP1, MP64, Cobra (Amp Pro?) and Callaway X forged.

AP2: Coming from the 2008-9 model of AP2 irons I wanted to test out the latest model. To me nothing really changed from the irons I had to what I hit. They are solid irons but not as forgiving as what I wanted (why I decided to switch from my AP2s). The feel is the feel you get from a forged club, but nothing special in my opinion.

AP1 : I liked the AP1s, but the Golfsmith store I was at didn't have a full fitting cart from Titleist yet so I didn't go any further than the demo 6iron they had. The shaft combo was not the best fit for me so the results were mixed. Again the feel with these were alright, but nothing special.

Cobra Amp Pro: I really liked this offering from Cobra. The demo 6 iron I hit felt really nice and results were fairly consistent. The feel was very good, probably a little better than the AP1/2 and in line with the Callaways that I hit.

Callaway X Forged: I have never been a Callaway fan. I started playing with a set of X14 steelheads back in high school so I decided to give them a shot. The ball definitely feels good when struck well and the club looks great at address. My results with the irons were not as good as the cobras or the mizunos.

Mizuno MP64: After 1 hit with these irons I understood what the big fuss about Mizuno's grain flow forging process is all about. When struck well you don't even feel the ball coming off the irons. A slight mishit is noticeable once hit; however, they are still forgiving enough that you aren't punished too much. At address these irons look nice, probably not as nice as the Callaways, but a very close 2nd. The overall look of these clubs are very nice, nothing extravagant just a solid design. One thing I liked about the Mizunos and the others might have done this as well and I just didn't notice, but the cavity decreases as you approach the PW. This allows for more forgiveness with your long irons and more control of shot shape with your short irons.

I ended up ordering a custom fitted set of MP64s

In The Bag

Driver: Taylormade Supertri 9.5

3 Wood: Titleist 909 F2 

Hybrid: Adams 

Irons: 3-PW Mizuno MP64

Wedges: Vokey SM2 56* and 60*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback #1

Note: This thread is 3984 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!