IGNORED

how to test wedge grooves?

Note: This thread is 3940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a sand wedge that I think is from 2009 or 2010. I play 2-3 times a week, and practice with the club every day (in my back yard hitting 15 yard and closer chip shots) I was reading a review on a forum regarding a new ball (the Google Chrome+) and noticed that people said the cover scuffs easily. I played with them on Monday and noticed the cover was perfectly intact. I believe that I still get plenty of spin from my wedges, but to be honest, don't have anything to compare it against. Being a lefty, the golf store tends to be a little limited on wedges, so what is the easiest way to tell if I am getting the appropriate amount of spin or if it is indeed time to change the wedge. As an FYI - the wedge in question is an Acer 56 deg. XC wedge.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a bag of tee's some already broken the rest soon to be

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

and an empty bottle of water

I'm not a expert but I saw a guy check his with his thumbnail. He just slid it up the wedge face and said it should catch at every groove. I have a groove sharpener that I bought at Golfsmith. I keep my Cleveland CG14 grooves clean and sharp with it.

DLX cart bag...white/red

R1
913F 15*

913H 19*

G25s 4 iron - U wedge

CG 14 Black Pearl 56* -  60*

... KOMBI 35" 

...ProV1

Originally Posted by clearwaterms

I have a sand wedge that I think is from 2009 or 2010. I play 2-3 times a week, and practice with the club every day (in my back yard hitting 15 yard and closer chip shots)

I was reading a review on a forum regarding a new ball (the Google Chrome+) and noticed that people said the cover scuffs easily. I played with them on Monday and noticed the cover was perfectly intact. I believe that I still get plenty of spin from my wedges, but to be honest, don't have anything to compare it against.

Being a lefty, the golf store tends to be a little limited on wedges, so what is the easiest way to tell if I am getting the appropriate amount of spin or if it is indeed time to change the wedge.

As an FYI - the wedge in question is an Acer 56 deg. XC wedge.

I think you mean the Callaway Chrome +. Unless you are hitting some full shots with this wedge you are not going to damage the ball significantly. This is reserved to new wedges usually with sharper edges and guys that are really going after it. Once your wedge is "broken in" the balls don't shred as much. The spin amount is basically the same as the main purpose for grooves is to channel debris (grass, water, etc) away from the surface allowing a cleaner strike on the ball. If your grooves look damaged or worn down, have a clubmaker check it out.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by 6iron

I'm not a expert but I saw a guy check his with his thumbnail. He just slid it up the wedge face and said it should catch at every groove. I have a groove sharpener that I bought at Golfsmith. I keep my Cleveland CG14 grooves clean and sharp with it.

Yes - I have a club cleaning tool which has a brass groove tool as well.  I have noticed that the point on my tool has a notch which makes me feel that the club face is stronger than the cleaning tool.

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

a snickers wrapper (if you have seen me play, you would know you are not going anywhere for a while)

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

I think you mean the Callaway Chrome +. Unless you are hitting some full shots with this wedge you are not going to damage the ball significantly. This is reserved to new wedges usually with sharper edges and guys that are really going after it. Once your wedge is "broken in" the balls don't shred as much. The spin amount is basically the same as the main purpose for grooves is to channel debris (grass, water, etc) away from the surface allowing a cleaner strike on the ball. If your grooves look damaged or worn down, have a clubmaker check it out.

yes, sorry I did mean the Callaway Chrome+.

I played today again with the same Chrome+ balls, and even with full wedge shots with my new Ping G25 Gap wedge, I noticed the golf ball to be intact.  I also was getting plenty of check up on the greens.

It sounds to me that my wedge is playing fine, so I can continue to play with it, and have no fear that it needs to be replaced.

Thank you for the tips

In my bag:

some golf clubs

a few golf balls

I bought a dozen Chrome + a couple of weeks ago to try them based upon positive reviews and price.  I've played ProV1x and others but I'm not convinced they were worth the money.  I'm not a big spin guy but wow does this thing check up and spin. I've watched full 7i shots back off a green before as we all look at each and laugh.  It almost makes it look like I know what I'm doing.  I love opening up the 60 now and really going after it on short sided shots.  My up and downs have really improved on those shots.   I'm 99% certain they are my ball for the future.  That being said, they do damage easily.  I notice the cover almost looks like a snake skin after a round in spots where the dimples almost look like layers of scale.  Hard to explain.  At $2.50 a ball I don't care and happily replace it because it performs so well IMO.

Note: This thread is 3940 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!