• Announcements

• Happy Thanksgiving!   11/25/2015

Happy Thanksgiving! From @mvmac and I, we'd like to thank all of you for being such awesome members. We have TST because we like golf and golfers, so we wish you and yours the very best today. Thank you!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Having trouble taking the club back on plane?

2 posts in this topic

Throughout much analyzation of my swing, I have noticed something that is so consistently bad in my swing is that I take the club back way to far inside. It is almost as if the club is gliding on the ground in a horizontal arc or making a helix when it comes back. This causes a lot of problems for me from shanking to hooking and whenever I try to take it back on a more correct plane, I hit the ball less solid and more inconsistent. When I feel like I'm doing it right, I look at myself through video and it turns out that I'm doing the same inside backswing as I was before. Does anyone have any drills or any tips that would help me get on a better swing plane? Oh and I forgot to add... I can't get the clubhead square at the top either. It's always closed which probably causes the hook

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Be careful that you don't start chasing your tail. How does your position at the top look? If your getting to a good position at A4 (or P4 if you prefer) than how you got there is largely irrelevant. Don't fix the esthetics of your swing, fix the functionality.

Here is a great thread for you to check out:

Steve Stricker appears way inside too, but this is largely due to the way he sets his wrists late , he hits the ball just fine.

Now, this is not to say that you don't need to fix your back swing, I'm not a pro so I can't make that determination but I highly doubt it's a priority piece for you right now. I would concentrate on the advice given to you here .

Take it from me, a guy with a hard head, you will improve MUCH faster by sticking to what the instructor instructs and not going off on a tangent of self-diagnosis. I struggle with taking my own advice, I have over-educated myself on swing theory and often get waylaid by my own theories and explorations instead of sticking to the program my instructor has laid out for me. It's fun and I like self- exploration but in the long run it is retarding my progress.

EDIT* Start setting (or cocking) your wrists a little earlier in the backswing and you'll appear "more on plane", but like I said, that may be a waste of time and effort that can be better directed towards your actual priority piece. Good luck.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• Trump Makes Up Civil War Battle for Golf Course
      If it isn't fictional battlefields, Trump now has a terrorism detector. Where does he hide it? Apparently, he can feel terrorism before it occurs with some of his latest quotes.
    • Anyone play 5 wedges?
      If you have room for an extra specialty club, do it. I like to fill up the first part of my bag with as much distance as possible to get near the hole. I don't count the PW as a wedge because I typically use it like an iron at 45 degrees. The 50, 55, and 60 are the more specific specialty clubs, with most work going to the 55 and 60.
    • Anyone play 5 wedges?
      I know a lot of you people set in your ways. But has anyone ever played 5 wedges? I've had a weird idea stuck in my head for a couple days.  The top of my bag, the gaps actually are fine. Driver- 260 4-wood- 225 4-iron- 200 (ish) The rest of my bag is OK too.. 9-iron- 142 PW- 130 AW- 115 54°- 98 58°- 84 So with that in mind I'm thinking of yanking my 3-hybrid AND 4-iron, the 4-hybrid back in (I'm working on it, I'm getting close to the same with the 4-hybrid as the 4-iron) and throwing in a fifth wedge... The weird thing is I don't want a 62° or 64°... I'm thinking of getting the Tour Edge 1-out plus Sand wedge... I'm pretty good out of bunkers, however I occasionally hit a thin bullet... And I think it would help with my short sided chips and fast downhillers from over the green at Newman... It would basically a get out of the crap club... Am I crazy? Most people that DO carry 5 wedges probably would do the 62 or 64° wedge. It's a funky idea..  Happy thanksgiving to all... I would be thankful for any suggestions. P.S. I have messed around with one a little... It is pure magic... However, not so good outside 50 yards or so.
    • Trump Makes Up Civil War Battle for Golf Course
      Me, too.  He probably never thought it would get this far.  He probably thought he'd have a few laughs, go to some parties, make some business contacts, set-up the next reality tv series and be hitting golf balls from the deck of his yacht into the blowholes of rare, endangered whale species that he pays local children to coax into underwater pens (I bet that's what he does) months ago.   
    • Higher handicaps should be practicing the short game more [mygolfspy]
      If I look at my Game Golf statistics, my most important shot is hitting the green from 100 to 150 yds, and getting the ball within 15 yds of target. My weakest statistic is GIR. That's my GW  through 7 iron approach shots. I'm hitting one of those on 16 holes per round. That accuracy sets up whether I'm chipping for an up and down, putting for birdie, or lagging for a par, depending upon how well I hit my tee shot.  If I hit my tee shot reasonably well, keeping on the fairway or at least playable I should be doing that. I'm doing this 44% of the time with my driver. I don't mind the first cut or short second cut during the summer.  What's happening is that I'm missing those shots too far wide right or hooking them left. They're not accurate enough, so that mid game is my focus this winter along with about 15% driver just because I have to practice that. I also have to hit my 5 iron of the deck so throw that in there at least one day a week.  Then there's the short game. Right now that amounts to hitting 30 yd, 40 yd and, 60 yd lob shots. Chipping will come in the spring. Putting will also come in the spring. One day a week on short game and putting. I think if I can improve my short-mid game in the 100 - 150 yd range, I'll make big strides next season. @mvmac To underscore the amount of practice, LPGA pro Na Yeon Choi was asked what it takes to become a pro, and she replied - quality instruction and hit 1000 balls a day.
  • TST Blog Entries

• Images

• Today's Birthdays

No users celebrating today
  • Blog Entries