Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joekelly

Explain to me: new grip and no sticky tape

2 posts in this topic

Had some new grips put on at the shop. Also had added 3 wraps of tape to fatten up the grip a bit.  As i watched the tech put on the 3 layers of ordinary masking tape (looked like, was not sticky), then pushed the grip on only an inch, removed the grip, added a small bit of solvent and jammed the grip on using a air pressure gun. Presto. The grips work ok, but how do they stay in place?  Is the tape something special? Will they fail?  Can such grips be removed easily in one piece?

Needless to say i am 'ole skool' and have cans of solvent and rolls of sticky tape in the shed.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Had some new grips put on at the shop. Also had added 3 wraps of tape to fatten up the grip a bit.  As i watched the tech put on the 3 layers of ordinary masking tape (looked like, was not sticky), then pushed the grip on only an inch, removed the grip, added a small bit of solvent and jammed the grip on using a air pressure gun. Presto. The grips work ok, but how do they stay in place?  Is the tape something special? Will they fail?  Can such grips be removed easily in one piece?

Needless to say i am 'ole skool' and have cans of solvent and rolls of sticky tape in the shed.

Friction.

Works fine with the PURE grips I've installed. I just install one-sided tape. I have some thicker Gorilla tape that has a "stickier" side than straight up masking tape, but… masking tape is fine, especially if the grip is stretched over three layers.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades