IGNORED

New Irons

Note: This thread is 3523 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm looking at getting a new set of irons. Right now I have some old nike slingshot oss 4-Pw I bought off craigslist. Lets just say me and these irons do not get along. I want something that is no where near as bulky as these things and not as heavy. I usually shoot around 102-110 and my biggest struggles are with my iron game except my 4-5 iron. What would be a good set to replace these with that once I get a little better will still work fine for me?

Driver-:cleve: 588 Custom 9.0   

Woods-:cleve: Launcher 3 and 5 wood 

Irons- :mizuno: JPX 825 4-GW

wedges-:cleve: CG14 60* and and :callaway: x series jaws 56*

putter-:nike: Method Core Drone

I just recently changed my clubs, looked at many brands and types of clubs,the question are you looking for game improving type irons,i had Cobra SZ irons for many years great club, looked at the new range of Cobra Bio cells and the Ping G25, which are both under the game improving tag, in the end settled on the Pings,a little more expensive, but felt very solid in ball striking. Best if you can try a few brands see what you think suits you the best. Also recommend to get fitted,Ping shops will really look after you ,put you on the right set.

* In My Ping DLX Bag *

Ping G25 driver 12.5 deg

Ping G25 Fairway 16.5 deg

Ping Rapture 2 Iron 18 deg (Alternet 20deg Mizuno Fli-Hi Hybrid)

Ping I 20 Hybrid 20 deg      (Alternet 23 deg Mizuno Fli-Hi Hybrid)

Ping G25 Irons 4-UW

Ping Tour Wedge SS 52 deg

Guerin Rife Barbados Putter (Alternet Odyssey White Ice 6 355g)

Preferred Ball Srixon Z Star.

Yea the only problem is I live in Alaska and I do not have many options on being able to hit clubs before I buy. And the one guy who does club fitting has a very limited selection. I just want some Irons that are forgiving. Distance doesn't matter to me because I can crush the ball off the tee so the only time I have to break out a long iron is on a par 5. Are there different levels of game improvement irons?

Yes there difference in clubs, some have hotter faces than others, Living in Alaska would prove a bit of lack of close golf club supplier, the cobra SZ I bought from a on line supplier when I purchased them back in 2009,finished being a good club, the new range of Cobra Bio cells are a good game improving club, and there some good bargains on some the on line shops, whether you want steel or graphite shafts, there about $100 price difference. I lucky I spend 6 months of the year in Thailand and the other 6 months I Australia, get best of both worlds in buying golf gear.

* In My Ping DLX Bag *

Ping G25 driver 12.5 deg

Ping G25 Irons 4-UW

Nice, I have the Bio Cell driver and it is an AMAZING club for me. But driving is my strongest part of my game. Yea being in alaska is rough on buying some things. It's like a life decision to order a set of 400-600 dollar clubs and then also pay about 50-75 extra for shipping and not even be able to hit a few balls with them.

Yes understand your situation, shelving out the dollars without trying not easy. The PGA store and Dicks sporting are on a par with there prices, think Dicks have free delivery in the states, Cobra bio cell 4-GW $500, Callaway X hot $400, Nike VR-s $300 (good price) Ping G25 $700.

* In My Ping DLX Bag *

Ping G25 driver 12.5 deg

Ping G25 Irons 4-UW

Yea free shipping only applies to lower 48. I was looking at rockbottomgolf.com and they wont even ship cobra clubs to alaska for some reason. Only chain store here is sports authority and pretty much everything they have comes with regular flex shafts as far as irons go. How much does it cost to get irons reshafted since I need stiff flex.

I'm looking at getting a new set of irons. Right now I have some old nike slingshot

Too much to get re-shafted.... better off paying shipping with the shafts you want.  You would be looking at an additional $250-$350 to get them re-shafted.

You will be happy with almost any new set.  I had a friend that had those Nike clubs and they were horrible.  There are really a lot of good clubs out there in the game improvement category.  The bio cell irons from Cobra are good sticks, but they look a little funky.  You can also get the amp cell irons for $299 if you are looking to save a couple dollars and want to stick with cobra.

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yea i figured getting new shafts would cost a pretty good chunk of change. Yea after these nike slingshot's I'm not to keen on Nike except for my putter.

Nike has come a long way though.  I just now got to where I will try some of their clubs.  The slingshots killed it for me.

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

Yea I paid 100 bucks for them a cleveland cg14 wedge, a crospete bag and a old titleist driver so I can't complain as far as getting what I paid for.

Yea I paid 100 bucks for them a cleveland cg14 wedge, a crospete bag and a old titleist driver so I can't complain as far as getting what I paid for.

Yea that's worth every penny...   Sports Authority may be willing to let you order to the store.  They have the inventory and may deliver them for you to pick up from in-store.

JP

Take a look at G25, SLDR and XHot irons.

I tested the G25 irons this spring; really liked them, but ended up reshafting my old irons. (I do not recommend this for you.) The G30 irons have just hit the market, so price cuts coming on G25.

Also consider:

• the TM SLDR irons; from your description, avoid the stock KBS Tour C-Taper 90 - you probably need a heavier shaft, at least a C-Taper Light.
  • the XHot irons (2013 issue): try for shafts heavier than stock Speed Step 85s; you might try XHot Pros, see if they work for you.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Yea the only preference I have for shafts is stiff. The nikes i bought the 4-6 are stiff and 7-pw are regular flex and I hit the low irons better than the highs. Always hook it with the 7-9.

Note: This thread is 3523 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!