IGNORED

Vokey M vs S grind in NJ sand..

Note: This thread is 1842 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

First time poster, 20+ year player with ~9 handicap here.. 

In short- my 60° SM5 M-08b is my favorite club, I make solid contact even on firm lies.. Manipulating the clubface open/close is a relative strength of mine thus the M grind fits me well as a neutral ba striker..  I also hit full/square  shots very well with my 52-F- 12b, but my Cleveland rtx 3 56° 12b is another story. 

I've narrowed my options down to the sm7 56- M(8 bounce) or S grind, but I'm hesitant to get the M as the sand near me is often thicker than thin (south-central NJ). Based on this info, will I be alright with the M grind in thicker sand if I open clubface a little bit? Or, should I shoot for the S with a little more bounce and stick with the traditional advice I keep hearing? 

Thanks in advance, look forward to hearing your thoughts! 

Welcome to TST.   We're glad you've decided to participate.   I'm no expert but there are many others on the forum that will share their knowledge willingly.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have the 56* in F grind, only because it’s the only grind I could get with 14* bounce.   The S grind is 10* bounce, so I chose the additional bounce over the slight relief in the trailing edge offered by S grind.  I’m a huge fan of high bounce for all conditions.  Hell, I’ve played it off of a paved cart path with no issues.

The 56-14 F performs very well out of all bunkers, whether soft or firm.  As does my 60-14 K grind.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

10 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I have the 56* in F grind, only because it’s the only grind I could get with 14* bounce.   The S grind is 10* bounce, so I chose the additional bounce over the slight relief in the trailing edge offered by S grind.  I’m a huge fan of high bounce for all conditions.  Hell, I’ve played it off of a paved cart path with no issues.

The 56-14 F performs very well out of all bunkers, whether soft or firm.  As does my 60-14 K grind.

Have you seen the V grind? It is available only online? it is a great club. Like the M Grind but higher bounce. I got it to replace my old TVD.

5 minutes ago, criley4way said:

Have you seen the V grind? It is available only online? it is a great club. Like the M Grind but higher bounce. I got it to replace my old TVD.

I haven’t.  Nor did I see it anywhere on the Titleist website

Edited by David in FL

In David's bag....

7 minutes ago, criley4way said:

V-Grind

It is on the Vokey website.

Ahhhh.  

Huh.  Only in 10* bounce.  I’m sticking with more bounce, but of course, that’s personal preference.

In David's bag....

Note: This thread is 1842 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!