IGNORED

New irons set up question.

Note: This thread is 1823 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok so I have recently been serious about picking up golf. I went to a fitter to make sure me ordering the right irons and then used a rep to place my order. Now here’s where things get somewhat odd. I decided on the ping g400s and went with the Alta stiff graphite shafts, because I like the endloaded feel. I got them in and these things flex something fierce  is that normal with even stiff graphite shafts or did I possibly get senior shafts by mistake. The shafts are marked S and not Sr. Thanks for any input I have looked around and haven’t found much info. 

First question, did you change the swing weight from what the standard Ping weight is? That can change things. If not, you have a couple options. You could go to a store and find some Pings with the stiff Altas, and compare them to yours. Waggle them, hit them side by side. See if there is a difference. Other option is take them to a golf shop who can at least do a frequency check or load (deflection) test and see if the shafts are at least in the right range for stiff and not senior. S should be stiff, so unless there was a major printing mix up, (which I suppose could happen, though unlikely), not sure how this could be the case.

I figured it would have to be a pretty big mistake for the printing to happen. I am right on the boarder between extra stiff and stiff club head speed. My long irons are a problem with the flex. They definitely waggle a good amount. I had the Mach speed Nike irons before with reg flex steel and they didn’t flex near as much as the pings do. I didn’t know if even stiff graphite shafts have more flex to them than a regular steel shaft. 

No I didn’t change the swing weight as far as I know they are the stock g400s

It could be that you are swinging the graphite faster vs. the steel Nikes. Again if they feel different from what you tried when you bought them though I would go back and see if there is an issue with them.

May I ask if you were borderline stiff/X-stiff on SS with a steel shaft wby did you want graphite shafts in your irons? Or did I read this wrong? 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)
13 hours ago, Vinsk said:

May I ask if you were borderline stiff/X-stiff on SS with a steel shaft wby did you want graphite shafts in your irons? Or did I read this wrong? 

I wanted the graphite shafts for the end loaded feel. I’m a former baseball player and just prefer all my weight at the end of the club. I was swinging my 6i 89-90mph with steel and 90-92 mph with what I thought was a stiff graphite shaft. I live like an hour away from where I was getting my feedback from my swing so going back at this point would be a problem. The rep I ordered from offered to send me new steel shafts dynamic gold s300s then I will just have to have them reshafted. 

Edited by Chadwik24

Are you losing them left with the long irons or too high? Is it a playability issue or just a feel issue? If both, then you may want to reshaft with steel. I know you said you like the weight feel at the end of the club but really on a technical level the steel is going to naturally provide more head weight at least in terms of swing weight because of the greater mass closer to the heads. Beyond that, one can always head weight adjust to get to a certain feel.

2 hours ago, Adam C said:

Are you losing them left with the long irons or too high? Is it a playability issue or just a feel issue? If both, then you may want to reshaft with steel. I know you said you like the weight feel at the end of the club but really on a technical level the steel is going to naturally provide more head weight at least in terms of swing weight because of the greater mass closer to the heads. Beyond that, one can always head weight adjust to get to a certain feel.

My long irons are hitting low and slicing and seem to be coming off the the toe of the club face.  I feel like my hands are so far ahead of the club head then it whips and just pushes a slice that stays about 10 foot high.  

45 minutes ago, Chadwik24 said:

My long irons are hitting low and slicing and seem to be coming off the the toe of the club face.  I feel like my hands are so far ahead of the club head then it whips and just pushes a slice that stays about 10 foot high.  

I would recommend starting a 'my swing' thread.  Feel often times isn't real and you'll get more valuable input from the site about what could be causing your miss.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Chadwik24 said:

Low slice is the opposite of what to expect from a shaft that is too whippy. The shaft could be causing you to do something in your swing to hit low slices but that softer shaft is only going to increase loft and close the face more. Your hands will never outrun the head. It always gets to the ball first.

Note: This thread is 1823 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!