IGNORED

Driver flex/weight/swing-speed query

RichF
Note: This thread is 5921 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm currently hitting a Nike Sasquatch Sumo 460 (stock Diamana Yellowboard, stiff-flex / 65g / 9.5°), and I've developed a nice tempo swing speed with between 95-100mph and I'm carrying it about 250yds.

However, I've noticed that when I want to really crank one and pour on the power and increase my swing-speed just before I make contact, the club shaft feels as though it's lagging behind my hands too much and feels almost too light or whippy.

I was going to try a Sasquatch Sumo 460 Tour with a Diamana Blueboard 83 shaft (again, stiff-flex, 9.5° but 78g weight).

Would this change in driver & shaft help or hinder my driver swing?
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

It sort of depends on if you can control the lag you seem to be generating on your downswing. I mean obviously if you had a heavier shaft the shaft wouldnt be so whippy... I recommend you go with the 78g club as the lag your getting in your current club is actually losing you power in your downswing because it isnt catching up with your hands at impact. A heavier shaft will actually generate more power on the downswing and wont create so much lag. All you will feel is pure power in your arms as you prepare to hit the ball. That is what I found when I tried to hit a heavier shaft, there was too much power to handle, just because I ain't strong enough to handle a 70 to 80 gram shaft as my swing isnt fast enough. Hope this helps.
Wilson Staff Tour Carry Bag:

Staff DD+6 10.5* Proforce V2 Reg
906F4 15.5* Aldila VS-Proto 'By You' 80S Reg585.H 19* Aldila VS-Proto 'By You' 80S RegStaff Ci7 4 - PW w TX 105 RegVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 52* Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56*Harmonized 60* Lob WedgeRossa Daytona 1

It sort of depends on if you can control the lag you seem to be generating on your downswing. I mean obviously if you had a heavier shaft the shaft wouldnt be so whippy... I recommend you go with the 78g club as the lag your getting in your current club is actually losing you power in your downswing because it isnt catching up with your hands at impact. A heavier shaft will actually generate more power on the downswing and wont create so much lag. All you will feel is pure power in your arms as you prepare to hit the ball. That is what I found when I tried to hit a heavier shaft, there was too much power to handle, just because I ain't strong enough to handle a 70 to 80 gram shaft as my swing isnt fast enough. Hope this helps.

MrConsistency - thanks for your reply.

Over the last 6 months, I've noticed that my swing-speed and control has increased significantly to the point where I'm so confident off the tee now without worrying where the ball will end up!
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

Do you like the current shaft you are using or do you like the Diamana Blueboard? I am currently using a Wilson Staff DD6+ 10.5 driver with a 65g Proforce V2 Shaft and I love that shaft. It is just perfect. If I was to recommend any shaft to anyone, if would be that one. Can you get the Nike 460 Sumo with a Proforce Shaft? Or do they just come stock with a Diamana?
Wilson Staff Tour Carry Bag:

Staff DD+6 10.5* Proforce V2 Reg
906F4 15.5* Aldila VS-Proto 'By You' 80S Reg585.H 19* Aldila VS-Proto 'By You' 80S RegStaff Ci7 4 - PW w TX 105 RegVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 52* Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56*Harmonized 60* Lob WedgeRossa Daytona 1

Do you like the current shaft you are using or do you like the Diamana Blueboard? I am currently using a Wilson Staff DD6+ 10.5 driver with a 65g Proforce V2 Shaft and I love that shaft. It is just perfect. If I was to recommend any shaft to anyone, if would be that one. Can you get the Nike 460 Sumo with a Proforce Shaft? Or do they just come stock with a Diamana?

The current shaft is fine...

at the moment . But over the past month, I've been swinging with more authority and consistency than when I first bought the driver with its current Diamana Yellowboard 65g stock-shaft, 4 months ago, so I'm thinking ahead. I'm actually looking at purchasing the Tour version of the Sasquatch with the Diamana Blueboard 78g - but I've also demo'd a Titleist 907 D2 with a Proforce V2 75g shaft and found it quite rewarding, but quite tricky to control. BTW, Sasquatch Sumo 460 comes with the stock shaft or you can have a customization with the Proforce V2 65g or Aldila VS Proto 65g.
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

Just for my two cents, I was recently fitted for a new driver, the TM Burner TP, 9.5, 50g stiff. I spent two days with the launch monitor to see if the numbers were consistent. They were, to a certain degree. The first day resulted in the fitting. In the second day, my spin rate was considerably higher but so was my swing speed. In other words, I was swing harder duiring the second session. The fitter and I agreed that the first day was a better swing as my contact was better, so was my tempo. So, if you think your new harder swing is going to be your "new" swing, I would suggest that you get fitted before assuming that the new shaft will be the answer. Otherwise, just slow down a bit and put more balls in the fairway.
Driver : Burner TP, 9.5, ReAx 50g Stiff flex
Fairway 906F2, 15, V2 85-S flex
Hybrid Rescue TP, 21, ReAx Stiff flex
4-PW X-Forged, Project X Flighted Rifle, 5.0
AW 52, 11 bounce, X-Forged, Project X Flighted Rifle, 5.5SW 56, 13 bounce, X-Forged, Project X Flighted Rifle, 5.5LW 60, 9 bounce,...

Just for my two cents, I was recently fitted for a new driver, the TM Burner TP, 9.5, 50g stiff. I spent two days with the launch monitor to see if the numbers were consistent. They were, to a certain degree. The first day resulted in the fitting. In the second day, my spin rate was considerably higher but so was my swing speed. In other words, I was swing harder duiring the second session. The fitter and I agreed that the first day was a better swing as my contact was better, so was my tempo. So, if you think your new harder swing is going to be your "new" swing, I would suggest that you get fitted before assuming that the new shaft will be the answer. Otherwise, just slow down a bit and put more balls in the fairway.

Patenwilk - I'm finding more fairways now than I have during the last year.

This is down to my swing-tempo and pre-shot setup....especially the latter. But I know what you mean and I'm going back to my club's launch-monitor/computer to see how my stats have changed, if at all, before changing/buying anything. Saturday and Sunday I used the driver and 3-wood off the tee on a total of fifteen Par 4s and 5s, and missed the fairway on six of those, so I'm not too bad!
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

A heavier shaft will be naturally stiffer than the same shaft in a lighter weight. The only way to really get it right though is to go on the launch monitor for a good session. If you don't have one available to you, then hit a few different shafts and pay attention to shot dispersion and distance. If you're all of a sudden losing distance then its either too stiff or too heavy. I don't have a launch monitor where I live, but I experimented with others peoples clubs, and found that the stiffer I went, the straight AND further I hit it.

TaylorMade R11S TP Blur 60 X
TayloreMade R11S TP Blur 70 X

Titleist 910H 21&24
Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW DGX100 Tour Issue
Cleveland CG16 52

Miura Black Wedge 56, 60
Newport 2 Teryllium Ten

Titleist ProV1x

A heavier shaft will be naturally stiffer than the same shaft in a lighter weight. The only way to really get it right though is to go on the launch monitor for a good session. If you don't have one available to you, then hit a few different shafts and pay attention to shot dispersion and distance. If you're all of a sudden losing distance then its either too stiff or too heavy. I don't have a launch monitor where I live,

Were the shaft

weights the same?
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

I went from a 65g S to a 76g X in my driver, and from S in my irons to X. The X shafts in my irons also weigh a little bit more, but that's because the shafts have a slightly larger diameter to give it that extra stiffness.

TaylorMade R11S TP Blur 60 X
TayloreMade R11S TP Blur 70 X

Titleist 910H 21&24
Miura Tournament Blades 5-PW DGX100 Tour Issue
Cleveland CG16 52

Miura Black Wedge 56, 60
Newport 2 Teryllium Ten

Titleist ProV1x

i dont believe that the shaft you use directly relates to your swing speed - i believe its a lot to do with personal preference

i use a much weaker shaft than you would imagine given my clubhead speed but i get a good feel from the flex and it goes well.

i entered an ld comp using a regular flex when everyone else went with the x stiff option

I tested the Titleist 907 D2 (9.5) last night using the following shafts:
* Aldila VS Proto 'By You' / Stiff / 65g
* UST ProForce V2 7070 / Stiff / 76g

With the Aldila shaft, I noticed a higher ball-flight / trajectory and if I tried to really crank one, I experienced a push/fade to the right.
Uisng the heavier UST Proforoce shaft, the trajectory was lower and straighter.

Distance-wise was hard to tell as it was dark and I was on the range and using soft-range balls.

Am testing both this weekend on the course.
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

A heavier shaft will be naturally stiffer than the same shaft in a lighter weight. The only way to really get it right though is to go on the launch monitor for a good session. If you don't have one available to you, then hit a few different shafts and pay attention to shot dispersion and distance. If you're all of a sudden losing distance then its either too stiff or too heavy. I don't have a launch monitor where I live, but I experimented with others peoples clubs, and found that the stiffer I went, the straight AND further I hit it.

Actually that isn't automatically true. Manufacturers tend to make stiffer shafts a little heavier because stronger golfers don't need the marginal extra distance and most stronger swingers need the heft to maintain feel. Stiffness is determined more by where wraps are placed for graphite, steps, tipping, etc. depending on the shaft and materials used.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Note: This thread is 5921 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!