IGNORED

Hitting a lower trajectory?

Lemay427
Note: This thread is 5915 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This season I am wanting to try different techniques to help my score a little. I have been watching the pros come in at pins with a lower ball flight and they still have the spin to stop it. I tried to decrease loft at impact (hitting more down on it) but I am ballooning it. I know this is because I am putting more backspin on the ball and its catching in the wind. Anybody have any tips for acheiving a lower ball flight and still getting the neccesary spin?

My assumption is that I shouldnt come down on the ball too much but come through with a decrease of loft?

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

I'd be interested in responses to this as I am struggling to keep the ball down.

I hit down on the ball in a big way - i come at it very steeply. The ball goes way up! When I hit punch shots (try to at least!) I put the ball urther back, reduce how much i cock my wrists, make a 3/4 swing or less, and try to sweep the club back rather than "lifting" the club up (what i currently do - very steep).

I'm going to the range tonight so hopefully there'll be some more tips here before then!

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

take your wrists out of the shot. This should help keep a lower flight
Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

This season I am wanting to try different techniques to help my score a little. I have been watching the pros come in at pins with a lower ball flight and they still have the spin to stop it. I tried to decrease loft at impact (hitting more down on it) but I am ballooning it. I know this is because I am putting more backspin on the ball and its catching in the wind. Anybody have any tips for acheiving a lower ball flight and still getting the neccesary spin?

I read an article by Zach Johnson regarding low shots. He said to envision a park bench in front of you. As you are swinging through the ball, you want the club to stay low, as if you were finishing underneath the bench.

Give it a try and see if it works.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Here's what I do when I want to keep the ball low through the wind or under a tree:

1- Play the ball back in my stance.
2- Set my hands ahead of the ball.
3- Try to maintain that wrist angle through the backswing and follow-through.
4- Focus on making a low sweeping swing.
5- Take about a 3/4 backswing.

One thing I fight with this is keeping the swing nice and relaxed while still maintaining the wrist angle. When I do misfire, it's almost always a hook.

I concentrate on two things: 1) Like others have said, don't flip your wrist or release the club after impact. Really try to hit the ball with the back of your lead hand.
2) Try to stay down and don't come up and out of the shot with a high follow through like a normal shot. This will help the ball stay down and keep a lower trajectory.
In my Vantage bag:
Driver::905R 8.5*(V2)
3 Wood:Launcher 13*(V2)
Irons:AP2 (Project X 5.5) (3-W)
HybridTWS 19*Gap wedge:CG15 50* Sand wedge:CG15 56*Putter:: XG9 (35")Ball:ProV1X

Take an extra club (swing easier, less spin on the ball therefore it won't go as high)
Play it back in your stance.
Also I like to saw off my followthrough to about shoulder height (watch Tiger hit a stinger and you'll know what I mean)
Think sweep (you still want to hit down firmly but not quite as much as normal) Long shallow divots *hopefully*
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

I had the same problem throughout high school and college and you should definitely try to learn to hit the ball lower. I was using Ping Eye 2's and probably regular flex shafts with a fast swing speed for the longest time. I used to hit mile-high iron shots...pretty hard to control.

I tried these tips listed above (specifically keeping the ball a little more back in my stance and hands ahead at address), but the big change came when I got blade irons and extra-stiff shafts, and an extra stiff shaft on my driver. I am convinced that a lot of cavity back clubs like Ping Eye 2 launch the ball too high for good players.

I like my trajectory control now all the way down to PW, but I still want to get my sand wedges lower...

R7 TP 8.5* Fuji Speeder x-stiff (heavy,low,fade set)
975F 3W 13.5*
FX Tour Grind Nickel 3-PW +1/2", Rifle 6.5
Vokey SW 52*
CG10 LW 60* 3 dot (14* bounce) Tracy putter 35" (hit R but putt L)+ 1 club TBD...Past home courses: Unicorn GC (Stoneham, MA), Forest Creek GC (Round Rock, TX)Ball: Use...

Hitting it low is boring.

DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

Hitting it low is boring.

BRILLIANT!

-----------------------------------------------------
Driver - MX560 10.5 stiff
Hybrid Tour Edge rescue 18 degree
Irons - Knife 3-PW
Wedge - SV Tour 58 deg.Putter - Harmonized 425 Soft TouchBall - e6+or Feel

good tips... thank you

im going to try and get the wrists out of it and take more club. I'll see how this work later this week when the weather clears.

Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons

1) play the ball back in your stance.

Do both of these and thats how it is done.

DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

This is weird as I've been trying to enlightened myself to produce higher ball flight. I've been a very low ball hitter. How low? It's like the half of your normal ball flight.

But I'm beginning to get over it and I think I can give some inputs on doing what I did.

First of all you definitely have to hit down on the ball, well that's how you hit good irons, isn't it? Just let the loft do the work. Get the feeling that you're hitting down the turf and actually take divot about 3 inches in front of the ball.

Secondly, which I'd done for few months, is my right arm (I'm a RH golfer) always finished at shoulder high or slightly above the chest, but due to momentum thing it actually finished at around my ear's high. The key in doing this is to stop your swing (don't let it finish) just after the club head impacts the ball.

Third, just watch the ball takes off lower than normal, penetrating and spins like crazy.

Hope my experience helps.

What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

hitting down on the ball doesnt mean the shot will be low. i hit down on it and harder i hit down i produce more backspin, which sends the ball higher than normal. my main focus on hitting it lower was watching the pros bring in their under 100 yard shots in real low and checking them up. it seems that they can control distance because they arent worried about having the ball spin back on them. i watch tiger just check his approach shots in perfect while others send it in high and they spin it back to much (what i do). it makes sense if you look at the angle the ball is coming in at. if the ball has the same amount of spin regardless if you hit it low or high, the lower ball will less likely spin back as it coming in with a more penetrating ball flight. it will just check up, which is key when your trying to master the wedges.

Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons

hitting down on the ball doesnt mean the shot will be low. i hit down on it and harder i hit down i produce more backspin, which sends the ball higher than normal...it makes sense if you look at the angle the ball is coming in at. if the ball has the same amount of spin regardless if you hit it low or high, the lower ball will less likely spin back as it coming in with a more penetrating ball flight.

I agree with you, but if I may I would like to add that low trajectory ball flight is produced with low finish (it's like you're holding off). Moreover, the emblem/logo of your glove move towards the target more instead of going up during the beginning of follow through/after impact.

Similar concept with bunker shots. You finish high to get the ball out higher and you finish low to get lower trajectory.
I took several lesson from our local pro last year to address that issue. He had me tee the ball lower. It seemed to work for me.

I thought the ball is in the fairway as we speak?

What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

Note: This thread is 5915 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!