IGNORED

Excel spreadsheet

dennyjones
Note: This thread is 1572 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Thanks to @Club Rat, I have a 2019 excel handicap spreadsheet that works real well.  Now that 2020 has changed several things I'm wondering if some of you Excel wizards can give me some insight to a few unusual functions.   

I'd like Excel to look up the information on the National Course Rating Database and return par, rating and slope for each course that I play.    I'd like to input course and tee and have Excel return the stated data.   I realize I could do this manually, and I am as I watch NFL football (great game watching Houston and Buffalo).    I know Excel has the ability to import external data but to do a search on NCRD and return the correct data is something that is currently above and beyond my knowledge.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 hours ago, dennyjones said:

look up the information on the National Course Rating Database and return par, rating and slope for each course that I play. 

You should start by building a data base of only selected courses which meet your criteria.
Assuming you are wanting to use the data to calculate your handicap.

Add a new sheet to your exiting workbook and call it "Courses"
Then when you play and enter your scores, you can use a Data Validation - Drop Down menus to select the Course/Tees/Rating/Slope
which will input the information into the spreadsheet.

You can add a Link for the individual State or the Home NCRD page for quick reference.
Select any or all Courses you play and Copy and Paste the info into your Course page.
You can always add data from any courses at later dates
Once you have the info entered the Ratings, them all you will need to do is enter scores on dates you play.

Honestly, it would be easier to do it for you than explaining full details.
I will enter a couple of courses and set it up and then explain how you can simply add new courses. 
Send me a PM with your current Excel.

Below are examples of using the search on their site

http://ncrdb.usga.org/NCRListing.aspx

http://ncrdb.usga.org/courseTeeInfo.aspx?CourseID=26849

CRating.PNG

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Thanks @Club Rat,   That much I've done.   I spent last night while watching football looking up each course, copying par, rating, and slope.   I was just wondering if there was an "exotic" way to actually have Excel look up and retrieve that manual labor.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

42 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I was just wondering if there was an "exotic" way to actually have Excel look up and retrieve that

The situation with the 

look up the information on the National Course Rating Database

Is that the site requires users to "SELECT" entries. When a user uses these functions, it opens the page related to the users request.
Therefore, with using Excel functions are not possible, due to the many individual pages of various data.

There are work arounds which you can utilize. Such as "imputing" data after a round played, via manually.
You could simply input the scores from the course using Google Sheets Mobile App and have it linked to an Excel program or use the Google Sheets Web application as you main directory instead of an Excel program.

The benefit of using Google Sheets is access on you phone at any time.

If you wanted the entire data from NCRD listed in your spreadsheet, it could provide the links to each course.
It's a ton of courses and info to have, but a possibility.

Another option is to input scores using a mobile app such as Golf GameBook or possibly Game Golf.
Then the data can be accessed at any time after your round.
Golf GameBook allows users the ability to "Export Round" as an Excel format spreadsheet.

I think the better solution would be to use Google Mobile App to build your data as time goes on.
Entering scores on courses already established is easy and quick and adding new course data only take a small amount of time.

Question? I am assuming you are only interested in entering Course Name, Tee's Played, Slope Rating to calculate daily updates
to your Index? 

19 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

As always, thanks so much for your insight. 

Send me your SS, I will upload it to Google Sheets and dress it up 4U.

If you don't use it afterwards or have any suggestions for change, it will be a WIP.

I think I can add some cool features and easier methods to track your rounds...

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 1572 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!