IGNORED

Rust on shafts

Note: This thread is 1347 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I’ve had some rust on my 8i steel shaft which is getting replaced but I’ve noticed something on my 9i and a couple of others and can’t tell if it’s a ding or rust putting. What’s everyone’s thoughts? The pic with several marks is the 8i shaft after the rust was cleaned up and the other is the 9i shaft. I’m hoping it’s just a ding as I don’t want to have to send the whole set back. My clubs are always dried off and cleaned down.

7B19740C-1E20-4B68-A262-CC51DF890687.jpeg

D49E6BCD-ACF1-4060-B339-B8CF2EA3B07E.jpeg

If this is a surface spot, then it's the oxidation of the chrome plating, just clean it up.  Search for methods of cleanin the oxidation on chrome plated surface.

On the outside of chance, Condensation will collect moisture inside the shaft and cause rust spot to show up under the chrome plating.  

Next time when you change grips, shine a spotlight into the shaft from the opening on the butt end to see if there is rust or discoloration.  If there is dark coloring, wipe it and see if in fact the dark coloring was caused by surface rust.

In wet or humid weather, I always break the grip tape which is customary to close the end of the shaft to prevent the solvent from getting into the shaft which applying the grip.  Even with the used set of golf clubs with iron shafts, always check and break the sealed end with a tee inserted into the vent hole.  This will help the moisture and/or condensation to escape from inside the shaft.

I use air to install/remove grips now so no need to seal up the end ot the shaft to prevent solvent from leaking into the shaft. 

If the inside of the shaft is not rusted badly and the thin film of discoloring could be cleaned up, no worry just play the set.  But if there is evidence of accumulated rust, then I would change the shaft sooner then later for you don't want to get hurt or injury someone else in case the shaft snapped during play.

If, the inside of the shaft is clean, then I would contact the manufacturer for replacement.  It could be a defect cause by improper care during the manufacturing steps.  Or it could be improper storage of the new shafts which will cause the rust to start.    It rarely happens but I had seen it.   In other cases it could be the the chrome plating was not done properly.

Were these the original OEM shafts and what kind is it ?  

Edited by Release
  • Like 1

Note: This thread is 1347 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!