IGNORED

Undercutting With the Right (Rear) Hand, Resulting in a Slice, How to Fix That?

DrMetal
Note: This thread is 1355 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm undercutting with my right (rear) hand, resulting in a slice. (swinging it like a baseball bat!)   I know this is a common mistake, and I know you want your right hand (right palm) to be square at impact (I think it's been said that your right hand mirrors the club face: undercut it, and you slice, overturn it, you get a hook, you want the palm to be square at impact). 

I'm just not sure how to do this.  Where in my swing should I be consciously thinking about my right hand, trying to square up the palm at impact?  

• iacas changed the title to Undercutting With the Right (Rear) Hand, Resulting in a Slice, How to Fix That?
  • Administrator

(Joke) So… stop undercutting with the right hand.

"Patient: Doc, it hurts when I do this. Doctor: Don't do that."

Anyway… most slices are hit with a face that's actually pretty square, and the path is well to the left.

Can you answer this for me: what is your start line like?

Where does the ball travel for the first 50 yards of its flight? What direction?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

33 minutes ago, iacas said:

(Joke) So… stop undercutting with the right hand.

"Patient: Doc, it hurts when I do this. Doctor: Don't do that."

So painfully true! (I'm actually a doctor, I tell my patients that all the time!)   I know I'm undercutting with my right hand, I can feel it.  I just cant mentally fix it; it's almost like I can't consciously think of my right hand and what it's doing.  I don't know how to get control of it. 

36 minutes ago, iacas said:

Can you answer this for me: what is your start line like?

Where does the ball travel for the first 50 yards of its flight? What direction?

I think my start line is off too; I'm swing the club towards my left.   For the first 50 yards of flight, my ball is actually pretty straight.  (starts to slice thereafter). 

I took a less once from a guy who taught me to change my grip to this:  grab the club with the head angled 45 degrees, then twist my wrist to make the club face square at address (essentially my palm is facing out (see pics below).  It worked to some degree (but if I overdo it, I hook it).  Thoughts? 

IMG_20200902_191931.jpg

IMG_20200902_191950_1.jpg

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, DrMetal said:

For the first 50 yards of flight, my ball is actually pretty straight.

Then work on your path first. Your club face is not too bad.

Now, you likely still swing left because the face was open at one point, and if you just start swinging "straight" it'll probably be open again, but your face is probably square or only slightly open right now, at impact.

Take a stronger grip, keep the right hand on top taking the club back (so the toe doesn't roll up), and then swing out to the right.

• Like 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Take a stronger grip, keep the right hand on top taking the club back (so the toe doesn't roll up)

Can I ask: what do you mean by the toe rolling up?  I think I might be doing this (I cusp my left hand during my take away). 

• Administrator

The toe points up | rather than being like / from the down-the-line view at A2.

Note: This thread is 1355 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!