dagolfer18

Lonnie Poole Golf Course

3 posts / 399 viewsLast Reply

I’ve got something really exciting coming up: my birthday, a week from today! Part of my birthday this year, we agreed, will be us going to play a nice course that we’ve never played before, and he said I could pick, but if I couldn’t decide, he had a few courses in mind. I thought of a few courses that I’ve wanted to play for a while:

1) UNC Finley GC

2) Lonnie Poole GC

3) Olde Liberty GC

I did my homework on all three, and decided that option number two would be the best bet. So it’s settled, all we’ve gotta do is make the tee time. We’re either gonna play on the Sunday after my birthday (we’ve got plans that Saturday), or the weekend following that, two weeks away.

So my question to y’all is: have you ever played Lonnie Poole? If so, how was it?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You won't be disappointed. It's a gorgeous course, but you better make sure you're a good bunker player! Sand is everywhere. Pretty forgiving off the tee with wide fairways but sand traps strewn throughout nearly all of them. Out of all the courses I've played, this one probably takes the cake for being the best maintained. After all, they do have all of the college students majoring in golf course management taking care of it. 

6 hours ago, bogeydaze said:

You won't be disappointed. It's a gorgeous course, but you better make sure you're a good bunker player! Sand is everywhere. Pretty forgiving off the tee with wide fairways but sand traps strewn throughout nearly all of them. Out of all the courses I've played, this one probably takes the cake for being the best maintained. After all, they do have all of the college students majoring in golf course management taking care of it. 

I’m alright out of fairway traps, but greenside bunkers give me fits. I could probably save two strokes on sand play alone, because I’m usually in at least one greenside bunker per round. Nonetheless, I’m really looking forward to playing the course! I’ve heard a lot of good things about it. I looked up the scorecard for the course, and there’s a tee box one up from the normal tips (two up from championship tees) that’s 6500 yards. I’m probably gonna play that.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades