IGNORED

Concealed carry while golfing?

DirtCheap
Note:Β This thread is 5881 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

wow..

whats the difference between camping out in the middle of no where and golfing out in the middle of no where?

i bet you would have wanted your kid to have one if he was sitting in class at v tech the day that assh%le decided to shoot everyone up.

so if we take the guns away from the law abiding public and let the criminals have them because you cant get "illegal" firearms out of public, then what do we have?

its personal safety. i live in st. louis, mo...last month a guy came into a suburb of st. louis, mo. kirkwood, mo. during a council meeting a man opened fire killing the public works director, 2 councilmen, 2 police officers and severely injuring the mayor (still in hospital). one could say, "well the city hall should be secure, so why have guns?" why is a golf course safer than a city hall, guarded by 2 policemen?

AGAIN, WE ARE LOOKING AT EXTREME SITUATIONS. ALL THE GUY WANTS IS TO PROTECT HIMSELF IF SOMETHING SHOULD ARISE.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
People who think they need to carry firearms on golf courses scare me. What's next? Church? Cuz, you know, someone could take out your kid while she was sitting in the front pew. It could happen...

I seem to recall reading a few weeks ago the story of some crazy guy who went into a church and was bent on shooting a bunch of people. Instead, a woman and a former police officer (or something) shot him and killed him before he could harm a bunch of other people. Colorado Springs, I think.

So, yeah, bad timing on that example...
Of course it could help with that really slow foursome. You could fire a warning shot and I am sure that you would get no arguements in letting you play through. Better yet, you could be a ranger. That would keep things on schedule.

I don't think a thread like this is the best place for that kind of humor.

Guns are for violence and killing people and not for the golf course.

I could argue that guns are for protection. Or for providing food. Only when they're used for violence are they for violence. Same with knives. Or a baseball bat. Or a brick. Or your fists.

I am totally against gun ownership in society by anyone- all it does is cause proliferation-like nuclear weapons etc.

No, it doesn't. Combined with your "Wild West" comment, it's fairly obvious you've not really given this topic much actual thought.

Have you read any of the many books on gun crime written by criminologists? Most of them start out personally favoring the removal of guns from society but end up, through research, changing their minds. They see that guns protect more people than they harm. They see that areas with high gun ownership rates among homeowners have less crime. And on and on... I'm not going to re-hash all the points they make in those books because I think you need to read a few of the books yourself.
We get on ok in the UK without the common necessity of gun ownership.

How do you explain the rise in violent crimes that England saw when it enacted strict gun laws? If guns are outlawed, only the outlaws will have guns. Doesn't sound like very fair odds, does it?

I'm not going to get into it because I'm quite confident and happy with my position and views on this issue. Go read up on the issue and come back when you have something meaningful to contribute. For the record, I don't carry my gun on the golf course, but I've got two: a 9mm and a "for fun" .22 with a sight. The 9mm is in a combination lock under my bed with a clip beside it. My wife enjoys shooting sometimes, my daughter will not fear guns and will be well educated about their precautions, uses, etc., and so on. I know my rights as a human being and will act appropriately if someone should ever violate me or my family by attempting to rob or harm us.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't remember if this was a local story, but a few years ago, there was a problem at a course that was adjacent to railroad tracks. There was a secluded hole where kids were robbing people at knife point. There may even have been one instance where one had a gun. I can't remember the specifics. They would then jump the fence and disappear down the tracks.

I am not a gun owner and don't plan on owning one ever, but at the same time I have no issue with those who do. Unfortunately we live in a society where people put less value on human life than they have in a long time. If you need to carry to feel safe, so be it. There are a lot of courses in my area that run through sub divisions. How hard would it be for some guy to park his car on a street by one of the holes and walk up to a group that was playing, rob them, and be in his car gone in no time?
Driver: 9.5Β° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.Β° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0Β° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0Β° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58Β° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

OK Iacas...guns should not be glamorised though- tackle poverty etc and no one will need to own a gun in 300 years time...but lets not get in to this.

Even if this were remotely true - it's not as if anyone ever heard of a middle class guy at an office going postal - we aren't living 300 years from now.

I'd be far safer at Erik's place than any "gun free" zone.

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

whats the difference between camping out in the middle of no where and golfing out in the middle of no where?

Only reason to have a gun in the woods is for hunting. I don't hunt, therefore I don't carry while I backpack.

i bet you would have wanted your kid to have one if he was sitting in class at v tech the day that assh%le decided to shoot everyone up.

Great a shootout in the halls. More guns, more bullets, more stray bullets. You make it sound like my kid is the second coming of Jack Bauer...get a grip.

Second, when the cops or security do arrive, looking for a "student with a gun" how do I know they are not going to mistake my kid for the shooter? Target ID is real problem when you have 20 year olds running around with pistols in the hall and ONE of them is the bad guy.
so if we take the guns away from the law abiding public and let the criminals have them because you cant get "illegal" firearms out of public, then what do we have?

Who is talking about taking guns away entirely? Do not confound the

regulation of ownership with a ban on all weapons.
its personal safety. i live in st. louis, mo...last month a guy came into a suburb of st. louis, mo.....AGAIN, WE ARE LOOKING AT EXTREME SITUATIONS. ALL THE GUY WANTS IS TO PROTECT HIMSELF IF SOMETHING SHOULD ARISE.

If that is your logic, than why not drive an Abrams tank and wear a bullet-proof vest to pick up the groceries? You never know, a war might break out.

In My Grom Bag:
Rapture Driver (10.5*)
Rapture 3 wood (14*)
G5 22* Hybrid
Eye 2+ (Blue-Dot) 4-PW iWedge 54/60 PAL-2i (Isopur); G2 ZSB Pro V1xHome Course: Rio Salado Golf Club (63.6/101)

Thanks divot

some people should have guns but not the common man in the streets, unless licensed...it works in the UK-we have gun crime, but so much less than in the US.

Guns will be outlawed one day, just like the ban on public executions etc.

I carry concealed where my CHL will permit (see sig). I don't open carry at the course, but I have a sub-compact .40 that's with me.

In my bag you'll find:

Irons[SIZE="1"] Big Bertha X-Fuision 5 ~ PW (graphite)
Hybrids 3DX Genex 2i (17*) and 4i (23*) (steel)
SW 256.10 Vokey Black Nickle (56* / 10*) (steel)LW 260.4 Vokey oil can (60* / 4*) (steel)Woods G2i (17*) 3w (graphite)Putter 34" Newport Detour

• Administrator
OK Iacas...guns should not be glamorised though- tackle poverty etc and no one will need to own a gun in 300 years time...but lets not get in to this.

Nobody's glamorizing them.

And much of the U.S.'s "gun problem" would probably be solved by fixing poverty. I don't remember the statistics off-hand, but if you eliminate black-on-black gun crimes in poor neighborhoods, you lop an incredible amount of gun crime from the U.S. average. The U.S. has a violence issue, but that comes from a poverty issue. That's the conclusion a lot of the criminologists come to as well.
Even if this were remotely true - it's not as if anyone ever heard of a middle class guy at an office going postal - we aren't living 300 years from now.

Also true. We live now. Save your utopian ideals for a utopian time.

Another stat I remember (I believe) from one of the books I've read: armed victims of violent crimes are 3x more likely to escape death or serious injury than unarmed victims.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

You people are freaking me out.

http://www.edhat.com/site/tidbit.cfm...urce=edhat.com http://www.theroyalgazette.com/sifto...d7b4ab30030011 I can find hundreds of others as well. It's not 'craziness'. It's called self-defense. No one is talking about pulling out a gun due to a flop shot. But I guarantee you are the type of person that would be yelling about there not being enough security on the golf course if it were to happen. Heck, no one thinks that you are going to get shot in the back of the head at a McDonalds, but it happens. Or while in class, but it happens. Or in a court house, but it happens. Or in Church, but it happens. Welcome to 2008. Where preparation doesn't mean craziness.

In my bag you'll find:

SW 256.10 Vokey Black Nickle (56* / 10*) (steel)LW 260.4 Vokey oil can (60* / 4*) (steel)Woods G2i (17*) 3w (graphite)Putter 34" Newport Detour

is the problem that bad in the states?....Penguin?

It's not a common occurance, but if it happens to you it then becomes common enough. And it's not like crime is rampant just over here. My wife was in Leeds for a few months and a man ran over another man, pulled out a jug of petrol and then proceeded to convince him that he would be better off as a candle. Crime happens everywhere and the best thing to do is to learn how to defend yourself. I can tell you this much, a golf club won't stop me if I want to take something from you. I spent 5 years in the Corps and have been hit with a lot of things worse than a club. Plus, using a club now puts them too close into your safety zone. You'll get 1 swing before an assailant is upon you. Once that happens, you best have some grappling skills because that is where it is going.

In my bag you'll find:

Divot.......

give me a break. to each his own. i carry when i go camping with the family. i carry when I am in situations where I am by myself. i will shoot if someone threatens my life, safety, etc. I will also shoot if someone threatens my family's safety, life, etc.

i could care less what you think guns are for.

all i know is that if some asshat wanted to do harm to you or your family and he had a weopon, you would either be dead, injured, or robbed. if you had some sort of firearm protection, the likleyhood of coming out of a situation like that would be increase greatly.

obviously disregard what i said if your real name is chuck norris, rambo, or terminator. you dont need weopons

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

now, here is a subject that could be debated more widely...

No they aren't. Guns can be used for sport (hunting and target) and for self defense. That's like saying cars are just for destroying the environment...

Youve just highlighted one of the problems of opening the great game of golf up to the masses.

Yes, golf was so much better when you had slaves working the greens and running your bag...

I am totally against gun ownership in society by anyone- all it does is cause proliferation-like nuclear weapons etc.

That makes no sense.

People who want guns are living in a bygone era i think- it shouldn't be the wild west anymore.

You're right. You have no crime.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/6230550.stm

In my bag you'll find:

• Administrator
Great a shootout in the halls. More guns, more bullets, more stray bullets. You make it sound like my kid is the second coming of Jack Bauer...get a grip.

It would have taken one person with a gun a few shots to kill the gunman. He's not going to then start running around spraying bullets. By the time the police or security would have arrived, he'd have stopped shooting and would probably have gone to aid students that were hurt by the wackjob.

Look up the Colorado Springs story I mentioned earlier. One woman killed a gunman, saving the lives of plenty of others.
Second, when the cops or security do arrive, looking for a "student with a gun" how do I know they are not going to mistake my kid for the shooter? Target ID is real problem when you have 20 year olds running around with pistols in the hall and ONE of them is the bad guy.

Oh bull. After the gunman is killed, what, everyone's just gonna pull out their guns and run around firing them? C'mon.

The anti-gun people love to make up situations. Their only real weapon is emotion and hyperbole. "Think of all the poor children who get killed," they'll say. Read books by those who have studied facts, not those who want to tug at your heartstrings or cite examples of abuse. For every kid that's killed by a handgun I'll show you several who drown in pools or something.
Who is talking about taking guns away entirely? Do not confound the

Reasonable gun owners aren't opposed to regulations either. A five-day waiting period's not a big deal. Sure, criminals don't have to wait, but most of us can live with a waiting period.

However, stupid regulations are just that: stupid. How many shots are fired in an average gun fight? Something like 2.7 or so... so why limit clips to 10? That's a stupid regulation that did nothing but make "criminals" out of people who have never and would never use a gun improperly.
If that is your logic, than why not drive an Abrams tank and wear a bullet-proof vest to pick up the groceries? You never know, a war might break out.

Hyperbole.

I used to carry my 9mm when I'd drive to boat launches to launch my kayak. It was dark, and some access points (for a kayak - not even a full boat) were not in the best of places. I was prepared to protect myself if anything happened, be it a wild dog attacking me or some crazy person.
some people should have guns but not the common man in the streets, unless licensed...it works in the UK-we have gun crime, but so much less than in the US.

Look up the stats again. I think you'd be surprised.

Also, the common man is exactly who should have guns. Read the books.
Guns will be outlawed one day, just like the ban on public executions etc.

Again, my dad used to have a bumper sticker inside his gun case that said:

"If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns." Australia tried to ban guns a few years back and saw a dramatic increase in violent crime. Why? The criminals knew the good, honest, "common man" was no longer able to fight back. They could enter houses and abuse or rape people without much fear of having the business end of a firearm pointed their way. If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

• Administrator
obviously disregard what i said if your real name is chuck norris, rambo, or terminator. you dont need weopons

That's hilarious!

there is a lot of anxiety in this thread- could it be that the fear of crime massively outweighs the probability of becoming a victim of crime.

look at the video clip i posted earlier of the lady in her house who is paranoid about being robbed/burgled in her own homeetc.

..my advice to her is- if she can afford a weapon like that she can afford a decent house alarm system linked directly to the police.

or /(and), get a big dog- Alsatian/ German Sheppard- highly intelligent and they don't miss a thing..you d get ample warning of an intruder and they'd probably scare any would be theif off!

Note:Β This thread is 5881 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!